Subaru WRX Forum banner

Your thoughts on the Blouch 440XT turbocharger?

17K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  ELChoppE 
#1 ·
Making this thread in hopes of getting more info/input/feedback.

Put yourself in this situation:
You have a 2.5L EJ GR/GV with basically all bolt ons and e85.
You love the 400tq but wanting about the same hp too.
You want a turbo with the appropriate 08+ wrx compressor flange.

What do you think about the Blouch 440XT? Specifically with 10cm hotside and the "HPD" upgraded turbine wheel. Basically the highest flowing version.

I see little to no info about it aside from Blouch posted specs, which is barely anything at all:
Subaru Legacy GT 440XT Turbocharger

It looks to be a 44lb turbo (so should be good to 440hp at full tilt)
All the plots I was able to dig up were on pump gas, and basically in the 330-350 range, with only 1 in the nearly 400 range. I've looked everywhere and just can't seem to find much feedback/info on it, or a whole lot of people using it.

Comparing it to other turbo specs and the stock vf52 it's 44lb vs 34lb, and most large 18g's are in the 43lb range, so I'd guess it's somewhere around a large 18g/small 20g size/flow, but again just my guess.

Anyone care to chime in?
Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm thinking the specific person better have some forged internals before trying to push 400/400. I know that the 440XT packs a lot of punch, but I think it's more comparable to a 16G as far as performance. I just recently purchased a new turbo, the FP Green HTA. I highly considered the Blouch 440XT before settling on this option.

In all honesty, with a small compressor wheel and huge 10cm hot side, I don't think it will do that well, but that's just my opinion. The HTA Green w/ Stock size compressor housing has a 58lb/min wheel, and can push some serious air. It's also available in an 84mm Anti Surge Compressor housing.

If you're dead set on a BPT turbo, though, I'd just get the Dom 1.5XTR and call it a day. An easy 400hp turbo.

#3 ·
Thanks for your input.

The biggest reason for leaning in this direction is actually the OEM compressor flange on this turbo making it completely PNP. It will need to bolt up to the stock tmic at least once every 2 years to pass smog/inspection. (it won't be run full tilt on stock tmic, don't worry lol)

The green is a big-boy, and while pretty cool it's way too big for the power goals here. The goals, literally, are 400/400 on a dynojet, on e85. The vf52 at full tilt already achieves the 400tq part, but doesn't quite have the lungs for 400hp.

I do see where you're coming from with the comp wheel to turbine wheel comment though, which is another thing that concerns me a bit - would the hotside be too big for the needs in this case, or would the larger hotside and bigger turbine wheel relieve backpressure and allow the car to breathe better up top achieving the 400hp and not boost creeping or falling hard towards redline like the vf52?

#6 ·
It sounds like I'm trying to push FP Like a mofo, but have you looked at their 71HTA? Sounds like it may also be on par with your goals, and it's not a "big boy" so to speak. There are a number of manufacturers that make STI/WRX "plug n play" turbos with our flange though, just for the record... FP. BPT. Kunigawa. Others.

#4 ·
Keep in mind as well, WRXs that are heavily modded aren't daily drivers.
The more you do to the car to make it more powerful, the less dependable it becomes.
Do your homework on mods considering the cost of engine failure.
And check out your local Subaru meets, this will help a considerable amount.

#5 ·
Thanks for your input.

This car is not a daily driver. All risks of modification and exceeding limits have been considered. No worries there.

This question/discussion is specifically about this turbocharger, it's characteristics, and feedback regarding how the specs posted actually panned out in real life for people.

I wish someone local had one, but unfortunately no one does. I am very active in the local subaru community.

#10 ·
VladiWrX said:
dynojet at sea level
What specific dyno? Who is doing the tuning? If you're not DIY tuning the vehicle, your calibrator should be involved in this decision; what do they have to say on the matter?

#15 ·
Alright well, I guess I should follow up on this thread and post results. (so that someone in the future can get a better idea of what this setup is like, because it was AMAZING!!)

I got the 440xt 10cm with the HPD upgrade. Basically fully optioned out from Blouch.
The rest of the setup on my 2013 WRX:
Blouch 440xt 10cm HPD
KillerB ELH
GS tmic
GS 3port
AEM intake
GS dp
Cobb exhaust
ID1000 injectors
DW65c pump

Some pics

next to a vf52

And the power it made

and of course time slips to back it up ;)

The car was an absolute animal. I loved every minute of it. But I have recently parted it and traded for a v8 ;)

My conclusion: this is an amazing turbo, and I would recommend it to everyone. It bolts right in without any modification, it works great, and it looks stock (for those people that want to know what you have under the hood after you blew their doors off lol)

Any questions feel free to ask. Thanks for reading

#16 ·
Alright well, I guess I should follow up on this thread and post results. (so that someone in the future can get a better idea of what this setup is like, because it was AMAZING!!)

I got the 440xt 10cm with the HPD upgrade. Basically fully optioned out from Blouch.
The rest of the setup on my 2013 WRX:
Blouch 440xt 10cm HPD
KillerB ELH
GS tmic
GS 3port
AEM intake
GS dp
Cobb exhaust
ID1000 injectors
DW65c pump

Some pics

next to a vf52

And the power it made

and of course time slips to back it up ;)

The car was an absolute animal. I loved every minute of it. But I have recently parted it and traded for a v8 ;)

My conclusion: this is an amazing turbo, and I would recommend it to everyone. It bolts right in without any modification, it works great, and it looks stock (for those people that want to know what you have under the hood after you blew their doors off lol)

Any questions feel free to ask. Thanks for reading
Hey man I can’t see the pics could you send the dyno sheets ect thinking of using this turbo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.