Your thoughts on the Blouch 440XT turbocharger?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Your thoughts on the Blouch 440XT turbocharger? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Making this thread in hopes of getting more info/input/feedback. Put yourself in this situation: You have a 2.5L EJ GR/GV ...

Question Your thoughts on the Blouch 440XT turbocharger?

Making this thread in hopes of getting more info/input/feedback.

Put yourself in this situation:
    You have a 2.5L EJ GR/GV with basically all bolt ons and e85.
    You love the 400tq but wanting about the same hp too.
    You want a turbo with the appropriate 08+ wrx compressor flange.

What do you think about the Blouch 440XT? Specifically with 10cm hotside and the "HPD" upgraded turbine wheel. Basically the highest flowing version.

I see little to no info about it aside from Blouch posted specs, which is barely anything at all:
    Subaru Legacy GT 440XT Turbocharger

It looks to be a 44lb turbo (so should be good to 440hp at full tilt)
    All the plots I was able to dig up were on pump gas, and basically in the 330-350 range, with only 1 in the nearly 400 range. I've looked everywhere and just can't seem to find much feedback/info on it, or a whole lot of people using it.

Comparing it to other turbo specs and the stock vf52 it's 44lb vs 34lb, and most large 18g's are in the 43lb range, so I'd guess it's somewhere around a large 18g/small 20g size/flow, but again just my guess.

Anyone care to chime in?
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

For External Use Only irickchad's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I'm thinking the specific person better have some forged internals before trying to push 400/400. I know that the 440XT packs a lot of punch, but I think it's more comparable to a 16G as far as performance. I just recently purchased a new turbo, the FP Green HTA. I highly considered the Blouch 440XT before settling on this option.

In all honesty, with a small compressor wheel and huge 10cm hot side, I don't think it will do that well, but that's just my opinion. The HTA Green w/ Stock size compressor housing has a 58lb/min wheel, and can push some serious air. It's also available in an 84mm Anti Surge Compressor housing.

If you're dead set on a BPT turbo, though, I'd just get the Dom 1.5XTR and call it a day. An easy 400hp turbo.

Thanks for your input.

The biggest reason for leaning in this direction is actually the OEM compressor flange on this turbo making it completely PNP. It will need to bolt up to the stock tmic at least once every 2 years to pass smog/inspection. (it won't be run full tilt on stock tmic, don't worry lol)

The green is a big-boy, and while pretty cool it's way too big for the power goals here. The goals, literally, are 400/400 on a dynojet, on e85. The vf52 at full tilt already achieves the 400tq part, but doesn't quite have the lungs for 400hp.

I do see where you're coming from with the comp wheel to turbine wheel comment though, which is another thing that concerns me a bit - would the hotside be too big for the needs in this case, or would the larger hotside and bigger turbine wheel relieve backpressure and allow the car to breathe better up top achieving the 400hp and not boost creeping or falling hard towards redline like the vf52?

I Support ClubWRX
    Keep in mind as well, WRXs that are heavily modded aren't daily drivers.
    The more you do to the car to make it more powerful, the less dependable it becomes.
    Do your homework on mods considering the cost of engine failure.
    And check out your local Subaru meets, this will help a considerable amount.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

Thanks for your input.

This car is not a daily driver. All risks of modification and exceeding limits have been considered. No worries there.

This question/discussion is specifically about this turbocharger, it's characteristics, and feedback regarding how the specs posted actually panned out in real life for people.

I wish someone local had one, but unfortunately no one does. I am very active in the local subaru community.

For External Use Only irickchad's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by VladiWrX View Post
    Thanks for your input.

The biggest reason for leaning in this direction is actually the OEM compressor flange on this turbo making it completely PNP. It will need to bolt up to the stock tmic at least once every 2 years to pass smog/inspection. (it won't be run full tilt on stock tmic, don't worry lol)

The green is a big-boy, and while pretty cool it's way too big for the power goals here. The goals, literally, are 400/400 on a dynojet, on e85. The vf52 at full tilt already achieves the 400tq part, but doesn't quite have the lungs for 400hp.

I do see where you're coming from with the comp wheel to turbine wheel comment though, which is another thing that concerns me a bit - would the hotside be too big for the needs in this case, or would the larger hotside and bigger turbine wheel relieve backpressure and allow the car to breathe better up top achieving the 400hp and not boost creeping or falling hard towards redline like the vf52?
    It sounds like I'm trying to push FP Like a mofo, but have you looked at their 71HTA? Sounds like it may also be on par with your goals, and it's not a "big boy" so to speak. There are a number of manufacturers that make STI/WRX "plug n play" turbos with our flange though, just for the record... FP. BPT. Kunigawa. Others.

Hmm, I didn't know FP makes a pnp 08+ turbo. Thanks for that.
    I know about Kinugawa, but don't want to use them for various reasons.

I Support ClubWRX
    What mods? What dyno?
    2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road - Daily
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno) - Weekend

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

dynojet at sea level

aem cai
    gs 3port
    killerb holy header
    invidia catless dp
    cobb exhaust
    gs tmic
    id1000's
    dw65c
    aem uego
    aem dbg
    e85

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by VladiWrX
    dynojet at sea level
    What specific dyno? Who is doing the tuning? If you're not DIY tuning the vehicle, your calibrator should be involved in this decision; what do they have to say on the matter?
    2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road - Daily
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno) - Weekend

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160310_071101 (1).jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	248377

THATS MY BLOUCH 440XT SHEET WITH CATLESS DOWNPIPE AND ID 850S!!!

I mean the set up your talking about doing is okay...BUT.....you could get much better turbo`s/setups for what it seems you want..

440xt wont get you there on 93 pump

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10447157_10153662570607730_7501160624278887246_n.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	106.9 KB 
ID:	250962

Alright well, I guess I should follow up on this thread and post results. (so that someone in the future can get a better idea of what this setup is like, because it was AMAZING!!)

I got the 440xt 10cm with the HPD upgrade. Basically fully optioned out from Blouch.
    The rest of the setup on my 2013 WRX:
    Blouch 440xt 10cm HPD
    KillerB ELH
    GS tmic
    GS 3port
    AEM intake
    GS dp
    Cobb exhaust
    ID1000 injectors
    DW65c pump

Some pics

next to a vf52

And the power it made

and of course time slips to back it up

The car was an absolute animal. I loved every minute of it. But I have recently parted it and traded for a v8

My conclusion: this is an amazing turbo, and I would recommend it to everyone. It bolts right in without any modification, it works great, and it looks stock (for those people that want to know what you have under the hood after you blew their doors off lol)

Any questions feel free to ask. Thanks for reading

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.