FMIC to TMIC - Should You Get Tuned??
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on FMIC to TMIC - Should You Get Tuned?? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I have a stage 3 04 WRX. Engine mods - IHI VF39 Turbo TiAL 38mm External Wastegate (EWG) w/ ...

FMIC to TMIC - Should You Get Tuned??

So I have a stage 3 04 WRX.

Engine mods -
    IHI VF39 Turbo
    TiAL 38mm External Wastegate (EWG) w/ 14.5 psi (1 bar) spring
    Cobb 3-port Electronic Boost Controller (EBCS)
    Cobb Short Air SF Intake
    TurboXS Front Mount Intercooler (FMIC) w/ Stock BPV
    Injector Dynamics Fuel Injectors 1000cc (Top Feed)
    NGK Iridium Spark Plugs One Step Colder 2667
    Walbro 255 LPH Fuel Pump
    eBay Post MAF Rubber Hose
    Godspeed Silicone turbo Inlet Hose
    Grimmspeed Catless Up pipe w/ Flex Section, 38mm Wastegate Flange & Dump Tube
    eBay 3" Bellmouth Catless Down Pipe
    Tsudo 3" N1 Catback Exhaust
    Cobb AP V3 on Custom Map by Clark Turner Tuning
    Dyno Results - 289whp / 274tq @ 19 psi on 93 Octane

My biggest regret is picking up the FMIC. The ONLY reason I picked it up was because someone locally was selling the full kit for only $400... Super cheap. Unfortunately, because of this low price, I decided to ignore the common agreed upon opinion on putting FMICs on our small turbo cars. Throttle response is... Laggy for lack of better words. & speaking of lag. Well it takes a bit longer to build boost. The only + side to the FMIC on my setup is that I NEVER hit over 110 degree intake temps this summer & now that it's getting colder out, I doubt I'll see over 60. Anyways, I want my responsive & quick spooling TMIC back. Will I need a re tune? I'd obviously be getting a bigger TMIC than the OEM TMICs... Now my question is NEED. Like, will my car run like **** or dangerously if I just throw it on or will it be okay? I'm aware that a re tune will yield the best results.

Thanks.
    "I would rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone built it for me, your car is your story, don't let someone else write the book." --Moog
    My "Blue Turd" Build Thread
    My Instagram
    My YouTube
    My Facebook Page

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I would certainly retune for the switch.. will the car run like crap or cause damage without a retune? That depends on a lot of factors, probably mainly your current tune. It's possible that you could get away without doing a new tune and the car might not run optimally, but still okay and not damage anything. I would say it's just as possible that it will throw things off enough to cause it to detonate under high load and slowly kill the engine over time. The only way to find out would be to do the swap and see how the tune is then.. whether it works without being detrimental to the engine or not, the tune still won't be optimal, and with the tune being pretty much the most important thing for the life of the car (other than keeping oil in the engine I suppose), I would retune whether it runs okay or not.

Most tuners wouldn't charge very much to do a tweak like that.. although Clark has blown up more engines than I can count, so who knows what his stance would be on the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    although Clark has blown up more engines than I can count, so who knows what his stance would be on the issue.
    I don't know if you follow him on FB or not but it looks like he's been doing quite alright for himself out in AZ at his shop.

Anyways, You're right about re tuning. I don't think throwing a TMIC on my car without a proper re tune will cause immediate damage, but over time perhaps... That's not something I'd like to risk.
    "I would rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone built it for me, your car is your story, don't let someone else write the book." --Moog
    My Instagram
    My YouTube
    My Facebook Page

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, I see him on Facebook regularly.. along with lots of people complaining about unsafe tunes/blown engines, granted that's a minority of his customers, but there are definitely a handful of very dissatisfied customers going back about 10 years.

It's always safer to get a retune. Could you baby it and drive it until you can get in for a tune. Probably. Most things will run even if the tune isn't spot on. Keep your accessport on knock correction and keep your eye on your afr gauge (if you have one. If you don't, then get one)

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Not NEEDED but you WILL see gains from a tune. I vote to do it.

My tuner was able to add 2 degrees of timing when I went fmic due to the cooler intake charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many miles are on the car? It might be time to get a retune anyway... I think that's one of the biggest things that I've seen with Subi owners... The ones who know what they're doing will go and get a tune on a stock car after 100k miles... There's too many parts that will wear in different ways. I highly recommend retuning.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepymaniac12 View Post
    How many miles are on the car? It might be time to get a retune anyway... I think that's one of the biggest things that I've seen with Subi owners... The ones who know what they're doing will go and get a tune on a stock car after 100k miles... There's too many parts that will wear in different ways. I highly recommend retuning.
    Car has 140k miles. Was kept stock up until about 125k miles. Then was stage 1 for about 2k miles, then stage 2 for about 8k miles. So at 135k miles it went stage 3. So I only had this setup for about 5k miles. Regular maintenance of course. I don't run it hard... in fact I can't remember the last time I went WOT anywhere above 5.5k rpms lol. I baby this thing.
    My Instagram
    My YouTube
    My Facebook Page

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.