Blown Engine - What to Replace With?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Blown Engine - What to Replace With? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My engine blew up on Sunday with severe rod knock. I probably need to make a decision by tomorrow on ...

Blown Engine - What to Replace With?

My engine blew up on Sunday with severe rod knock. I probably need to make a decision by tomorrow on what to repair and/or upgrade. It's an EJ205 with STi uppipe, TXS downpipe, and AccessPort 2.0 OTS stage 2 map.

If I do anything other than replace with stock EJ205 and TD04, what do you recommend for more low end torque and no more lag? If Subaru made an STi wagon for sale today, I'd dip into my retirement or go into debt for it. But all I can really afford is to replace the motor and turbo (rebuild v. replace?) and maybe spend a little on power upgrade.

Thanks to Brian H (former owner and mod here and NASIOC) for pulling over on his bike and helping diagnose when I was pulled over in the mountains on the way to Winter Park.
    Last edited by WTypeRogerX; 09-04-2014 at 12:56 PM.
    2005 World Rally Blue WRX Sportwagon
    Biatch totalled my 2002 WRB WRX Sportwagon
    I miss my bugeye.
    Image is nothing, performance is everything. All your rice be ownz by us.
    If you're not going to spend your money on women or alcohol, you might as well spend it on cars.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    You really have two options for more low end torque and no more lag. Build a 2.1L stroker using your existing case halves, or put together a hybrid engine with ej255/ej257 case halves.. 2.1L would probably be the least expensive route to take.

I Support ClubWRX
    You ran into BrianH, eh? Hope he's doing well.

Consider carefully why exactly your existing engine failed. I keep coming back to this point. Find out. Don't spend lots of time and money only to repeat the same experience. See what happened first, make sure it doesn't happen again, and then select something MainFrame said above.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Consider carefully why exactly your existing engine failed. I keep coming back to this point. Find out. Don't spend lots of time and money only to repeat the same experience. See what happened first, make sure it doesn't happen again..

That is definitely crucial.. all too often you see people replace an engine, only to have the same things happen to the new one. Also, any time you depart from a pre-assembled OEM block, the machine work and assembly is key. There are some quirks about Subaru engines that not all builders know. Someone with a good, long standing reputation in the Subaru community should do the work.. otherwise you should just pick up a new block already assembled from Subaru and not upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    You really have two options for more low end torque and no more lag. Build a 2.1L stroker using your existing case halves, or put together a hybrid engine with ej255/ej257 case halves.. 2.1L would probably be the least expensive route to take.
    2.5 hybrid is probably too expensive.

2.1 stroker, I'm waiting for a quote. Another option is 2.1 with 16G. Would it be ok to keep the TD04 with a 2.1 stroker?

New EJ205 with 16G is another option, also waiting for quote.

New EJ205 with new or rebuilt TD04 is the cheapest and keeps me the same.

The car is at the dealer now. It was the original engine with ONLY 66,500 miles so I wouldn't be repeating anything except by rebuilding with EJ07 and TD04. Really surprised it failed since I only had stage 2 with OTS map and hadn't road raced it in 4 years (only 2 sessions at that, no auto-x and no 1/4 mile) and and don't drive it like I stole it very often. So I have the choice of paying $900 for dealer tear down (my favorite master mechanic that handles moded Subies), or having an independent shop do it (included in cost of rebuild). The main indy shop I'm considering has a mechanic well respected in the community with lots of experience in everything from STi swaps into GCs, etc. and installed my uppipe and turboback in '07.
    Last edited by WTypeRogerX; 09-04-2014 at 12:57 PM.
    I miss my bugeye.
    If you're not going to spend your money on women or alcohol, you might as well spend it on cars.

I hardly see how a new ej207 would be less expensive than building a hybrid engine using your existing parts.

As far as 16g vs. td04.. what do you mean by "keep up with"? A 16g is considerably larger than a td04. I would expect the td04 to out spool a 16g by 1000rpm. If you're talking about how fast the car would be, a 16g would produce a good deal more power, especially in the top end.. but that's a far departure from your "no more lag" criteria.

I hardly see how a new ej207 would be less expensive than building a hybrid engine using your existing parts.

As far as 16g vs. td04.. what do you mean by "keep up with"? A 16g is considerably larger than a td04. I would expect the td04 to out spool a 16g by 1000rpm. If you're talking about how fast the car would be, a 16g would produce a good deal more power, especially in the top end.. but that's a far departure from your "no more lag" criteria.

I don't know what's up with my typing. EJ205 (stock 05 WRX 2.0 engine!), not EJ07. Powertrain is stock except for STi uppipe, TXS turboback, and AP2 OTS map.

So 16G is going to introduce noticeable lag with EJ205?
    I miss my bugeye.

Quote Originally Posted by WTypeRogerX View Post
    I don't know what's up with my typing. EJ205 (stock 05 WRX 2.0 engine!), not EJ07. Powertrain is stock except for STi uppipe, TXS turboback, and AP2 OTS map.

So 16G is going to introduce noticeable lag with EJ205?

Most definitely. And don't forget you would need a new fuel pump, injectors, TMIC, and a tune to be able to safely run a 16g. That's going to run you about $1500, plus the cost of the turbo itself (which should be around $900-$1000). I wouldn't expect a 16g to hit boost until after 4000rpm on the 2L.

Most definitely. And don't forget you would need a new fuel pump, injectors, TMIC, and a tune to be able to safely run a 16g. That's going to run you about $1500, plus the cost of the turbo itself (which should be around $900-$1000). I wouldn't expect a 16g to hit boost until after 4000rpm on the 2L.
    Tear down revealed #4 rod bearing failed (the service adviser couldn't say if it spun or not). TD04 is also beginning to bind, so will be replaced. Oil cooler also needs to be replaced.

The independent shop that I trust can't get me in for 2 weeks and didn't get quotes back to me, and based on yours' and others' advice, cost, and not wanting to add lag, I decided to stay stock on the rebuild with the dealer shop I trust. It's too late to upgrade turbos, but out of curiosity, would a VF22 introduce significant lag, and would it require other expensive parts as with the 16G? Also, how much does a new TD04 cost (for comparison sake with 16G and VF22).
    I miss my bugeye.

Quote Originally Posted by WTypeRogerX View Post
    It's too late to upgrade turbos, but out of curiosity, would a VF22 introduce significant lag, and would it require other expensive parts as with the 16G?

Any larger turbo would increase lag, and all turbo upgrades will require new injectors, fuel pump, and tune. An upgraded intercooler isn't absolutely necessary (you can run the car with no intercooler if you want), but it will be needed to maximize gains. A vf22 should be the slowest spooling vf turbo.. I would expect spool to be on par with a small 16g, give or take 50rpm.

few thing you need to do FOR SURE, its what i did, hybrid is best option for torque, but want to uprgrade oil pump, oil pickup, oil pan and all the feul and oil supply!!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.