up pipe worth it???
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on up pipe worth it??? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have an 2009 wrx. with cobb intake and invidia catted turboback exhaust with cobb access port stage 2 tune. ...

up pipe worth it???

I have an 2009 wrx. with cobb intake and invidia catted turboback exhaust with cobb access port stage 2 tune. is it worth it to get an invidia up pipe or should I just go ahead and get it dyno tuned somewhere? I don't really know what the next step is as far as upgrades. I'd like to push 300 wheel horsepower.
    thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    im about where you are, maybe a 1/2 step further. im etuned, and its far better than any ots map. some type of aftermarket tune could be your next step, but as far as hardware goes:

your next step is new top mount intercooler and electronic boost control solenoid. then from there you'll do new injectors and fuel pump. then from there it will prob be new up pipe with wastegate and then headers. all with tunes of course. you can add in tgv deletes anywhere along this timeline, but it seems to be one of those mods, you fully commit to or not.

$6000 later, and youve got 350 whp!
    stinkeye member #976

I Support ClubWRX
    Nope. No need to get an up pipe on the newer models unless you are going with an EWG. With the variety of stock location turbos available, I wouldn't recommend going with an EWG setup unless you are running a catless downpipe and planning on keeping the stock turbo for a long time.

Depending on the tuner and your car, you'll probably need some fuel injectors, and most get a fuel pump as well. If you have E85 around you at a reasonable price, go on the larger side of your expectations.

Get a nice intercooler (sized appropriately for your current or future goals).

A 3 port boost solenoid never hurts. Your tuner will probably tell you to pick one up. They are pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things, anyhow.

Consider some equal length headers. TGV deletes are a nice upgrade, too.

Get in touch with a good tuner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

the 3 port boost solenoid. what does that do for me?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by dacrewlilkev View Post
    the 3 port boost solenoid. what does that do for me?
    Read the "Part 2" link in my signature. It should help out in that department.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Don't fall in to the trap of oh everyone does these mods I'll have to do that too. Go to the tuner of your choice and say here's what I got here's what I want, tell me my options. Don't need an aftermarket intercooler for 300whp so if that's your finish line don't feel obligated. E85 is an option, water meth is an option, blah blah so ya ask your tuner. End of the day were all just dudes on the Internet but a reputable shop is the real deal right?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    fear is the mind killer

To me unless you are going EWG, or aftermarket turbo with larger inlet, an up pipe is not worth much on your year model.

With catless tbe, Aem intake, 3 port EBCS, up pipe with EWG, FMIC, I made 318awhp\344lbs on a dynapak dyno(tires removed and bolted to dyno adapters).

If I wanted to go farther I would do a fuel pump, injectors and turbo, then retune.
    14 sedan: Protune: 318AWHP 344ft lbs up pipe, Tial EWG, AEM intake, Cobb AP V3, 3" TBE, Avo FMIC, Turbo Smart bpv, Aem air fuel gauge,Cobb knob,Perrin Pitch Stop mount, SPT front strut tower brace, K-Sport coilovers@1.5" drop. Eibach sways, Perrin Spherical end links, Cusco subframe brace, White Line sway braces, Perrin sub frame bushings.

07 Duramax LBZ- 26psi,intake, TBE, Diablosport programmer, Edge Insight with EGT, EGR block off, BD exhaust manifold, PPE fuel valve.

Thanks for the info everybody. I pretty much know where to go from here. I am now having the clutch pedal firewall issue so im going to handle that and then start up grading from there.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.