Subaru WRX Forum banner

What mods do I need for 360 whp?

49K views 40 replies 16 participants last post by  Trackrider54 
#1 ·
So I'm just wondering what mods I'm going to be needing to reach around 360 whp on my 2016 WRX? I would love to go 400 whp or higher but don't really see there purpose. I know that of course I would need an intake, turbo back exhaust, and a tune. But am I going to need an upgraded turbo to get that high? Any mods that you would suggest let me know, I'm open ears for any info! On a side note, am I going to see a big difference from a high flow catted Jpipe and a non catted? If there is a huge difference I would do it, but I live in Colorado and have to do emissions and I can't stand the smell of the complete catless exhaust.

#2 ·
You may see 5 whp from a catless down pipe. Both will fail emissions testing. So if that is a concern for you keep the stock exhaust so you can swap it in for emissions. You will likely need two tunes as well one for the stock exhaust one for the turbo back.

As far as I can help you there is going to be more than bolt ons to get you to near 400whp.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

#6 ·
360 WHP is doable on stock turbo if running full bolt ons with e85. Full bolt ons would be intake, turboback (catless), ebcs, upgraded intercooler with piping, upgraded turbo header/manifold (agency power makes one), lightweight pulley (might help) ,tgv deletes, air/oil seperator (to prevent any undesired detonation over long period of time). On 93 pump gas you "should" be able to make anywhere between 335-350 whp depending on geographical location and gas quality. But you will be near 380-390 whp with e85. All in all this will be about $5k in parts and more if you have a shop do install.

#13 ·
From the engine failures ive seen thus far, most of them seem to be due to bad tunes or lack of tunes and people pushing over the 350 mark. There are of course plenty of failures from all stock cars as well but the harder you push it, the more you risk. It seems like between the fa20 in the brz and the fa20dit in ours, the rods start bending over the previously mentioned 350 mark.

im currently at 280/305 and plan to stop power mods after getting an intercooler and tgv deletes since this is my daily driver. id feel more comfortable pushing more out of it with e85 or water meth only if i had a built short block.

Just my 2 cents

#14 ·
I would be looking for the best tuner within your geographic area if this is something you really want to do with your brand new car. Research the crap out of the tuner and make sure they are reliable and have experience with the new generation cars. Then ask them these questions. I haven't seen any members on this site that have tuned the new generation to that level of power yet, so you are just going to get a bunch of hearsay. There has been some pretty impressive results published on the internet for the newer generations, so there are some examples out there if you do some digging.

#15 ·
FA20D is in the brz.

FA20F is in the wrx.

The entire question here is it worth bolting on a bunch of power to a car you don't own yet. If it is to you look around in the build sections here, get ideas of what you want exactly then go talk to your local performance shop. They will be the ones dealing with the tuning so its best to stick with what they are comfortable with.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

#16 ·
Stay stock. FWIW, the transmission on the new platform will not take kindly to 400 ish WHP/WTQ...

#17 ·
So of course I am not going to go anywhere near 400 whp. I would like 300 though. I will keep in mind all of the great info! I have done some research on two tuners down here in Denver and they both seem to be pretty creditable tuners. One is Cryotune performance, he actually owns a 2015 wrx and seems pretty knowledgable with these cars. He has a good reputation down here too. There is also the Boost Creep with everyone probably knows of, he is a very well sought after tuner. He didn't seem to have much knowledge on 2015 in my opinion. He gave me a short response on the email I sent him as to where cryotune has had endless emails with me and sat downs on he phone with me and explained all of my options very clearly for about 30 minutes

#21 ·
breckiam said:
Something that I can DD and not have my engine blow up on me
Keep it simple:
Turboback exhaust
A good custom tune
Quality gauges to monitor (Defi for analog, AEM for digital)

A good S2 tune should have no real impact on reliability (e.g., if the car blows up, it's likely it would've done so stock). Boost / WBO2 gauges will help you monitor everything is in line; EGT / Oil Temp / Oil Pressure would be three more I would recommend if you'd like a broader picture.

#23 ·
If the OP hasn't posted or even looked at this, then disregard.

1) A good J-Pipe that is CATTED
2) TGV Deletes
3) EGR Delete

That right there will be enough to get you close to, or right at the mark of about 300, but like many have said and I will echo the same, anything higher than 300 and you really start to get into reliability issues.

Other facts:

1) You don't need a CAI of any kind, just a drop in filter that is washable and reusable, AND NOT OILED, and you're good. I recommend GS Panel Filter or AEM Dry Flow.
2) An Air Oil Separator from a reputable brand such as IAG, or Crawford will help with longevity.
3) DON'T GO CATLESS! WHATEVER SOME JOE SHMO TELLS YOU ON THE STREETS! If you want boost creep and an engine that goes boom, then go for it, or if you go catless then get external wastegates and a Killer B header which is well over 1200 if you want catless.
4) Definitely go with a reputable E-Tuner or ProTuner. For an E-Tune I would recommend Ron Watson and Phatbotti any day of the week.

#27 ·
I have no mods, but I am running a Drunkmann OTS tune. First and foremost, the OTS tune is designed to be safe. I have seen no knock or reduction in DAM on the 93 tune. A dyno plot I found shows some very impressive numbers for a good, safe, daily driver tune with no engine mods:

Computer Personal computer Rectangle Font Operating system

The first two runs were stock, the third was the Cobb OTS tune, the last run was the Drunkmann OTS tune. 317hp and 347lb/ft at the wheels is pretty stout.

Here's the link to the source of the dyno plot:

#28 ·
Dang, a 19% increase from just a tune is some BMW/VAG shit.

Tons of area under that curve. These FA24s definitely don't seem to like high revs though. It's all about BMEP these days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.