Subaru WRX Forum banner

2010 wrx what is the best fmic and supporting mods

5K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Kdc92 
#1 ·
I have a 2010 wrx sedan with Cobb ap,cobb Cai, Cobb down pipe, magmaflow exhaust running the stage 2 sf93map, and white line sway bars too.
New to the forum and only recently started moding the car, curious as to the best fmic for my car that I can order, also what upgrades would be recommended for perferomance with maximum reliability... Is a new clutch a good idea for the increase in power?
Ps: plan on getting pro tune after fmic and 3 port boost solenoid / whatever recommended mods I decide to get. Money is not a issue I want best parts possible.

Also will I need a new cai when doing the fmic?

Sorry if this is the wrong section

#2 ·
Welcome! :wave:
A large TMIC is the way to go.
Front mounts are nice but require modification to your bumper, and they have a lot of piping and potential for leaks. I have the Grimmspeed TMIC and it is awesome.
At that point bigger fuel injectors and fuel pump will give you the ability to upgrade your turbo.
As far as a clutch, I would wait untill yours is toast.

#3 ·
You'll probably want the clutch to be the weak point in your drivetrain so you probably don't want to have anything too aggressive.

Front mounts increase turbo lag because you have more volume to pressurize, where top mounts pressurize much faster because the lack of extra piping. They are popular for drag racing because they don't heatsoak as bad, however for a daily driver earlier boost seems like the better bet.

#5 ·
You have no need for an FMIC at your level, currently. If you start to consider a bigger fuel pump... injectors... new turbo.. etc. then you'll be better off with an FMIC.

#6 ·
That what I mean the fmic is better in the long run if I keep upgrading because it seems kinda addictive and I don't see myself stoping at an inter cooler.... So I'll ask again what is the best fmic to go with? Townline recommended the grim speed for tmic which I'm interested in, but I'm still undecided and don't want to just order a tmic over a fmic... So what is a good fmic anybody could suggest

#7 ·
Keep the TMIC until you go with an FMIC.. It's an easy sell once you want to get rid of it.

I'm not just talking out my butt, here. I had an FMIC on my stock turbo car as well, and if you take a worthy mod path (bigger turbo, engine build <-- since a bigger turbo is gonna disintegrate your stock internals) you'll have plenty of time for the front mount.

Grimmspeed, ETS, and Process West all make awesome top mounts.

When you're ready, Perrin, ETS, and TurboXS all make nice top mount kits.

#11 ·
Seriously, I know you want a front mount with all their looks and glory, however consider the reality of a top mount for every day performance. Is there a particular reason a front mount is a must have for you? Unless you are drag racing I doubt you are going to see any advantage.

From all the information out there on this topic it doesn't matter WHAT front mount you get, your boost is going to come on later because you are adding a ton of piping. A larger top mount will give you more volume with out adding tons of excess volume with piping. If you want to help combat heat soak you can even add a water sprayer to it.

#12 ·
Has nothing todo with the looks my friend, I just figure cooler is better also more reliable... I realize I do not need a fmic for my current setup but I may want to upgrade turbo and more in the future. I am considering a tmic tho as irickchad said I can always sell the tmic quick and upgrade to fmic when I do a bigger turbo, appreciate the opinion tho

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.