Subaru WRX Forum banner

Exhaust install tips

4K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Big_Ben 
#1 ·
My Corsa cat back exhaust came in the mail for my 15 STI. I'm probably going to install it tomorrow or Tuesday. However, I've never installed this type of exhaust where the exhaust slides together and the clamp covers the exhaust joint. Is this easier or more difficult than the typical 2 bolt flange install?

I haven't done a full cat back exhaust install in a while. I have Rhino ramps and my socket set is ready to go. The car is only a few months old. Does anyone have any helpful tips? I'm hoping for an easy job.

#3 ·
Zach, I saw your recent post in the Corsa thread on IWSTi. I am thinking Chad is right here. Regardless, MidOhioSTi, member on IWSTi, works for Corsa, I am sure he will chime in. Get a video up once installed man, such a nice exhaust!

#8 ·
OK.... So yesterday was the install day. Total time was a little under three hours by myself. That's three hours from off the couch to have my last tool put away.

When I fired the car up I had a bad leak on the muffler pipe before the axel back. It was spitting water and was definitely audible. I had to really torque the torca clamp down, which ended up stopping it. It seems like you really need to stretch the clamps to get them to seal, but will this make the clamp less effective over time if I have to adjust or remove anything? The driver side tips are a little out of place, but I can't tell if it's enough that anyone else will notice aside from me. I'm going to let the hangers settle in a little before I mess with anything. I don't want to mess with it too much, because I'm really concerned with one of these clamps pissing out on me if I stretch them to the breaking point. I think their specs are 60 ft-lbs, but that's not enough to make an effective seal. They were all pissing condensation and air even at idle. Will these clamps hold up?

Here are some pics:

VIDEO: NOT SURE IF THIS WILL WORK?

#9 ·
OK.... So yesterday was the install day. Total time was a little under three hours by myself. That's three hours from off the couch to have my last tool put away.

When I fired the car up I had a bad leak on the muffler pipe before the axel back. It was spitting water and was definitely audible. I had to really torque the torca clamp down, which ended up stopping it. It seems like you really need to stretch the clamps to get them to seal, but will this make the clamp less effective over time if I have to adjust or remove anything? The driver side tips are a little out of place, but I can't tell if it's enough that anyone else will notice aside from me. I'm going to let the hangers settle in a little before I mess with anything. I don't want to mess with it too much, because I'm really concerned with one of these clamps pissing out on me if I stretch them to the breaking point. I think their specs are 60 ft-lbs, but that's not enough to make an effective seal. They were all pissing condensation and air even at idle. Will these clamps hold up?
Good looking exhaust. I have a 14, and just did an install of Invidia n1. When all said and down, I as well have a slight variation on the driver side. It's slightly off. Hmm.. But i can see that making it less effective because it's more strain on the clamps. However, in unsure why they'd be rated at 60 when that's not enough for the seal.. I wonder if this is why they I read about people welding this exhaust? But, I guess only time will tell on this situation unless anyone has already come across it.

Also videos not working (for me anyways) but I am on the app. Can someone else confirm it working?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Looks good Zach.
Make a video of the sound, I'm curious.
I laugh every time I see the factory Y pipe.

#11 ·
^The last little thumbnail is a video.

I bought a $5 rubber mallet from Lowes so I can maybe better adjust the driver side. It's a little lower and closer to center than the passenger side. My strategy is to loosen the clamp closest to the muffler and tap it toward the driver side and up. I'm going to place a block of wood supported by the jack under the muffler when I tighten it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.