Subaru WRX Forum banner

Question about chipping

1K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  unseen 
#1 ·
So I just got a new (to me) 2012 WRX hatch and for now I'd like to keep it stock-ish to keep the warranty. Which chips, if any, are good while keeping it mostly stock? I was looking at Cobb but I know its suggested to get the CIA with it.

#2 ·
Who said it's suggested to get an intake? An intake isn't going to give you much power over just a reflash...in fact you don't even notice it

Don't "chip" it. Use proper engine management hardware like the AP, or going opensource

And also, if you really care that much about keeping your warranty, then there's no point in modifying. Anytime you mod anything, you risk that part failing or causing another part to fail and that's on you, so the dealer may be reluctant to approve your claim

#4 ·
Not entirely true. They can't tell the AP was ever installed, but having a brand new car and seeing a lot of relatively high flash count on their scan tool can make them ask questions.
That's if they even bother to really check it, but I'm sure if the techs are bored they could.

My personal advice is to be upfront and honest with the dealer....if they ask about it...if they don't then don't bother. They really don't need to know right then. I just feel if you need warranty work done, and they have reason to believe it was modded, being honest and reasonable with the service, they'll be more likely to help you out. They're still customer based, so keeping a high clientele is important. They'll at least be more likely to give you discounts.
Also, some dealers are more mod friendly than others. So if one is being a hassle, another one might actually help you if they're within range

#5 · (Edited)
I was just at the dealership a week ago picking up replacement gaskets and dude at the sales desk said, if I were to bring the car in looking for warranty service, visual traces of modding should be removed and out of sight.

To me that's a basic no to warranty work if you've modded it. And if you add dishonesty as banez said, its a wrap. One of the first things I read here on the forum is: we pay to play. How true it is.

#6 ·
Didn't know that about the flash count. I will probably confront them about it if I ever need work done like you said. So the intake isn't necessary? I know the difference isn't too significant but I had heard the Cobb tune was best with the CIA and airbox, but I obviously may have heard wrong.

#10 ·
Cobb off the shelf tunes aren't too good honestly. They're a safer more conservative tune for a universal tune, meaning one size fits all...which isn't always the case. They might be alright when first modding, but you'll see much better numbers and still safe, if not safer than an OTS map with either an e-tune, such as from wtftuning or bren tuning, or a protune or dynotune. Both those take into account nuances in everyone's car, altitude differenes, type of fuel, etc..

Correct me if I'm wrong someone, but on Cobb's site I believe it says one or both of their intakes can be prone to boost spike and/or boost creep..?
The difference between a stage 1 reflash and a stage 1+ intake...again not impressive. I didn't notice a single change other than a louder turbo spool.
You will see better numbers with an e-tune or protune with a stock car over an intake and cobb.

If you're going to do the Cobb tunes and want the best bang for your buck, just go stage 2

#12 ·
I like Sun Chips. Baked Doritos are really good too. I've always been a fan of kettle cooked, but they just have high fat content.

But on a serious note, you went from wanting to keep your warranty, to Stage 2. Stage 2 will void that baby all day long.

#14 ·
i hate sun chips. i dont get them. theyre like kind of sweet at the end. posing as healthy, but not? gritty, and not quite a chip, but called chips? but yes, i love kettle cooked.

bros, if youre worried about warranty, dont mod. or get a diff car that wont tempt you to mod. in my eyes, once a "modder, always a modder." im already thinking about the family car im going to get, but also thinking about how to fabricate a turbo kit into it. if you do enough research, talk to the right people here, install parts correctly, follow protocol, monitor, and dont beat up on your car a lot, you more than likely wont need to utilize that warranty with a stage 2 set up. once you begin to commit to 1 mod that will void warranty, your attachment to the idea of the warranty will subside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.