2008 WRX Blown motor - Best course of action
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2008 WRX Blown motor - Best course of action within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So today I just found out that my engine is toast. It hasn't been taken apart yet but I think ...

2008 WRX Blown motor - Best course of action

So today I just found out that my engine is toast. It hasn't been taken apart yet but I think one of the mechanics mentioned a problem with the crankshaft. Symptoms are a progressively loud rattling from the engine bay on the passenger side and progressive loss of power in all gears heading to the shop. Eventually I had the car towed when I couldn't get over 20km/h, the engine can still run but barely makes power.
    Also, and hopefully coincidentally, I had my car serviced the morning of the problem. They replaced the brakes, bushings, valve cover gaskets and spark plugs along with an oil change. The shop has an excellent reputation and I believe them to be honest and competent.
    I have a warranty on the engine but they'll only cover up to 3 grand and the shop says this may be a 12-14 grand job.
    I'm not sure if I should sell the car for parts, fix the car and sell it (it has needed everything since I bought it two years ago) or fix the car and keep it knowing everything that has been done.
    It has 190,000km and is tuned to stage 1+ by cobb in Oregon. I drive it pretty rough and shift in the 4-5k rpm range.

I hope I've posted this in the right spot and greatly appreciate your feedback in this time of dire need!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You need to find a new shop if they're going to charge you 14k for a new motor. Sounds to me like you spun a bearing if it gets louder with higher rpms. Which is usually what happens with subaru motors. Depends on the damage but you could probably get away with a new short block, turbo, and have the heads cleaned and it should be good to go. Or just replace the bearing and see what happens. But like I said it depends on how bad you damaged the crank and rod journal from driving it. Should be 4-5k tops not 14k tho.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by boostlife_DIT View Post
    You need to find a new shop if they're going to charge you 14k for a new motor.

Agreed.. even a Subaru dealership, arguably one of the most expensive places to get work done, only charges around $6,600 to replace an engine.

12 to 14 grand? Was that just a techs assumption or a quote? You can find a factory short block brand new for 2k ish.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

$12 to $14 Canadian?
    Drive like hell, you will get there faster!

2015 WRX COBB Surgeline Stage 2 Pro Tune
    Journal-

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ml#post3579257

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.