Subaru WRX Forum banner

ETS 2015 Subaru WRX Air Intake Kit

36K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  Cisco Kidd 
#1 ·
Thinking about purchasing the ETS 2015 Subaru WRX Air Intake Kit. Is anyone familiar with this kit or have it installed? I'm not interested in having to perform a "tune" but I would like a little more power and dress things up a bit. ETS claims that it is safe to run without a tune. What do you guys think. I'm fairly new to mods and really don't want to mess things up. I would just like some suggestions on whether or not the purchase would be worth it.

ETS 2015 Subaru WRX Air Intake Kit

#2 ·
I'd pass on the intake and read / learn a lot more of what works and what does not.

Forced induction engines do not respond the same way intake-wise that ambient atmospheric pressure engines do.

Keep reading and welcome to the Club! :wave:

#3 ·
No, something seems off between "not requiring a tune", "only changes afr by .4 (don't specify which way)", and then contradict themselves with their picture linked, which the afr actually start going lean by as much of at least .5. So I don't believe anything claimed

Plus what squatch said

Welcome! Great forum, you'll learn a lot.

#4 · (Edited)
Because of the way the engine piping is laid out on that engine there really isn't a true 'cold-air' intake being made. They all just throw a short ram into an otherwise warm engine bay. There really isn't a huge plus to throwing something like this on the car. Also, I find it odd that they didn't include intake air temp in any of their data. Also, there is at least one thread on NASIOC related to this and despite being asked numerous times for dyno proof ETS still hasn't posted one up. I'm not saying it's particularly unsafe but without a tune it's taking a gamble and you may actually lose some power. There are better ways to spend $300.

#6 ·
Ya see? This is why I can't find them credible enough to trust their word, and add to a reason I wouldn't buy from them. It'll just taint the car at that point

I'll second the post above as well. Those are great starter

#5 ·
I think the best first mods people buy are a Cobb Accessport or Tactrix Cable, w/ a Stage 1 tune, and an Air/Oil Seperator. Welcome to the forums, and like nsibanez said, you're in for a learning experience!

#8 ·
WGOKC,

I just purchased and installed the ETS Air Intake w/o air box. I feel that it does get rid of the lag and it sounds absolutely fantastic. I wanted to Cobb tune my car but I'm waiting for the warranty to expire before i do that.

I understand that there are always "better" ways to spend your money, but I always liked the breathing mods first before I started doing other things.

Lastly, you can install everything from the top. It's not necessary to remove the bottom covers. Hope this can give you both sides to think about.

#9 ·
WGOKC,

I just purchased and installed the ETS Air Intake w/o air box. I feel that it does get rid of the lag and it sounds absolutely fantastic. I wanted to Cobb tune my car but I'm waiting for the warranty to expire before i do that.

I understand that there are always "better" ways to spend your money, but I always liked the breathing mods first before I started doing other things.

Lastly, you can install everything from the top. It's not necessary to remove the bottom covers. Hope this can give you both sides to think about.
You pretty much missed everything said in this thread. Here is a great article to read, by Cobb. Technical Articles

#12 ·
(WARNING:Noob question): I understand that boosted engines are different from NA engines but I am curious, of all the Intakes currently available for the FA20, why is it that the AEM intake seems to be the only one that can be run without a tune (according to their site)? What makes it different? All I see is a mandrel bent tube, filter, and MAF hole. :confused:

#24 ·
It's not that FI engines are inherently different from NA engines, it just happens to be that the MAF piping is much closer to the filter on typical FI motor for packaging reasons. This makes MAF scaling much more sensitive to aftermarket intakes on FI motors. Motors like the Ford Ecoboost are speed density fueled and are unaffected by intakes.

#13 ·
A lot of companies will claim that their intakes can be ran without a tune. Perrin, AEM.... just to name a couple off the top of my head. To me, this is more or less a gimmick. There are an abundance of threads out there showing logs with stock tunes and an intake where the intake messed up the AFR, which can eventually lead to engine damage being done. Bottom line, when adding anything outside of a catback or a drop in air filter, get a tune.

