HELP! 2002 ej20
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on HELP! 2002 ej20 within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Okay long story short I just became the new owner of a 2002 Wrx, I picked it up for 200$ ...

HELP! 2002 ej20

Okay long story short I just became the new owner of a 2002 Wrx, I picked it up for 200$ (yes two hundred). Here's the problem, it has a spun rod bearing. And now I'm contemplating what to do? I was told If I opened up the block halves and the damage wasn't too extensive I could get away with Rod&Main bearings.

Or since I got it so cheap should I just completely rebuild the engine with forged internals

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd replace it with an oem engine. But my cars are also my dailys. If you're going for all power without concern for reliability I'd open them up since you'll have to do so regardless anyway and build it up
    Stinkeye member 520

Not really looking for a high performance car, I'm looking for a DD that will handle as much as the stock turbo can throw at it. I wanted to just swap the rods, Pistons, bearings. I know the heads are fine I'm not worried about them. But also want reliability for when I feel like going WOT. I've considered a short block but id rather just build and reinforce the one I have

I Support ClubWRX
    Just buy a OEM short block from Subaru then.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Just buy a OEM short block from Subaru then.

This is precisely what I would do.. plus a new oil cooler, oil pump, timing belt kit, water pump, etc, and have the heads at the very least cleaned and the valve lash readjusted.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    This is precisely what I would do.. plus a new oil cooler, oil pump, timing belt kit, water pump, etc, and have the heads at the very least cleaned and the valve lash readjusted.
    ^ This is what I plan to do if/when my high mileage engine goes. Maybe an upgraded set of bearings, but at the very least an upgraded(killer b) oil pickup for extra insurance.
    Last edited by white-lightning; 12-10-2014 at 07:24 AM. Reason: typo
    '02 Midnight Black Pearl WRX wagon, 5-speed 216k miles
    factory short throw, triple gauge pod, premium sound
    Mishimoto radiator, Perrin inlet, H6 rear

Okay does anybody have a ballpark figure for how much it would be for a OEM short block

Quote Originally Posted by white-lightning View Post
    ^ This is what I plan to do if/when my high mileage engine goes. Maybe an upgraded set of bearings, but at the very least an upgraded(killer b) oil pickup for extra insurance.

I haven't really seen any upgraded bearings available for our cars. King bearings might be better than ACL, but whether they're any better than OEM bearings is debatable.

Quote Originally Posted by Klumzee View Post
    Okay does anybody have a ballpark figure for how much it would be for a OEM short block

Right around $1,850.. WRX EJ205 Shortblock

Sorry I know I'm a guppy to all these and appreciate the advise,

So everyone can agree upon me buying a new shortblock then rebuilding the one I have. I personally was thinking re-enforcing the one I have would be better but it looks like I'm wrong

Sorry I know I'm a guppy to all these and appreciate the advise,

So everyone can agree upon me buying a new shortblock then rebuilding the one I have. I personally was thinking re-enforcing the one I have would be better but it looks like I'm wrong

Unless you're shooting for over 330whp with a bigger turbo on there and a lot of mods, the OEM block will be far more reliable than a rebuilt one. No one can assemble them like Subaru.

In do time I do want to upgrade the turbo(VF48), fuel pump injectors and fuel regulator and have it tuned for E85. But that is all looking to be done within the next year

The car came with a Cobb down and a HKS mid and Carbon fiber muffler and a HKS mushroom intake and accessport V2 tuner other than that it's stock

In do time I do want to upgrade the turbo(VF48), fuel pump injectors and fuel regulator and have it tuned for E85. But that is all looking to be done within the next year

That should make a good amount of power (perhaps a little too much torque for the transmission). Even so, I would personally stick with an OEM assembled block.. that is, unless you want an aggressive tune and/or plan on racing it a lot and abuse the engine. For a daily driver, it's hard to beat the reliability of a block assembled by Subaru. Rebuilds have much looser tolerances and in general will wear out faster. Not to mention the high possibility of some sort of assembly error with a rebuild. Subaru builds literally tens of thousands of these, and they normally last more than 200k miles if properly maintained and not abused. That's pretty hard to beat.

Personally again I really appreciate the input. I'm not looking for a race car honestly. Round trip I commute about 65-70 miles a day for work and my Sierra even with flex fuel is kind of expensive. My buddy who owned the car first hooked me up with it almost for free because he didn't want to deal with all this drama. I want a reliable DD with a little pep in its step for those bad days when only the sound of a BOV and high speed can make you smile

Just make sure everything you keep from the old engine gets cleaned really well.. spun bearing sends shredded metal everywhere oil goes. You have to replace the oil cooler because it's pretty much impossible to get all the metal shards cleaned out of it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.