Exhaust question
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Exhaust question within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I love the sound of the namless axel back muffler delete (for sound) But I want to go stage 2 ...

Exhaust question

I love the sound of the namless axel back muffler delete (for sound)
    But I want to go stage 2 and I am looking at the cobb catted dp

Question is can i run. Cobb dp-stock mid pipe- nameless axelback

Pro/cons and is this something that would even work long term

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    You should be able to but I beleve the stock exhaust is somewhere between 2-2.5in rather then say 3 all the way. Also its not stainless so you know how bad the weather is up there with lake-effect snow which means salt.This over time can take it tole (over time) on the stock midpipe.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Just FYI my wrx is as you are describing marl, aside from brand. My car is grimmspeed fully divorced catted 3in downpipe to stock midpipe via 3to2.5 adaptor to nameless axleback in the same fashion. Using the adaptors makes smooth and easy as pie. Sounds awesome. It certainly works in both the short and long term. This allowed me to get the specific parts I wanted instead of a whole turbo back. I can think of many things I'd rather spend money on than a midpipe - at least until all my other plans are complete.
    fear is the mind killer

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Marl's Rex View Post
    I love the sound of the namless axel back muffler delete (for sound)
    But I want to go stage 2 and I am looking at the cobb catted dp

Question is can i run. Cobb dp-stock mid pipe- nameless axelback

Pro/cons and is this something that would even work long term
    You absolutely can. It will work long term. There are probably no cons to doing it. The only thing you may need is an adapter do go between your stock midpipe and your aftermarket downpipe. The only thing that makes the difference in terms of tuning is the downpipe as that is where your stock O2 sensor is. Anything past the O2 sensor (downpipe) makes no difference what you do to it.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

No cons when you're at basic stage 2 levels. If you start adding more power say with turbo upgrades or E85 and protunes and all that, the 2.5in sections could become a restriction.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Cobb is one of the few DP's that mates up to the stock mid pipe without an adapter, and Namelss axle backs bolt straight up to the other side of the stock mid pipe. So yes, what you have pieced together is perfect compatibility wise.

Quote Originally Posted by D's WRX View Post
    Cobb is one of the few DP's that mates up to the stock mid pipe without an adapter, and Namelss axle backs bolt straight up to the other side of the stock mid pipe. So yes, what you have pieced together is perfect compatibility wise.
    Awsome thank you. Only question for then would be is.. I am in line to do pretty much every mod you have down the road plus an EWG!!(already have done interior and exterior in similiar terms). Would haveing that set up be "out grown" down then road once mods are added?

As in would the stock mid pipe ever cause a Noticeable difference or drawback

I have only heard that when going past stage 2 you potentially could see a restriction in the 2.5" stock mide pipe. I don't have any hard data or personal experience though, that's just what I read on here and other forums and was told by my tuner. I would say for the cost initially, go with the nameless and see if you like the sound before spending thousands on a cat back (like I did). The other benefit is you can easily put stock mufflers back on if you grow tired of it.

Quote Originally Posted by D's WRX View Post
    I have only heard that when going past stage 2 you potentially could see a restriction in the 2.5" stock mide pipe. I don't have any hard data or personal experience though, that's just what I read on here and other forums and was told by my tuner. I would say for the cost initially, go with the nameless and see if you like the sound before spending thousands on a cat back (like I did). The other benefit is you can easily put stock mufflers back on if you grow tired of it.
    Yes and no. There is nothing wrong with doing things the way you are. And they will work just fine. However, I would suggest as of now, to steer away from the cobb DP if you plan on going to much further with performance mods. The cobb downpipe tapers down to a 2.5 inch exhaust where it mates up to the cat-back so that it will work with a stock or SPT cat-back system, which does restrict the exhaust flow. Will it matter, or hold you back power wise at "stage 2", or even "stage 3" mods? No, not really. But If I were you, I would invest in a invidia catted downpipe. They are excellent DP's and are a true 3 inch all the way to where it mates up with the cat-back, and is cheaper than the cobb dp too. IMO, I would also recommend not keeping the stock 2.5 inch midpipe, because in the future, you will have to replace it with a 3 inch anyway as you progress down your performance mod path. Best bet is to spend the little bit extra dough on a true 3 inch DP, and a complete 3 inch catback now, and save yourself from the headache later.
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread

And Ill totally agree with this but also say hey check out the grimmspeed downpipe too. It's fully divorced which in theory is great. Little pricey but I love it. Can't go wrong with any of the good name brands though as long as you stay true 3 in so that down the road it's easy to go full 3 in all the way back.
    fear is the mind killer

Thank for the input everyone. More and more i think about it im leaning toward getting a TBE

Anyone have any reviews on the newer nameless tbe with there "crazy" Divorced design

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.