Noob Question: Need help with J-Pipes for FA20
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

This is a discussion on Noob Question: Need help with J-Pipes for FA20 within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Before the posting of hate, I am new to engines that use a Turbo... So please keep scrolling if you ...

  1. #1
    Registered User DanaD3x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    16

    Noob Question: Need help with J-Pipes for FA20

    Before the posting of hate, I am new to engines that use a Turbo... So please keep scrolling if you have nothing nice to say!

    I need help with J-Pipes (Down Pipe)... Looking into the options currently available for the '15 WRX and I am noticing that they all seem to be right around the same price (+/-$700 for the Cat-less version). However, I'm looking at the Invidia J-pipe and its nearly half the price of the Catted version? Why so low??

    On another note, for those who own a '15 with an FA20, Have you installed a J-Pipe? If so, Which one and how do you like it? Recommendations?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User nsibanez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    3,666
    Invidia tends to be cheaper. The same for older gens, some downpipe like perrin are in my opinion way too much

    Granted I don't have a 15, but invidia makes amazing products and the price is pretty good. No one pipe will be better than the other either, they all do the same thing so it's going to come down to preference and budget

    Also make sure to get a proper tune
    Stinkeye member 520

  4. #3
    Registered User DanaD3x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    Invidia tends to be cheaper. The same for older gens, some downpipe like perrin are in my opinion way too much

    Granted I don't have a 15, but invidia makes amazing products and the price is pretty good. No one pipe will be better than the other either, they all do the same thing so it's going to come down to preference and budget

    Also make sure to get a proper tune
    Thanks man! Makes sense to me. I understand that the '15 being so new, whatever companies do come out with "Upgrades", they will be way inflated. At the end of the day, its a pipe... lol

    With that being said, Lets say, I decide on the Invidia, Can I use the COBB ots for their "TBE"? (Again, please pardon the noobiness of my questions.)

  5. #4
    Registered User WRX-maniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western Maryland
    Posts
    991
    I agree with nsibanez on the invidia exhausts. I have an invidia turbo back on my car now, and also have had invidia on my older wrx. They are an excellent company, their craftsmanship is excellent and everything fits like a glove. I recommend invidia to anyone and everyone looking for an exhaust.


    Quote Originally Posted by DanaD3x View Post
    With that being said, Lets say, I decide on the Invidia, Can I use the COBB ots for their "TBE"? (Again, please pardon the noobiness of my questions.)
    You can use any variant of exhaust brands with the cobb maps, as long as you follow their map notes. Cobb has always based their maps on downpipes (j pipe in your case) with a high flow cat. So going catless would not work with a cobb map. Make sense? Basically you can buy and run any downpipe with a cobb tune as long as its catted.

    Many people go catless to try to save a few bucks up front. But what they don't realize is that by going cheaper on the catless DP they have to pay for a tune from a protuner, email tuner (such as WTF tuning, or Torqued Performance), which can cost up to 500 dollars depending on the protuner or whatever company you go with for an e-tune. Not to mention that by sometimes going with a catless DP can cause boost creep. And the only way to get rid of boost creep is by going with an external wastegate setup. So then all the parts for an ewg setup and retune, well over a grand.
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread

  6. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    23
    All good product, I run turboXS turbo back exhaust. Great sound, not too enoying loud, Great Scooby rumble, turbo spool sounds awesome. Good welds and everything fit perfect with out a single hang up.

  7. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    23
    Good prices as well, don't pay for overpriced brands when there is better out there, forums are definitely the way to learn. They sure help me a lot.... just had to replace and have a turbo rebuild, great learning experience.

  8. #7
    Registered User DanaD3x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by WRX-maniac View Post
    You can use any variant of exhaust brands with the cobb maps, as long as you follow their map notes. Cobb has always based their maps on downpipes (j pipe in your case) with a high flow cat. So going catless would not work with a cobb map. Make sense? Basically you can buy and run any downpipe with a cobb tune as long as its catted.

    Many people go catless to try to save a few bucks up front. But what they don't realize is that by going cheaper on the catless DP they have to pay for a tune from a protuner, email tuner (such as WTF tuning, or Torqued Performance), which can cost up to 500 dollars depending on the protuner or whatever company you go with for an e-tune. Not to mention that by sometimes going with a catless DP can cause boost creep. And the only way to get rid of boost creep is by going with an external wastegate setup. So then all the parts for an ewg setup and retune, well over a grand.
    makes Total sense to me now! Thanks for the input dude.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •