picking the right exhaust? !?!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on picking the right exhaust? !?! within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a stock 2002 wrx, I would like to replace the exhaust with something that will sound nice (not ...

picking the right exhaust? !?!

I have a stock 2002 wrx, I would like to replace the exhaust with something that will sound nice (not loud and obnoxious) but more importantly give me low end acceleration. .more horsepower!! but I do not know what to get, or what the difference is between a catback or turboback? what would you guys do? any links or suggestions on where to find something would be awsome.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

Cat back vs. Turbo Back exhaust

For a cat back its all going to be sound and look preference. When you change the downpipe (this will also require you to tune the ECU) catted vs catless will also affect the sound of which ever exhaust you chose to go with.

Catted Downpipe vs. Catless Downpipe - NASIOC

before worrying about an exhaust I would check and see if the uppipe has been changed if not that should be one of the first priorities some of the others would read the forums a bit before just diving into engine performance upgrades.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Cobb Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Shifter Bushings | Stoptech Pads & Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | OEM STI & Morimoto Mini H1 Quad HID Retrofit | XSB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley | Perrin Cold Air Intake | CNT Catted Divorced Downpipe W/Titanium Wrap and Grimmspeed Heatshild | Grimmspeed Pink Radiator Shroud & Alternator Cover

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX Build

For External Use Only irickchad's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    A turboback will give you horsepower, while a catback will only give you sound. You'll also need a tune for a turboback.
    I have an STi with an intake and no tune, I never change my oil, and my wheel spacerz are mad tyte.

I Support ClubWRX
    The 02-05 WRX's respond pretty well to a turbo back on the stock map. The stock tune is pretty rich and it's ECU control is different than the later years. That being said, you will be better off getting a tune because your car will run better (and you will produce more power). Personally, I'd tune it as you won't see the FULL benefit without tuning, but you won't blow anything up. Newer cars with the 32-bit ECU's require a tune for an aftermarket down pipe, or else bad things happen.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    The 02-05 WRX's respond pretty well to a turbo back on the stock map. The stock tune is pretty rich and it's ECU control is different than the later years. That being said, you will be better off getting a tune because your car will run better (and you will produce more power). Personally, I'd tune it as you won't see the FULL benefit without tuning, but you won't blow anything up. Newer cars with the 32-bit ECU's require a tune for an aftermarket down pipe, or else bad things happen.
    Correction: 02-03.

The Blobeye WRXs require an ECU remap for a TBE.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly stock 2015 STi - Seeking B-Stock supremacy
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon (SOLD)

Zach | Moderator | Now chock-full of more subforums! |
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

sorry, I really don't know how the forum thing works yet. but I'm looking to replace the uppipe and everything in the back end of the turbo too. does anyone have any suggestions of a reputable website to get that all from, maybe even a little cheaper lol. also how much should I expect to spend to tune the vehicle?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Correction: 02-03.

The Blobeye WRXs require an ECU remap for a TBE.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    definitely. nice catch.

Quote Originally Posted by mickey_ View Post
    sorry, I really don't know how the forum thing works yet. but I'm looking to replace the uppipe and everything in the back end of the turbo too. does anyone have any suggestions of a reputable website to get that all from, maybe even a little cheaper lol. also how much should I expect to spend to tune the vehicle?
    contact a vendor here.

Yeah, I've always wondered how to tune these cars. I don't know if you have to bring it to a tuning shop, or buy an AP and bring it to a shop.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Gudentite View Post
    Yeah, I've always wondered how to tune these cars. I don't know if you have to bring it to a tuning shop, or buy an AP and bring it to a shop.

It really depends on your mods and your goals. You can use the AP and the off the shelf (free) maps if you follow the map notes. If you want a pro tune (customized to your car) then you can go to a professional tuning shop (there are also some on line "E-Tuners" are available), some of which prefer to use the AP, and some use open source (tactrix cable) tuning. Lots of options.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    It really depends on your mods and your goals. You can use the AP and the off the shelf (free) maps if you follow the map notes. If you want a pro tune (customized to your car) then you can go to a professional tuning shop (there are also some on line "E-Tuners" are available), some of which prefer to use the AP, and some use open source (tactrix cable) tuning. Lots of options.
    Alright, I was just wondering. I'm just thinking about getting a downpipe at the most. I just didn't want to buy an AP for one mod.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.