Considering buying this car. Opinions...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Considering buying this car. Opinions... within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have been looking for a wrx to build for a while now just for a fun weekend car and ...

Considering buying this car. Opinions...

I have been looking for a wrx to build for a while now just for a fun weekend car and found one that is already built. But my question is do I trust the motor to hold up on this car. It would be quite a bit easier on my pocket to buy this one than build one similar. The car is an 2002 with 109000 miles on it. Here is the description....

The car is now running a pro tuned Cobb access port V3 using speed density. There is 20 k invested into it. Motor has about 20,000 miles on it.

Engine:
    2.5 sti semi closed deck block
    Cosworth main bearings
    Cosworth rod bearings
    ARP main bolts
    ARP rod bolts
    Sti forged steel crank
    Scat forged steel rods
    Ross racing custom forged pistons
    Ross racing forged steel wrist pins
    Ross racing rings
    Sti oil pickup
    08 sti oil pump
    Grimmspeed racing thermostat
    Sti JDM twin scroll oil pan
    WRX 2.0 heads ported & polished
    Cosworth head gaskets
    ARP head studs
    Super tech racing valve seals
    Crower titanium retainers
    Crower race valve springs
    Crower 272in/272 ex camshafts
    TGV deletes
    Ported intake manifold
    Ported throttle body
    Perrin fuel rails
    Deatschwerks 1000 cc injectors
    AEM fuel pressure regulator
    Walboro 225lph fuel pump
    Custom 3" inter cooler piping
    Blo-thru MAF
    Ported stock exhaust manifold
    Custom 65 mm up pipe
    Custom 3" down pipe
    Tial 38 mm waste gate external dump 14.7 psi spring
    Garrett T3 .78 ar 60-1 turbo p trim wheel
    Custom short ram intake

Suspension:
    Tein HA coilovers
    Front 7K Spring/ rear 6K spring
    Tein camber plates
    Sti JDM rear tower brace
    APR front tower brace
    JDM sti front lower control arms

Brakes:
    Slotted rotors
    Hawks pads
    DOT 5 fluid

Wheels:
    Rota action 17s
    BFG T/A 245/40

Exterior:
    Carbon wrapped front lip
    Aftermarket tail lights

Misc:
    APEX /'L turbo timer
    Auto meter column gauge pod
    Auto meter vac - 45 psi boost gauge
    Innovative wideband 02 set up

What are your opinions on this build and would you trust it? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The Guy On The Couch TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    You kind of have to take this with a grain of salt.
    The list looks solid, but why would someone sell it after all that work? You want to ask a lot of questions why are you selling it? Do you have service records? Are there receipts for tune or explanation of how it's tuned?
    Were data logs done to check and monitor tune?
    You should also bring it to someone you trust and have it looked over.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

He says earlier in the post that he lost his job so he needs to get rid of it. I agree that all of those questions need to be asked. I'm also curious what is done with the transmission because I don't think stock would hold up to that. I haven't talked to the guy yet, I wanted to come and get some opinions on it to see if it's worth my time or find another.

All that work, and no mention of tranny or clutch upgrades?
    How much are they asking?

$9000

hmm.. if youre buying it as a "toy" maybe not so bad.. but expect things to break. your OP makes it sound like you are willing to put work into it if need be. if your looking for a DD, deff a no go IMO

check out the stickies in the car purchasing forum. valuable info there.

Car Purchasing Forum

oh, and work on that price

What are the main things I would need to worry about breaking? I understand if I am full throttle everywhere it's not going to last very long but with decent driving how long would you expect this motor and drive terrain to last? Also would you dare take a car like this on few hundred mile drives and not have to worry?

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I would be worried about everything breaking on that car.. he shouldn't be having to make any payments, so what would losing his job have to do with selling it? Unless the engine needs to be replaced and he just can't afford it (which it probably does). Every mod is an additional potential point of failure.. so I would expect that car to need some sort of serious work on a monthly basis. I wouldn't count on it for reliable transportation, and I wouldn't expect a built engine to last more than 60k at the most. 30k is a more reasonable life span, that is if it survives past the first couple thousand miles (which many do not).

That's the answer I was looking for. I wasn't sure how long a motor like this would stay healthy for. I will just keep playing the waiting game for a much less built car for the right price to come along.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I mean.. it could be okay, but the chances are slim. Most people don't spend a ton of money on a build just to turn around and sell it for a huge loss.. that is, unless there's something majorly wrong with it. And even when builds like this go right (in my experience a rare occasion), it's still not going to be reliable.. it's a toy car, weekend warrior type thing at that point. You should expect a lot of maintenance/tinkering required just to keep it running right.

I would be most concerned with who did the work and the tune on it.. though it does bode well that he says the engine has 20k miles on it now. If that's true (and if it doesn't consume too much oil) then the assembly and everything is probably good. But even so, after 20k miles on my built block with CP pistons there was enough wear on the block and pistons that both had to be trashed because it couldn't be put back together and get the correct piston to wall clearance anymore. Forged pistons wear down and oval out the cylinder walls much quicker than cast pistons.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.