2014 Impreza WRX motor type?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2014 Impreza WRX motor type? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just got my first Subi about a month ago. LOVE the **** out of it. But I do not know ...

2014 Impreza WRX motor type?

Just got my first Subi about a month ago. LOVE the **** out of it. But I do not know much about the engine. Anybody know what kind of motor is in a 2014 Impreza WRX? I know it is a turboed 2.5L four cylinder, but isn't there a specific name for it like EJ20 or something? Im a rookie in the car scene if you cannot tell. And if I wanted to sell this current motor, (looking at swapping for an LS motor) how much would it go for? Has about 13xxx on it.

Also, thoughts on swapping for an LS motor of some sort?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    It's an EJ255. I'm not sure what it would sell for. If you don't mind my asking, whats your reasoning for doing an LS swap on a car that has a perfectly good motor in it?
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Tuned buy Turn in Concepts
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

I Support ClubWRX
    That LS1 motor should mount right up, yo. Don't worry about the steering system or transmission up that way ;-)

In all fairness, that is a difficult swap to say the least. If you have to ask about the engine in there currently on an internet forum, you should probably just go buy an old camaro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Just want something that makes more power right away I guess. Turbocharged four cylinders is fun but I feel like I would have to do alot and invest alot in order to get it up to a higher power and still keep it reliable. Not sure how extensive it is to get an LS motor mounted in there, but if I could do a swap and make around 350 NA I would be happy with that.

This is my first build, never dabbled in the car scene until now so any input motor and suspension wise would be appreciated. I do auto body but I am NO mechanic. haha.

Honestly if you have no idea what it would cost to do the swap then ill tell you. You could buy an ls1 camaro for less

Ha you'll need complete refabrication of the entire driveline, not to mention probably a lot of sheet metal/dashboard/interior work to get it all to fit, oh and a new transmission as well...new front axles. And the suspension would need work due to all the increased weight, as well as something to counter the massive understeer that would be caused by increased weight up front. You'll have to figure out the front axles/knuckles since they will no longer be connected to the transmission. Plus your brakes are way too inadequate as is on the current engine. You'll need a lot more stopping power for more horses and weight...you're looking at more money than what the car is worth.

Bottom line is...if you wanted a V8, you bought the wrong car.

How about you start with a downpipe and a protune? I bet you'll be happy.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Ha you'll need complete refabrication of the entire driveline, not to mention probably a lot of sheet metal/dashboard/interior work to get it all to fit, oh and a new transmission as well...new front axles. And the suspension would need work due to all the increased weight, as well as something to counter the massive understeer that would be caused by increased weight up front. You'll have to figure out the front axles/knuckles since they will no longer be connected to the transmission. Plus your brakes are way too inadequate as is on the current engine. You'll need a lot more stopping power for more horses and weight...you're looking at more money than what the car is worth.

Bottom line is...if you wanted a V8, you bought the wrong car.

How about you start with a downpipe and a protune? I bet you'll be happy.
    All of this
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bunch View Post
    Just want something that makes more power right away I guess. Turbocharged four cylinders is fun but I feel like I would have to do alot and invest alot in order to get it up to a higher power and still keep it reliable. Not sure how extensive it is to get an LS motor mounted in there, but if I could do a swap and make around 350 NA I would be happy with that.
    Serious question.

Why did you buy a WRX?
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Not sure why you're looking to hop ships motor-wise.

Those v8's use push knobs, older than internal kombucha engines.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bunch View Post

Why not just buy a Corvette then? That would be a lot easier. .

What's the point in buying a wrx to throw another 10k at it just for a motor. What's the point in buying any 4 cylinder car just to put a corvette engine in it
    Just buy a corvette at that point
    Stinkeye member 520

Is this for real? That would be an insane project when you could do so many things instead like buy another car or do sensible mods to yours
    fear is the mind killer

I Support ClubWRX
    An LS swap on these is unheard of for a good reason. If you are asking the questions you are asking then an LS swap is going to be WAYYYY out of your physical capabilities range. Read Mikie's post. An LS swap on these probably costs more than you can sell the car for. If you wanted an LS then you should have bought an old camaro or corvette to put a built one it. So to reiterate MichaelwFox's post, why did you buy a WRX?

We aren't trying to be ****s or anything but this is probably the lease efficient platform to do an LS swap on outside of an 18 wheeler...
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Tuned buy Turn in Concepts
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

I have an 06 wrx with lots of horsepower and a limited edition 4 speed trans...asking about 10k for it. Let me know.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.