Subaru WRX Forum banner

which would be deeper/louder/rumbly tone?

exhausts: nameless vs ets (3" vs 2.25"/2") ??

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  irickchad 
#1 · (Edited)
This is a question focused for the STI platform but also relevant to the equal length headers on the new WRX:

Hello everyone, I have been struggling deciding between a nameless catback system and ETS catback system.

My ultimate goal is to find the perfect tone and volume without losing the stock performance at all. Gains would be second to the perfect tone and volume I am seeking.

My question is the following, I noticed that the ETS catback systems offers a true 3" diameter straight through compared to nameless where they are not a true 3" diameter throughout and is closer to stock diameter of 2" or 2.25"

Now with mention of the above, would a wider diameter of 3" straight through offer a deeper and louder tone since there is more space for the sound/exhaust to travel through? compared to the nameless with a narrower diameter of 2.25"/2", would this be not as deep and loud a tone since it is narrower?

also, going wider at a true straight through 3" diameters, will i lose any performance from the stock diameter? any loss in low/mid/high end compared to stock?

there are tons of videos of nameless catback exhausts on youtube but not too many for ETS on STI platforms so that is the reason for me creating this thread.

Also, drone is not that big a concern to me

This is within the criteria of comparing same setups to setups for nameless and ets, such as muffler delete vs muffler delete, resonated mid pipe vs resonated mid pipe..etc

again my ultimate goal is the perfect tone that is deep, refined, very rumbly with great volume without sounding too distorted

See less See more
#2 ·
You're not going to lose power or gain power from a catback at stock power levels.

The Nameless catback has a resonator to my knowledge, the ETS (Both Extreme, and Quiet) do not. Both exhausts in muffler delete configuration will make your car much MUCH louder, and will probably lead to the "distortion" type sound you're talking about. Also, for the record, both of these are 3" exhausts... I think the nameless tapers down to a 2.5" at the bends leading to the mufflers/tips.

#3 ·
let's say a nameless muffler delete catback vs ets extreme with resonated midpipe, the only difference would be that the ETS is true 3" from the midpipe-y pipe- axle pipe where nameless is 3" midpipe-2.25" y pipe - 2" axleback piping?

this is according to nameless' website. so if were comparing the same exact setup, mufler delete with both a resonated midpipe for both nameless/ets, does the 3" piping at the Y-Pipe and 3" piping at the axle to the tips that ets has offer a deeper/rumbly tone compared to nameless?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.