weird ej205 engine noise
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on weird ej205 engine noise within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My 02 Wrx had a broken exhaust camshaft on the passenger side, I picked up a set of used low ...

weird ej205 engine noise

My 02 Wrx had a broken exhaust camshaft on the passenger side, I picked up a set of used low mile heads off a Subaru Facebook page and got them decked and cleaned. I pulled the engine around Christmas and begin the rebuilding, I reused the pistons and put a fresh set of OEM Subaru piston rings along with a light hone.

Reassembeled the engine and it ran great, no noises or anything from it. Two days after the rebuild i decided to reflash the car with cobb sti injector economy tune and immediately after the reflash my engine began ticking :dizzy_face:. I reflashed back to my normal vf39 Cobb tune and its still there.

The noise is high pitched as though it is valve lash but I've checked and reckecked the valve lash and they're all within spec.

Sound appears to be coming from cylinder #4 but when using a stethoscope it sounds like it's from the head, like intake side of it.

Pulled the intake and swapped injectors from right side over to the left and the noise didn't move nor change

The tick does not change with load, making me believe it's not bottom end related and I didn't really mess with the bottom end.

During deceleration the tick is still there and has a direct relationship to rpm

Here's the kicker though, if during deceleration I turn the key off the noise goes away, but to my understanding there is no combustion in deceleration and injector duty cycle is 0% so what is different between deceleration with key on and deceleration with key off?

Side notes
    Engine used to run rough at idle and pulled low vacuum before rebuild so that's why I re ringed it and it runs sooo smooth now and pulls 19-20inhg vacuum.

Current mods
    Vf39, headers, up pipe, full turbo back exhaust, fmic, 2014 sti injectors, grimmspeed 3 port ebcs.

I really need help here guys, any input will be greatly appreciated, im a mechanic by trade so I refuse to take it anywhere but I'm stumped.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Another thing to add is I had to pull the engine about two weeks ago to replace a defective orilleys clutch and when I got it all back together I took it for a drive. When I left it was ticking, I drove about 10 miles to the local McDonald's and when I pulled on the drive thru it was silent, I reved it multiple times and it didn't make a sound. Once I got back home It was ticking again.

Video of noise

https://youtu.be/rVj0JpPWt6Q

Water.....sometimes waves rqjoe's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Combustion at all times the engine is on. Even during decel. It is just that since air is limited (by closing air intake valve) corresponding fuel is limited, resulting in less powerful combustion and thus the deceleration. So there is your tick during decel and when you turn off key, no spark and no injection.
    "Hey man there's only one thing
    And one car that will do"
    And its a WRX Subaru

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    So you flashed a tune for different injectors than what you actually have in the car?

So what exactly are you saying is causing the tick in your opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    So you flashed a tune for different injectors than what you actually have in the car?
    The economy tune is for pinks, I have 14 sti blues so yes but the difference between them is very little, some say pinks flow less, and my afr's are right where they should be

Quote Originally Posted by bassrokker22 View Post
    The economy tune is for pinks, I have 14 sti blues so yes but the difference between them is very little, some say pinks flow less, and my afr's are right where they should be

Wait.. so you have 14 STI injectors, and now you're running what map? What is "normal vf39 Cobb tune".. the one that's supposed to be used with JDM pinks?

Where do you have your WBO2 sensor installed, and what exactly are your AFRs? ..idle, cruise, and WOT? What do your AF Learning tables look like?

zax
    Even if the flow rate is the same between pinks and blues, I'm not sure the latency is the same

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly stock 2015 STi - Seeking B-Stock supremacy
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon (SOLD)

Zach | Moderator | Builds, Electronics/Car Audio, Engine Modifications, Mid-Atlantic States, Suspension & Wheels, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs |
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post

Wait.. so you have 14 STI injectors, and now you're running what map? What is "normal vf39 Cobb tune".. the one that's supposed to be used with JDM pinks?

Where do you have your WBO2 sensor installed, and what exactly are your AFRs? ..idle, cruise, and WOT? What do your AF Learning tables look like?
    Yes 14 sti injectors, and it's currently on cobb "sti injector economy tune". I'm not trying to do full boost pulls with the state it's in, ecnomy tune is wastegate pressure. And yes the one that is supposed to be ran with pinks.

Wideband is installed about 20" after the turbo idle afr 14.7 cruise is typically 14.2-14.5 and wot usually peggs my wideband past 10

Yes 14 sti injectors, and it's currently on cobb "sti injector economy tune". I'm not trying to do full boost pulls with the state it's in, ecnomy tune is wastegate pressure. And yes the one that is supposed to be ran with pinks.

Wideband is installed about 20" after the turbo idle afr 14.7 cruise is typically 14.2-14.5 and wot usually peggs my wideband past 10

So then your AFRs are not right where they should be if it's that rich under load.. not at all. You need a tune for the mods that you have installed on your car, not a tune for mods that someone else had when they put their car on the dyno and made that map. I've seen enough knock on an OTS map from just running aftermarket headers that it destroyed the engine in two months.. let alone different headers, intercooler, and injectors all together. Hopefully it's not already time to rebuild it all over again.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.