02 WRX and 2 Check Engine Lights
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 02 WRX and 2 Check Engine Lights within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So after driving on the highway for about an hour I got a code that disappeared with time, a p1131. ...

02 WRX and 2 Check Engine Lights

So after driving on the highway for about an hour I got a code that disappeared with time, a p1131. Recently I got a new code p0420 and the p1131. I called the dealership and asked about fixing it and they suggested going with a new Cadillac converter and an O2 sensor. So my question is, since I already own a catless up pipe and down pipe, would it be better to have them installed over a new Cadillac converter. I know a shop that does work on subaru who quoted me about 400 for the up pipe and down pipe install so the cost of going aftermarket is 400 plus 650 for the AP and 100 for the 02 sensor, or is it better to just go with what the dealership recommends, or is it that the problem is something completely different. My WRX is completely stock other than an 05 engine (ej20) and turbo combo, and the car has 147000 miles on it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Was the car properly tuned for the up pipe and down pipe? Usually shouldn't have a cat efficiency code if so I thought
    Stinkeye member 520

Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    Was the car properly tuned for the up pipe and down pipe? Usually shouldn't have a cat efficiency code if so I thought
    That's the thing the up pipe and downpipe are completely stock at the moment and I've only heard of people having these codes after swapping to aftermarket downpipe and uppipe. The aftermarket pipes have never been installed and I was wondering if swapping the stock pipes which are installed on car to the aftermarket wwould fix these codes or if they won't have an effect. If I do install them I plan on getting an AP to properly tune them which I assume would be stage 1.

Maybe the o2 sensor is bad. And since you already have catless pipes the cat efficiency code is pointless to worry about. O2 sensors go out from time to time.
    Which route do you want to go? If you want the build and power from the up and downpipes I'd ask the tuner what they recommend. You shouldn't get the p0420 after the pipes installed and if the other code is o2 sensor replacing that if needed depending on if it's the front or rear sensor. If it's the he rear I think it depends on if the downpipe has the bungs. Either way the tuner will have the answers you need as well.
    The dealer will tell you what is needed if you're trying to stay stock so again, if you're getting the pipes installed it'd be a waste of money to go to the dealer too
    Stinkeye member 520

No tune is needed for an up-pipe mod and it is highly recommended to do put a catless uppipe on an 02-03. The material come out of the cat sometimes and jumps in the turbo. Bad joo-joo.

You will need a tune for a downpipe.

Search around here and NASIOC for those codes. I've seen a few threads on the P0420. Maybe in the maintenance/troubleshooting section?
    N.E.R.D. # 3.579545 MHz

Bugeye Mafia v 2.0 # 371

pete25r's build

I Support ClubWRX
    The 2002 won't need a tune for a down pipe.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    The 2002 won't need a tune for a down pipe.
    02-03 don't need a tune for that? I thought it was recommended to tune (zero out) the closed to open loop fueling transition/time?

I know the later models need a tune for a downpipe.
    N.E.R.D. # 3.579545 MHz

Bugeye Mafia v 2.0 # 371

pete25r's build

I Support ClubWRX
    Bugeye cars generally don't (I specify headlights since a non-US 03 is a blobeye). The owner may see more output with a better map but it won't be a must, whereas a blob eye will probably need one.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

i had some similar issues.. it might be the tune, or the O2 sensor? it you have access try just putting on a different sensor to see if it is that, also they are ripping you off, i know shops that will do it for half that price, what state are you in?? also you really NEED to get a catless up pipe, it helps performance and other stuff, but you would probably want to get you tune checked out also, which is beneficial either way, you can get better gas mileage and prob a little more power if you just do a tune. Its like 250$

I have a grimspeed up pipe, and a nvidia down-pipe (both catless) , i ended up finding an accesport for 300 and im ordering a new o2 sensor from the dealer. I figure ill end up trying to replace both the down-pipe and up-pipe myself especially since i might need to go back to stock to pass emissions. The shop is located in Pittsburgh but I'm currently living in Rochester ny and don't no of any good local shops to take my car too other than the dealer. Hopefully the new o2 sensor fixes the problem because i figure ill have enough cels after everythings been replaced.

are you guys that are referencing the year missing the fact that it has a 05 engine? does it also use the 05 ECU?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BlacktimusCrime View Post
    are you guys that are referencing the year missing the fact that it has a 05 engine? does it also use the 05 ECU?
    Since the OP stated "completely stock except 05 engine" I answered based on an 02 ECU. If it has an 05 ECU I'd treat the car as an 05 and remap for a down pipe. Thank you.

You may run into a problem, does you up pipe have a heat sensor if yes you probably won't be able to change the up pipe, if not then you prob could. Also those two sound like a lt better things to do, and if I were you I would tune it, it would help overall!!

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Thank you.
    dang it. I need to pay more attention. Thanks for the clarification/wake up. Been one of them days.
    N.E.R.D. # 3.579545 MHz

Bugeye Mafia v 2.0 # 371

pete25r's build

05' powerplant uppipe is already catless, yes?
    Go protune instead of AP being you are going catless DP.
    "99% of it is what you make of it. So if your life sucks, YOU suck"-Suicidal Tendencies
    DirtTrackDigest.com-Your Dirt Motorsports connection!
    Proud member of The Bugeye Mafia #175
    & Sonic Yellow Fanatic Coalition #7
    See my Bugeye here

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.