Starting Fresh, What Should I Do?!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Starting Fresh, What Should I Do?! within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, I bought a 2014 WRX wagon in December of last year and have been waiting until I have ...

Starting Fresh, What Should I Do?!

Hey guys, I bought a 2014 WRX wagon in December of last year and have been waiting until I have the cash to do some mods but I've never owned a Subaru in the past so I don't really know where to start. I won't be able to do everything at once unfortunately but I've heard some people say to get a Cobb access port before doing anything else and I've heard some say to do that last..... very lost,lol. Eventually I would like to do the access port, up pipe, down pipe, cat back, lower it about an inch, and an intake (which I've also been told not to do for some reason). My end goal is to have a mean sound and at least moderate gain in performance. Any help would be amazingly awesome! Thanks guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by USMCelement View Post
    Hey guys, I bought a 2014 WRX wagon in December of last year and have been waiting until I have the cash to do some mods but I've never owned a Subaru in the past so I don't really know where to start. I won't be able to do everything at once unfortunately but I've heard some people say to get a Cobb access port before doing anything else and I've heard some say to do that last..... very lost,lol. Eventually I would like to do the access port, up pipe, down pipe, cat back, lower it about an inch, and an intake (which I've also been told not to do for some reason). My end goal is to have a mean sound and at least moderate gain in performance. Any help would be amazingly awesome! Thanks guys!
    You don't need an up pipe. I'd not do an intake.

Before buying any parts decide whether you want to use the accessport for sure. If you do, then read the map notes from the maker on their site. Only buy and install parts listed specifically in the map notes.

Firstly though follow the link in my signature.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

There's been a report or two of the intakes causing some issues. I saw somewhere saying it caused the car to run lean (don't remember if properly tuned for though) and maybe some boost creep with the tune. The stock intake is good for about 300hp so it's more of a waste of money anyway unless you want a different intake sound

First thing I'd recommend and is cheaper is a throttle body to Intercooler silicone hoses the stock ones are crap
    Stinkeye member 520

Read the links in SD's sig as he suggests.

Yes it's great to mod and do your own thing to your car, but with as finicky as these cars are, they respond very differently to bolt ons and require a lot of ECU tuning to run correctly.

Having an AP allows you to have a tuning option (though off the shelf) for small popular mods such as an Intake and Downpipe. But you need to follow the map notes so that you purchase and install correct parts that the maps are compatible with. You can pick up the AP and flash Stage 1, which is only the tune itself and see nice driveability improvements with a bit more power. But you can't run an intake or Downpipe without having a correct tune for them, otherwise you risk damage to your engine. You could always go Open Source or protune instead of an AP, but that's another story that requires a lot more than I feel like typing right now.

Uppipe is pointless on these cars unless you're getting to more indepth modding, which you're not. Whomever said not to do an intake is a moron. Its not a source of a huge gain, but it sounds good and can provide a little extra when you're getting into Stage 2 levels and are properly tuned for it.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Pretty much any performance (power) mods will require tuning. Whether you want to use an AP to do that, or go a different route is up to you. Just remember, anything dealing with the intake or downpipe, factor in an extra $500 for tuning.

Like SD said, uppipe isn't going to do much for you.. more trouble than it's worth really. You can get the sound you want from a catback exhaust, which won't need to be tuned for. My suggestion is to find local Subaru people in your area and figure out which catback you like the sound of the most. Everyone has different taste, and listening in person is really the only way to get a good idea of what they sound like.

You will see gains from an intake (with tuning), but dollar for dollar, if you're after more power your money would be better spent on a downpipe and a tune. No reason you can't do both, but if you get an intake that isn't supported in the Cobb OTS maps, be prepared to pay another $500 on top of the cost of the AP to get a real tune.. which would be better all around than running an OTS map anyways.

I have to add on top of the intakes. A few companies claim they do not require tuning but as finicky as these cars are do you really want to take that risk?
    Stinkeye member 520

Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    I have to add on top of the intakes. A few companies claim they do not require tuning but as finicky as these cars are do you really want to take that risk?
    ^Truf.

Stay away from garbage parts like Megan Racing, Godspeed, Raceland, ISC, etc.

Stick with known quality parts such as Cobb, Invidia, Perrin, APS, AEM, etc.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Thanks guys! I'll keep you posted on progress, I appreciate all of the input!

The intake question pops up alot here for our cars. The big thing is the tune. On your body style, the 11-14's, you must tune for it. And I have heard, correct me if im wrong, that an intake at stage 2 levels will actually see some hp gains on the newer generation wrx's.
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread

The Guy On The Couch TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    You do gain a little power from stage2 intake with tune. I have the Cobb SF, my buddy has the AEM.
    I have a protune and a Cobb tuner, data logging is a must but the stage2 is a quality gain in overall power and performance. So I would consider starting with a Cobb acessport tuner. That was my first mod, and I was happy for a while, then I went stage2.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you can store custom maps on the accessport as well so when you get protuned...need to switch parts around bam you can switch back and forth accordingly...I think
    Stinkeye member 520

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you can store custom maps on the accessport as well so when you get protuned...need to switch parts around bam you can switch back and forth accordingly...I think
    this is correct
    2013 WRX sedan - MODS = pretty much every bolt on besides a bigger turbo.

The Guy On The Couch TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Yes. I have 2 pro tuned maps as well as the Cobb of the shelf maps.
    OTS is ok, but protune is specific to your car and mods.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.