Subaru WRX Forum banner

BOV stopped working after hitting max boost

991 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  MainFrame 
#1 ·
I know there is a giant BOV thread, however, searching that thread for hours has seems to be failing me for my situation... maybe im not looking hard enough. So i dont want to piss anyone off.

Recently, i was driving my 2003 wrx and usually during my drives i dont ever drive too hard or hold full boost for a longer duration that a couple of seconds. That being said, I bought the car with an after market non-recirculating BOV, and after hitting full boost it seems to have stopped working. I know this simply due to the fact that the noise no longer occurs, EVER, no matter the boost pressure. When looking at it more i believe that the little piston within the BOV has seized, but i cant be sure due to my lack of knowledge on BOV's.

Also. The car has a COBB Intake, 3 inch turbo back exhaust, and the Blow off valve... No tune.

#2 ·
OE valves are cheap. Get one.

Aftermarket uppipes are relatively cheap (~$200). Get one.

ECU calibration isn't expensive (~$400-500). Do it.

#4 ·
DERKADERKA said:
Should i get the OE. Or invest into a recirculating one?
OE is perfectly acceptable for OE turbo (or any turbo that doesn't require a built motor). When you start getting into the larger turbos that want 22+ PSI to be in their efficiency range, then consider an aftermarket valve. Until then, save your money.

#5 ·
It may have seized up.. you never said what brand/model it is, so I would assume it's a junk valve and is either broken, or you didn't keep up with the maintenance on it. All aftermarket valves, even the good ones, require regular maintenance to work correctly.. the only one that doesn't is the stock valve, and on your car, with your mods, there will be no advantage to running anything other than the stock valve. The big advantage of using the stock piece opposed to a quality recirculating one, is that the stock valve requires no maintenance or adjustment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.