new mods advice
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on new mods advice within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I had bought my WRX not knowing about the performance and how nice it can be tuned to... A rally ...

new mods advice

I had bought my WRX not knowing about the performance and how nice it can be tuned to... A rally beast! so as i was over seas i had learned some about what parts change are acute to each stage of tune. So recently i was out playing on some dirt roads, and after running a great ride, i had noticed a knocking. It scared the **** out of me and got it home as easily as possible. so i have a friend who is long time mechanic. He said there was a knock and seems to be coming from the turbo side of the motor and was not knocking faster with more throttle, just about the same rpm the turbo spools. So i assume a bearing has gone bad, so i was going to buy a rebuild kit. So i believe the stock turbo is a TD04L? and i have seen those and TD05's for reasonable prices. Should i go bigger?... Which leads me to my next thought..

I had bought some parts while i was overseas so i plan on putting on a up-pipe and a turbo timer(if needed) new springs, and new front bumper, including putting a cold air on. Now i need to just get my car running to drive so the knock has to be fixed FIRST, which i think it is. But i was thinking if i was going in maybe put a few more parts in. So i been thinking getting the turbo back and new injectors with a new fuel pump. and a friend has a Cobb access port and i cant seem to find maps for the access port to work with what parts. Thank you for any advise as the love for DSM's has inflated to ... ahhhhh wow, well thats best i got, but thank you really

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The Guy On The Couch TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome!
    What is your car?
    Year/Model? What mods are one it?
    It sounds like rod knock, but it's very hard to tell with limited info.
    Fill in the blanks, and our senior members can point you in the right direction.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

I Support ClubWRX
    You need to bring your car to a mechanic that can tell you exactly what is wrong with your car, not just what might be wrong with your car. If you just guess and then start buying parts you will be throwing money at it. As TL says above, let us know model/year/mods and we can help you out. BTW, you don't need a turbo timer.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TownLine500 View Post
    It sounds like rod knock, but it's very hard to tell with limited info.
    If it's coming from the passenger's side, and is not in synchronization with the rpms, then it's likely not rod knock and could be something with the turbo as OP said.

OP, let it be known that if you upgrade the turbo that's not the only expense incurred. With a bigger turbo you will likely need a more efficient intercooler, some bigger injectors, possibly a fuel pump, and likely some other parts I can't think of off the top of my head. It's not just a bolt a go process.

Also, it's no surprise the AP doesn't have maps supporting you mods list, as the only parts that are supported by Cobb are those to go with an intake and a turbo back exhaust.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Tuned by Turn in Concepts
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator | Builds, Electronics/Car Audio, Engine Modifications, Mid-Atlantic States, Suspension & Wheels, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs |
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Thank you for the welcome... sorry i forgot the most important info, i have a 05 wrx not sti unfortunately. i have installed the cold air on and had taken it to a guy with a programmer for reading codes and such, and had it running back to normal.

Now i do believe it is the turbo that has the "knock" because its almost as u can feel it from there when your under the hood. Also my Mechanic is my father in law that has a very reputable rep, but thats beside the fact. I have wrenching on things all my life, just not a pro...

Also i understand that changing my turbo is not just a bolt on, but i have no tuner shops with in 300 miles. thats why i was wondering about the access port.
    Also with the purchising the new turbo, i was going to complete the exhaust out... also thinking of new injectors and pump.

BUT should i just rebuild my stock turbo or get a new bigger one?

I Support ClubWRX
    Anything above a stage 2 set up (down pipe) and an intake you will need the car to be professionally turned to run optimally. You can either drive to a tuning shop, or get an E-tune. If you do indeed have an issue with your turbo, I would get a stock location OEM spec turbo replacement. If you are going to replace with a higher performance turbo you will want to add a lot of supporting mods (better intercooler, larger injectors, higher flowing fuel pump, recommended forged internals, etc.). This will be a very pricy undertaking. If you want a recommendation, bring the car to someone that can tell you EXACTLY what is wrong with it (I mean no offense by this statement, but you need to know what is wrong with your car - an individual that has experience with suabrus is the one to go to). Fix it. Then if you want more power go for the high flow down pipe, intake, access port, or tactrix cable and tune properly. If that is not enough power, then go from there. I would make certain the car is up to date maintenance wise, then get a compression/leakdown test done, and make any fixes prior to additional modifications before you move forward with performance mods.

This is a good thread if you haven't read through it yet --->First Modifications - what to do and not to do
    Last edited by 11blackSTi; 02-06-2015 at 07:11 PM.

something else forever Germz to Japz's Avatar
    2005 wrx's look sick, congrats and welcome

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.