Stage2
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Stage2 within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi! Im looking to find out how long and how well has your stage2 setup performed? How many miles since ...

The Guy On The Couch TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

Stage2

Hi!
    Im looking to find out how long and how well has your stage2 setup performed?
    How many miles since the stage2 upgrade?
    What seems to be the average life of stage2 tuned engines?
    How does your car perform?
    I'm gathering peoples thought and experiences with your stage2
    Any input is welcome (constructive please) thoughts and opinions.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TownLine500 View Post
    Hi!
    Im looking to find out how long and how well has your stage2 setup performed?
    I went stage 2 at about 27k miles, performance is great!
    How many miles since the stage2 upgrade?
    I have about 7-8k miles on my car now since I have went stage 2, no issues as of yet
    What seems to be the average life of stage2 tuned engines?
    This all depends on you! stage 2 is considered to be reasonably safe. Be sure if you are using an OTS map to do plenty of data logs and make sure your car took to the tune and everything is running within the parameters is should. If you do that and get map revisions as needed, there is no reason it shouldnt last a long time.
    How does your car perform?
    Car runs amazing, powerband is much smoother and lasts longer. I'm tuned at stage 2 at 18.5psi and have seen peaks in the upper 19's. Amazing is really the only word that comes to mind over stock!
    I'm gathering peoples thought and experiences with your stage2
    Any input is welcome (constructive please) thoughts and opinions.
    Good luck when you decide to go stage 2! It is worth it as the power really goes up after the downpipe and tune. Do your research!
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread

I Support ClubWRX
    I already have a stage2 tune. I'm looking for how long people have ran there set up for?
    In terms of time and miles. How reliable has your car been?
    I'm looking for opinions just like WRX-maniac has provided (Thanks for quick response)
    Any constructive info would be appreciated.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx

I Support ClubWRX
    Take everything commented here with a huge grain of salt. There are multiple environmental factors that weigh more heavily on an engine's lifespan than just saying, "I went Stage II, runs fine".

In my opinion, questions like this are pretty useless, since there are so many variables to consider. I can say that my specific setup worked great for my car, but if you copied what I did, who knows how well it would work? Also, nobody here can tell you how long a Stage II engine will last. If you're redlining the car from every stoplight, obviously that's going to have a more significant impact on lifespan than a conservatively-tuned car driven carefully.

With that preface, here's my answer with as much detail as I can muster:
    Car: 2003 WRX. Installed hardware and tune at 95k miles

Hardware: Cobb catted downpipe, factory midpipe, STI axleback. Grimmspeed catless uppipe. AEM wideband O2 sensor installed in downpipe bung. Custom Stage II tune.

Reliability: The car ran fine until it was totalled. I have datalogs proving the engine was responding very well to the added power, with no red flags on the later map revisions. Credit to WTF Tuning for a very solid and well-balanced base map to start from.

Notes: The car was well-maintained and all stock when I bought it. No previous engine/drivetrain abuse that would expose itself under added strain. The car was fully serviced to factory specs before doing any modifications.

The car was a joy to drive. Matt and I focused on smooth power delivery, not peak horsepower. I have no idea what the dyno numbers would have been, and I honestly don't care. I only used the car for commuting, and didn't drive it like an asshat, so I have no reason to think it wouldn't have lasted for many years to come.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Take everything commented here with a huge grain of salt. There are multiple environmental factors that weigh more heavily on an engine's lifespan than just saying, "I went Stage II, runs fine".

In my opinion, questions like this are pretty useless, since there are so many variables to consider. I can say that my specific setup worked great for my car, but if you copied what I did, who knows how well it would work? Also, nobody here can tell you how long a Stage II engine will last. If you're redlining the car from every stoplight, obviously that's going to have a more significant impact on lifespan than a conservatively-tuned car driven carefully.
    /\ This.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I ran an Access ECU stage 2 tune on my bugeye for about 70k miles, never had a problem with it.. other than the tune being ridiculously rich. Performance felt like it was how the car should have come from the factory.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    I ran an Access ECU stage 2 tune on my bugeye for about 70k miles, never had a problem with it.. other than the tune being ridiculously rich. Performance felt like it was how the car should have come from the factory.
    Thanks guys.
    This is exactly what I was looking for. How peoples cars are set up, and the longevity of the engine. I don't race my car or drive it hard, I just play around sometimes. Anyone else's input or insight would also be helpful. Come stage2 people lets hear your experiences and story's.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx

Same...every Stage 2 is just that bit different...OTS Stage 2 tunes are a good bump in performance, yet are generic enough that they can be used on most cars without issue.

In theory you should be perfectly fine with it as long as you don't beat the piss out of your car, and obviously as long as the tune is reputable (such as in the case of a protune).
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.