Tuning Question.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Tuning Question. within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Quite honestly i dont know if this is the correct area for tuning questions but i will go ahead anyways. ...

Tuning Question.

Quite honestly i dont know if this is the correct area for tuning questions but i will go ahead anyways.
    I bought a 2003 wrx recently and it drives very well for 180k miles. However the previous owner thew on some minor mods.
    These mods include:
    3 inch turboback exhaust.
    an aftermarket larger intercooler.
    COBB cold air intake
    Unknown larger BOV

I was wondering however, that since the car has not been tuned with these mods, should i be hesitant when driving the car hard. Even with that said, do i need a tune? I have access to free tuning, but im wondering how important it is, and how fast i should get it done.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    the 02-03 models can get away with basic modifications without a tune, however you will not see the power benefits of said modifications until a tune is done.

my suggestion:

- replace the uppipe if it hasnt already been replaced with a catless model
    - remove the BOV & replace with OEM unit
    - get a tune

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX
    If you have access to free (and reputable) tuning, then why not? The car will definitely run better with a tune regardless of if you need it.

But for your year, you don't necessarily need a tune for the exhaust or intercooler. I would go for the tune just because the intake is on there. Also, if the BOV is venting to atmosphere i would replace that with a fully recirculating one.

Here are a few helpful links.

First Modifications - what to do and not to do

Intake FAQ

"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged)

Yes, you need an EM for engine mods

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.