Need advice!!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Need advice!! within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I currently have a 2011 WRX with catless down pipe, vf52, catback exhaust, AEM CAI, and tuned. I wanna push ...

Need advice!!

I currently have a 2011 WRX with catless down pipe, vf52, catback exhaust, AEM CAI, and tuned. I wanna push 300whp sticking with the Vf52. I was gonna upgrade to fmic or TMIC, 800cc injectors, fuel pump, and run E85, would it be possible to achieve 300whp?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    It depends on the dyno.
    Mine is rated at 291whp, but that can vary.
    You have a solid plan, but let me make a couple suggestions.
    Get a Process West TMIC or the Verticooler TMIC.
    ID 1000s are the popular choice for injectors. Those are what my tuner recomended.
    The DW65 fuel pump is also very popular, and used by a lot of our members.
    Adding an external wastegate will also be beneficial to you.
    I would also do the headers, Killer B makes an awesome product.
    Once your done you will also need a retune. It's probably worth your while to have an E85 tune and a pump gas tune. I stick to 93 pump gas preferably Shell, this is a personal preference. We don't have E85 near where I live.

Also upgrading bushings and brakes will also make sense for your build. Stainless steel lines are a smart investment. And change over to dot 4 brake fluid.
    If you don't have them already, upgrade your swaybars and endlinks. This will give you a well balanced upgrade.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

Thank you for the advice. Im trying to build on a budget lol. I would rather prefer to go fmic consider I plan on doing 18g turbo. But I do know a TMIC is better with a vf52. And I have E85 everywhere here in Colorado. But I was also told that doing 850cc injectors is worthless with a vf52 is this true?

I Support ClubWRX
    I haven't heard that, though I do know mutch about the 850cc.
    Keep in mind that a FMIC has a lot more plumbing.
    That will affect it's spool time.
    Is this your daily driver?
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 11wrxCO View Post
    I currently have a 2011 WRX with catless down pipe, vf52, catback exhaust, AEM CAI, and tuned. I wanna push 300whp sticking with the Vf52. I was gonna upgrade to fmic or TMIC, 800cc injectors, fuel pump, and run E85, would it be possible to achieve 300whp?
    You'll definitely want something bigger than 800cc injectors if you are going to be running E85. As suggested, 1000cc at least. You can run safer with E85 due to the high octane, so you can push a more aggressive tune. I like the suggestions of the equal length headers, TMIC and EWG as suggested. No need for a front mount on the stock turbo set up. Running a more aggressive tune, you will want to consider getting a replacement by pass valve (such tail or forge fully recirculating). You shouldn't have a problem hitting 300 WHP properly set up on the stock turbo with E85.

Might want to consider some braking, suspension mods as well to compliment the power.

I Support ClubWRX
    Here is my suggestion:

New TMIC
    new BPV
    1000cc Injectors, at minimum (for the e85)
    Fuel pump
    you already have the intake
    you already have the downpipe
    EWG
    new up pipe to fit your EWG
    equal length header
    and a new 3 port electronic boost control solenoid

300whp is easily achievable with the stock turbo and this list will probably put you right around 320whp and 350ft-lbs of torque. EDIT: 320 and 350 on pump fuel. on e85 you should be able to do well over those numbers.
    Last edited by McBill; 02-11-2015 at 07:28 AM.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Tuned by Turn in Concepts
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

This is my daily driver so I wanna be able to switch back and forth from e85 to 91. And McBill I might go that rought.

I Support ClubWRX
    This is my daily driver so I wanna be able to switch back and forth from e85 to 91. And McBill I might go that rought.
    Switching back and forth may not be that easy unless you have an SI drive, which you don't. Plus you'd have to purge the tank every time you wanted to switch from e85 to 91. But that can be solved with the installation of a purge valve somewhere in your fuel line. You could see if your tuner would be willing to do two separate maps and let you keep one on your AP to reflash to the computer when you wanted to switch, but a tuner may be reluctant to do this. Having said all of that, I would say pick one and stick to it.
    Last edited by McBill; 02-11-2015 at 07:33 AM.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Tuned by Turn in Concepts
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    There are ways to use flexfuel and ethanol scaling, Bill.

Most options require a piggyback ECU management system with ECA input for scaling timing and fueling.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly stock 2015 STi - Seeking B-Stock supremacy
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon (SOLD)

Zach | Moderator | Builds, Electronics/Car Audio, Engine Modifications, Mid-Atlantic States, Suspension & Wheels, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs |
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    There are ways to use flexfuel and ethanol scaling, Bill.

Most options require a piggyback ECU management system with ECA input for scaling timing and fueling.
    Interesting. Is there a way to easily do it with the AP? Also, what about switching fuel. could you just go nearly empty on one and fill up the tank with another? Most of the people I've seen switch have some sort of way to drain the tank completely.
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

Quote Originally Posted by McBill View Post
    Is there a way to easily do it with the AP? Also, what about switching fuel. could you just go nearly empty on one and fill up the tank with another? Most of the people I've seen switch have some sort of way to drain the tank completely.

Cobb is working on flex fuel support for the AP.. last I saw Lance said they're close (at least for GR models.. unfortunately for some of us they haven't decided whether or not to work on it for 16-bit ECUs yet).

You can just run it down to almost empty before switching.. that's what most people do, but that can also get you in trouble if you don't run it down enough. Ethanol is pretty forgiving detonation wise. If you're tuned for e85, you have two gallons of e10 91 octane left in the tank, and fill up with e85 that's still around 75% ethanol.. which is higher than some winter blends, and should be okay as long as the tune isn't supper aggressive. It will run richer with less ethanol, so that helps as well. Switching the other way may not be as forgiving, since running two gallons of e85 on a 91 octane tune will lean out AFRs.. but at the same time the additional ethanol should provide some detonation resistance, and one would hope a 91 octane map is already pretty conservative on the timing.

I would rather prefer to go fmic consider I plan on doing 18g turbo.

An 18g is hardly bigger than a vf52.. people run turbos twice that size with a TMIC and it's fine. BUT, if peak power and drag times are what you're after, FMIC may be the better choice.

So its isn't a good idea to run straight E85?

zax
    So its isn't a good idea to run straight E85?
    Where on earth did you get this?

I ran a TMIC with an 18G for a long time
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly stock 2015 STi - Seeking B-Stock supremacy
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon (SOLD)

Zach | Moderator | Builds, Electronics/Car Audio, Engine Modifications, Mid-Atlantic States, Suspension & Wheels, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs |
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

What is a good BPV?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.