Subaru WRX Forum banner

new car fmic bov bpv question

2K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  boostinbraun 
#1 ·
I just bought a 07 wrx on ebay. I go to get it next weekend. The guy said the bov the previous owner had on it is causes it to run a little weird under full boost. So I ordered the cobb xle bpv so I have the option of running it however I like. The only problem is that it has a fmic and how the previous one it mounted does not look applicable to the cobb one at all. I found the most similar bov i could.
TurboXS Type S Blow Off Valve - MAPerformance
And this is the one I ordered COBB Tuning - Subaru XLE Bypass Valve
I am wondering if anyone knows what I will need to do to make it work. I am willingto buy a piece of pipe if that comes to it but I have no idea where to start or look. Any help is appreciated.

#2 ·
Good call on getting a bypass valve vs a blowoff valve. I would, however, be giving this car a THOROUGH mechanical check once you receive it. Unfortunately, " The blowoff valve makes it run a little weird" seems to be the most common excuse for people who did stupid things, like run a downpipe without a tune, and that "blow off valve" excuse is ACTUALLY your engine knocking under load, and retarding timing and cutting fuel in hopes of not detonating.

I hope before you bought it you asked for things like a compression/leakdown test, current tune, etc.

#3 ·
There are different flanges and adapters you can get to make it work. Looks like the Cobb BPV has the standard Subaru flange on it.. and without pics or anything, I would guess that the FMIC has a 50mm universal port coming off of it. In that case, you would need one 50mm->Subaru adapter flange, a short piece of 50mm hose, and two hose clamps.

Although I will second what irickchad said about what the guy selling the car told you. Telling people "you just need to change the BOV and it will run right" seems to be the common excuse for a car that is having mechanical issues that the owner can't figure out how to fix.. I would say it's a rare case that they're actually going to be telling you the truth.

#10 ·
Something like this: http://www.nolimitmotorsport.com/prod/SYN-SB001-13A?gclid=CMa_ubbF0MQCFZOBaQod83UAgA

One more thing. If you look at the engine bay picture it appears as if the flange used to be there farther down the pipe. Any ideas?

I don't see that.. but I do see a spot where it looks like the hood has been rubbing on a pipe. I would do something to remedy that right away.. those pipes aren't very thick. If it gets a hole in it it's going to be a hassle to fix, unless you're a welder with the equipment for welding aluminum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.