#17 ·
I have the ets on mine and just for my own knowledge I did a few logs without a tune after I installed it. Long story short, you'll probably be ok for a little while without a tune. It's definitely not something I'd recommend doing long term tho. A quick tune gets you right back to safe (long term) A/F ratios.

#28 ·
Unless you had a wideband there way no way for you to verify the actual Openloop AFR.

There is one intake that doesn't require a tune. Mishimoto I want to say??
However IIRC, there's very little if any power gains, air fuel ratios I think ran a little bit more lean but nothing unsafe...still around 14.7 but not more than 15, and only on 93 octane, anything less will lean it out too much.
That would be the closed loop fueling AFR,where the ECU does make adjustment to the AFR. What were the openloop/WOT AFRs? I don't care about the cruising AFR. I would want to know the AFR's at boost onset though redline.

#18 ·
There is one intake that doesn't require a tune. Mishimoto I want to say??
However IIRC, there's very little if any power gains, air fuel ratios I think ran a little bit more lean but nothing unsafe...still around 14.7 but not more than 15, and only on 93 octane, anything less will lean it out too much.
But again, you're spending 200 bucks or so for no benefits. So unless you're budget is really tight. ..maybe you can run it safe for a short while before getting a proper tune

#20 ·
Lol that's about it
Also a lot of us coming from the older ej series are uptight about tunes. And honestly I'd rather dish that extra bit out to mod the car correctly and keep the reliability and longevity of the car. You spent upwards of 25 grand, why wouldn't you want to do something correctly

#22 ·
I get that I really do. I'm not new to subaru at all I just happen to own a 2015. I can honestly say these fa20dit's respond quite a bit different to certain mods. Intakes are a lot more responsive on these. I got about 17 hp out of mine with a tune, and the whoosh ;) all with safe ratios. I do a log almost every other day and look it over. Never had any problems.

I get that I really do. I'm not new to subaru at all I just happen to own a 2015. I can honestly say these fa20dit's respond quite a bit different to certain mods. Intakes are a lot more responsive on these. I got about 17 hp out of mine with a tune, and the whoosh ;) all with safe ratios. I do a log almost every other day and look it over. Never had any problems.
Edit: 17hp from just the intake. Not overall.

#21 ·

#23 ·
There is a reason why the car picks up power. I've explained this several times: the car leans out from improper AFR scaling. The stock tune is very rich for safety, so this is still no damaging, but it's the incorrect way to make power. I could give you your 17whp with just a laptop and a tactrix cable, stock intake. Don't buy into the marketing BS.

EDIT: ****, I just realized you said "logging"... You're not running an OTS tune with that intake are you??

#25 ·
Im not. There is no improper MAF scaling, trust me. I've spent hours going over my MAF scaling logs. You're totally correct, I'm not arguing with you. What my problem is, is when everyone assumes they know exactly how my car is running and what my ratios are and what my scaling is when they haven't even seen any of the data. No one here is saying just throw a CAI on and make power and you're good. Not one person. I'm sure you're experiencing and everything but don't assume everyone else are idiots.

#30 ·
im glad i found this forum! i have had my WRX for just under a year and am wanting to start upgrading her. I was looking at the aem and perrin cai (because of claims of not needing a tune) that and the initial temptation of doing a BOV I think ill pass on both and save for the exhaust instead. I do have one question, At what point do you think a intake would make a big difference (i did swap paper filter for a K&N OEM replacement because i work in the desert and want to be able to clean my filter every few weeks.) any thoughts?

#31 ·
AEM has a very good price on their CAI at this time w a $25 rebate making end cost $245 shipped. This special is on till the end of July/15. I am looking at a cat back exhaust , probably Q300, an AEM CAI and then get a Bren Etune. I don't think I will be going any further than that.

I like the AEM unit since it uses dry flow filter vs oiled so there should less to no issue w MAF sensor from what I have read, correct me if wrong

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.