DP question

This is a discussion on DP question within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So, I'm eventually going to change my DP. I live in Maryland. I know all about emissions, etc. Since high ...

Talking DP question

So,
    I'm eventually going to change my DP. I live in Maryland. I know all about emissions, etc.
    Since high flow catalytic converters are not legal, then what the hell is the different between it and going catless? What, for the fact it has "something"? If a catless MD vehicle passes via ECU, then why spend the extra boat-load of $ on a high flow cat?
    IDK, just doesn't make sense to me.

Input welcome.
    Purchased 7/17/13: 2013 WRX Limited- satin pearl white: short throw shifter, Perrin cat-back, and some other stuff. ;-)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Part of emmisions in some states require it pass a "visual" test as well. No cat,no pass regardless of what the sniffer/obdII test.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    For starters, catless will require a custom tune (either e-tune or pro-tune), as the off the shelf maps are not designed for catless (for your year car anyway). Catless is much worse for the environment (if you care about that kinda stuff). Catless is more prone to boost creep (not relevant if you have an external waste gate set up). There are good arguments to go catless, but those are the major arguments for a high flow cat.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Part of emmisions in some states require it pass a "visual" test as well. No cat,no pass regardless of what the sniffer/obdII test.
    OP that ^

Anyhow, If it is a visual inspection then they just look for a cat, if you have one then you pass. They won't know if it's high flow or not by just looking at them. If they see one then you get a big fat checkmark! Now if they actually do emissions testing, then I'm not sure what to tell you there.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

I Support ClubWRX
    If you don't want to spend that much money look for a used or CNT catted DP
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Thanks all.
    Purchased 7/17/13: 2013 WRX Limited- satin pearl white: short throw shifter, Perrin cat-back, and some other stuff. ;-)

Smell.
    Catless stinks. I've grown to love it.... kinda like Stockholm Syndrome. You'll grow to love the stink as well.

Lol I can smell the difference even between my grimmspeed catted dp and stock. I chose catted because the ultra guru tuning shop in my area basically said for 08+ in an often cold environment you should just really go catted for reducing boost creep chances
    fear is the mind killer

Even in warmer temps the GR get boost creep with catless
    Stinkeye member 520

Yeah especially if you have an intake. The tuners advice was basically, if catless without ewg or ported wastegate, you're gonna get boost creep. I think the extra change on a downpipe is better to pay now than all the money it would take to put in an ewg up pipe, or have something go boom.
    fear is the mind killer