Grimmspeed Downpipe Review
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Grimmspeed Downpipe Review within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Im about to purchase a catted Grimmspeed downpipe, a catless grimmspeed uppipe, and an access port. But my main reason ...

Grimmspeed Downpipe Review

Im about to purchase a catted Grimmspeed downpipe, a catless grimmspeed uppipe, and an access port. But my main reason for this post is to ask if anyone has the catted grimmspeed downpipe? What do you think of it? Could you notice a difference in power/ sound. I think performance wise it will be great. and i was assuming the sound would be good too. but i saw a couple videos and they sounded really ricer to me. so just seeing if anyone has reviews for it. also i have a Borla Catback on my car. (03 wrx)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I haven't personally experienced one, but Grimmspeed makes great products. I wouldn't worry about quality with that part.

All downpipes will change the way your exhaust sounds (louder and deeper mostly), but there really isn't going to be any sound difference between brands. That pretty much all comes from your catback exhaust. I'd plan on your catback getting louder and more aggressive sounding for sure.

Powerwise, as long as you get a tune for it (which you really really really should), you will notice quite a bit more power/torque as well as a better feeling powerband and increased gas mileage.

Thanks! I am planning to put the downpipe and accessport at the same time and tune it by flashing stage one. any problems with that?

5. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I think most people don't realize how important a tune is and not just a tune the access port comes with but a tune from a professional, on a dyno, I have a 2015 wrx base model with a cobb j pipe, access port, mishimoto intake with a pro tune, now my car puts out some serious power

You need to flash stage 2, if you put a downpipe on.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Kunal - Ordered 2015 DGM WRX
    Photographer | Dancer | Tech Nerd | The Stink-Eye Mob #7
    First Mods: What and what not to do
    2011+ Big Mod Thread
    How to Buy a Used WRX or STI
    Complete USED WRX Buying Checklist

Find a reliable tuner and do it the right way

thanks guys. is there any harm if i install the downpipe, flash stage 2, then drive it for a couple weeks before getting the pro tune?

Quote Originally Posted by jbreezy View Post
    thanks guys. is there any harm if i install the downpipe, flash stage 2, then drive it for a couple weeks before getting the pro tune?
    No, but it will be in your best interest to monitor via the AP to make sure the car accepted the OTS tune. (took well, etc...)
    Drive like hell, you will get there faster!

2015 WRX COBB Surgeline Stage 2 Pro Tune
    Journal-

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ml#post3579257

Best bet is to get the pro tune right after the j pipe is installed to male sure your car is not running to lien

Quote Originally Posted by ronniedb82 View Post
    Best bet is to get the pro tune right after the j pipe is installed to male sure your car is not running to lien

As to not confuse the OP Ronnie, he has an 03 WRX, so it would be a down pipe. I could see this causing some potential confusion for someone unfamiliar w/mods.

Journal-

Quote Originally Posted by Goose42 View Post
    No, but it will be in your best interest to monitor via the AP to make sure the car accepted the OTS tune. (took well, etc...)
    sorry for all these noob questions... but by monitoring it with the AP how will i know if it is accepting the tune well? what should i look for?

Quote Originally Posted by jbreezy View Post
    sorry for all these noob questions... but by monitoring it with the AP how will i know if it is accepting the tune well? what should i look for?
    There is a ton of info on COBBs website. I monitor DAM, A/F, Oil temp, FKL, Feedback knock, and boost. You can also do a data log and post it on this site for folks to take a look at. Do not apologize for the questions, we all have them, and the health of your engine is vital.

Journal-

I would still recommend a pro tune in any car with mods goose

Quote Originally Posted by ronniedb82 View Post
    I would still recommend a pro tune in any car with mods goose
    Not questioning the tune at all man, just the j pipe vs down pipe relative to someone that obviously is not familiar w/ mods. Pro tune ftw!

Journal-

In most all cases, the Accessports off the shelf tune will be just fine for your car. Checking on your air/fuel ratios and boost levels wouldn't hurt at all, but generally speaking the AP tune is going to be fine. In some pretty rare cases, the tune won't really work well for your car (this happened to me... I was overboosting like crazy in my 03, but it was obvious immediately).

What you get with a protune is a tune that is made for your car specifically. So you are going to get much better performance AND a safer tune at the same time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.