2008 WRX.... Can i get what i want out of this turbo?

This is a discussion on 2008 WRX.... Can i get what i want out of this turbo? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; so i am new to subaru, coming from a GM background. I have an 08 wrx with 60,000 miles and ...

2008 WRX.... Can i get what i want out of this turbo?

so i am new to subaru, coming from a GM background. I have an 08 wrx with 60,000 miles and i picked it up for 14,500 from a local subaru dealer, a deal i couldn't pass up seeing as how i am a new dad lol. I just want to do a down pipe with a cat, a car back, intake and e85. e85 is everywhere in michigan and i used it in my cobalt and trans am, i think the stuff is great. so with the e85 ill need injectors, 1000 if my research is correct, and an access port so i can pro tune. i was going to go to p and l in chicago for my tune. question is with the stock turbo TD04 on an 08, what can i really expect? the car really has no top end, well to me anyway.... any ideas are much appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

On the 08's TD04... basically nothing... It's the black sheep of the WRX family so to speak... definitely upgrade to a bigger turbo, even if it's the stocker off an 09+

if i do go with the stock on from an 09+, TD05 i believe, is that a direct bolt on? or do i need to do an intercooler upgrade or anything else. this car is just my daily driver, i just want a little more, but I'm over trying to be the fastest guy in town.

VF52 I'm sorry, they are on ebay, new or rebuilt for about 600$

Does it bolt directly to the intercooler? I also don't think you need a bigger intercooler. The only thing you'd need is a tune as far as I know
    Stinkeye member 520

the stock turbs on the 08 is under-rated. calling it the 'black sheep'. cmon it may not be as big and fast as the 09+, but it still the same turbo used on all previous wrx. if tuned right with all the correct equipment, you could be pushing an easy 22 lbs of boost.