02' wagon engine rebuild question, San Francisco
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 02' wagon engine rebuild question, San Francisco within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey all, I spent a few days trying to dig for answers to no avail. Please be kind, I know ...

02' wagon engine rebuild question, San Francisco

Hey all, I spent a few days trying to dig for answers to no avail. Please be kind, I know you've seen this before. First off, I've had my Bugeye 13 years. I love it. But, it's tired and I think I have a small head gasket leak. 180k on the clock. I want to rebuild her but I am not chasing big HP. I want more torque and I want it to spool up quicker. I've got a Stromung cat back and that's about it. I did the belt and tensioners, pump, and a kick ass radiator at 90k. I build hopped up two stroke Italian scooters and messed around with small block Ford before I caught the "Bug". Point is I'm not afraid to get dirty. I had always thought that I would like a 2.2. I live in San Francisco and I notice there is no Bay Area group on here. I would love to know about a good machine shop as well. I am surprised that information about different conversions has been so hard for me to locate. I would love some help and guidance please. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Price a hybrid build with your existing heads onto a 2,5L block. The DIY stroker stuff is attractive on paper but you're not after numbers by your own admission and the 500 cc extra will help with low rev torque (it's like adding an entire scooter, if you think about it that way). You'll have to remap the ECU either way. BTW are you sure you've got a head gasket leak? It's a lot of work if it's for nothing.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    For what you're wanting, I would just throw a stock ej255/ej257 shortblock in it, rebuild the heads, new injectors, fuel pump, (along with uppipe and downpipe if you haven't already replaced those), and tune.

Is anyone able to advise me about good bay area machine shops and support? I'm also curious about engine build kits from reputable vendors. Thanks for the responses so far.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    If you want a stock shortblock (which is what I would advise for your goals, not a "build"), I would go through Flatirons Tuning.

As far as getting the heads rebuilt and decked, unfortunately I only really know about machine shops here in TX.. and a few on the east coast, like Head Games.

Not to sure how far Fairfield is from you but equilibrium does machine heads so that maybe a option for you

^ agree, EQ tuning in fairfield for builds; also talk to Mert at RBMS in hayward. Auto HQ(?) on the peninsula has good rep, too.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.