Subaru WRX Forum banner

Engine is Burning Oil

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  SD_GR 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I have a 2006 Subaru WRX, the engine is the stock 2.5L 4 cylinder turbo. I am a noob to cars and needed some advice and hopefully solutions. My car has 172,xxx miles and is burning oil (About 1/2+ quarts every 300 miles). I got the compression tested and all 4 cylinders were running around 130, also on the leak down test I was around 20%. So basically what I was told is that since my engine has so many miles it is eating up more oil to keep up. I was told a engine rebuild/reseal or engine swap for a lower mileage engine were my choices to fix the problem. Also they said I could just keep adding oil but overtime the problem is going to get worse. I wanted to know what my options were and around how much they would cost. Also how I would go about fixing it and all my steps. I have looked into lower mileage engines and rebuilds but don't know exactly what I am looking for. Car runs fine and drives great, just want to know how to fix it for the future. Thanks in advance :) and anything helps!

P.S.- Was told something about how a Air Oil Separator might help? But I am sure that won't solve the problem by itself...

#2 ·
Check the PCV system. Only after the PCV system is verified working correctly can you proceed with checking the intercooler. If the PCV is OK, only the check the intercooler for excessive oil, indicating a potential problem with the turbo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.