2015/2016 WRX - how long did YOU wait before installing a Cobb AP?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

This is a discussion on 2015/2016 WRX - how long did YOU wait before installing a Cobb AP? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am officially through my break-in period, started the day with 875 miles and went on a 500 mile road ...

  1. #1
    Registered User NSR Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Central OR
    Posts
    147

    2015/2016 WRX - how long did YOU wait before installing a Cobb AP?

    I am officially through my break-in period, started the day with 875 miles and went on a 500 mile road trip. I'm debating whether to order myself a Cobb AP now, or wait a while. If you bought a new 2015-16 WRX AND installed an AP, how long did you wait, and why? If you could do it over again, would you have installed it sooner?

    I installed the original AP-1 on my '05 Outback XT within a year of buying the car new and never looked back. Based on my positive experience with Stage 1 on that Outback, I'm tempted to order one right now and install it after an oil change, which will happen soon after I return home. I'll have ~2000 miles on the car at that time. The potential for a decided warranty claim is always in the back of my mind of course, but if something were to happen, I can afford the repairs.

    Who am I kidding, once I've gone Stage 1 I'll probably mod a little more, perhaps Stage 2, TGV delete, perhaps both. (Cobb Surgeline is a short three hour trip from home... so getting proper Pro Tune is not a problem should I decide to go that route) I feel like it has plenty of passing power as-is but I want a little more "fun spirited driving" power and I'm hoping Stage 1 will smooth out the throttle response like it did on my old OBXT.

    For those who installed an AP on a 2015-2016 WRX while still under warranty - how long did you wait, and if you could do it over again, would you do anything different?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    9
    Like 300 miles, and only because of shipping times.

    The factory tune is crap, and some say borderline dangerous. Quite a few dyne graphs show a power drop around 5k rpm due to knock detection and pulling timing in the factor map...

    So yes, I'd do it again every time.

  4. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    46
    same here, have 525 miles on the odo, and have already installed a catback and the cobb AP.

  5. #4
    d(^.^)P Crooks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Posts
    175
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff240sx View Post
    Like 300 miles, and only because of shipping times.

    The factory tune is crap, and some say borderline dangerous. Quite a few dyne graphs show a power drop around 5k rpm due to knock detection and pulling timing in the factor map...

    So yes, I'd do it again every time.
    I never heard of any knocking but have heard I have seen the graphs and it is a horrible drop after 5k. It seems shifting over 5k is a waste of time on these stock tunes. I am going to look into that some more into that because if that is the case, I'd rather go ahead and get the AP and DP sooner than warranty expiration.

  6. #5
    Registered User NSR Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Central OR
    Posts
    147
    After completing my trip yesterday I've decided to "just do it". I feel like my Stage 1 Outback XT was outperforming my new Rex in terms of power, and I can't have that

  7. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    212
    after 3k miles .. changed the oil and installed the ap

  8. #7
    d(^.^)P Crooks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Posts
    175
    I Support ClubWRX
    dp, ap, and tgv delete it is! lol

  9. #8
    Registered User Goose42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    1,411
    Quote Originally Posted by NSR Rider View Post
    After completing my trip yesterday I've decided to "just do it". I feel like my Stage 1 Outback XT was outperforming my new Rex in terms of power, and I can't have that
    Surgelines wait time was down to 2.5 weeks, good luck man, and let us know how it goes!
    Drive like hell, you will get there faster!

    2015 WRX Surgeline Stage 2 Pro Tune
    Journal-

    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ml#post3579257

  10. #9
    Registered User MAWNSTAH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    homestead fl
    Posts
    3
    i've had my 2016 for a week and will probably order one in 2 weeks. so far i have 700 miles on it.

  11. #10
    ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsᴉƃǝɹ strudinox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    581
    I Support ClubWRX
    I installed mine at 1004 miles, just after break in. I didn't realize how terrible the stock map is until I flashed to Stage 1. It really unlocks the car's full (stock) potential.
    ...BECAUSE RALLY CAR

    Current Build: 2015 WRX Premium - WRB

  12. #11
    d(^.^)P Crooks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Posts
    175
    I Support ClubWRX
    My only issue was voiding the warranty on a engine that not too many people have experimented on yet. I was hoping for more guinea pigs for long term testing but I may end up one myself
    Last edited by Crooks; 08-17-2015 at 05:39 AM. Reason: typo
    2016 WRB Limited WRX on order!
    2003 Nissan Touring 350z

  13. #12
    Registered User NSR Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Central OR
    Posts
    147
    I ordered the AP yesterday and am going for an oil change today. Probably drive on it at Stage 1 for a month or so before I decide what, if anything, is next.

  14. #13
    Registered User NSR Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Central OR
    Posts
    147
    AP is set to arrive Friday. I had the dealer address some cabin rattles while the oil was being changed; they got most of them, need to take it back for another round. Might wait to flash it until they are done with the rattle issues.

  15. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    9
    I still take mine to the dealer for dumb things like rattles.
    The Magnuson-Moss Act says "a consumer has the right to patronize independent retail stores and repair shops for parts and service without fear of voiding the new car warranty. The dealer/vehicle manufacturer has the right to deny a warranty repair but they must demonstrate that the aftermarket part caused the problem. The warranty remains in effect for all other covered parts."

    Basically, SOA could deny warranty work for anything that the ECU tune affects (Electrical/ECU/engine), but cannot deny warranty work on anything unaffected by the mod.

    But honestly, they'd need to scan your ECU to check if anything was changed. As long as your AP/cable aren't in the car, I can't think of a reason why they would. If I ever needed them to check a mechanical part I'd likely reflash to stock. Yes, Subaru can count how many times it's been flashed, but again, why would they do that? Probably only in the event of a blown motor or something...

  16. #15
    Registered User NSR Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Central OR
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff240sx View Post
    I still take mine to the dealer for dumb things like rattles.
    The Magnuson-Moss Act says "a consumer has the right to patronize independent retail stores and repair shops for parts and service without fear of voiding the new car warranty. The dealer/vehicle manufacturer has the right to deny a warranty repair but they must demonstrate that the aftermarket part caused the problem. The warranty remains in effect for all other covered parts."

    Basically, SOA could deny warranty work for anything that the ECU tune affects (Electrical/ECU/engine), but cannot deny warranty work on anything unaffected by the mod.

    But honestly, they'd need to scan your ECU to check if anything was changed. As long as your AP/cable aren't in the car, I can't think of a reason why they would. If I ever needed them to check a mechanical part I'd likely reflash to stock. Yes, Subaru can count how many times it's been flashed, but again, why would they do that? Probably only in the event of a blown motor or something...
    Thanks - especially for the name "Magnuson-Moss Act". Handy to drop the name if I run into any hassles. I have a pretty good idea that my dealer will be fair if do run into anything that's not introduced by the tune. They knew I had an AP on my old Outback XT and warrantied some part of the suspension, that had been a common issue.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •