Upgrading Turbo - What do?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Upgrading Turbo - What do? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So to elaborate on my title "what do?" I have a few questions that I need answering. I've searched Google ...

Upgrading Turbo - What do?

So to elaborate on my title "what do?" I have a few questions that I need answering. I've searched Google for a bit now and seem to be searching in circles, finding contradicting answers and even possibly ignorant ones as well. So that brings me to here.

So to be blunt, I am planning on upgrading the turbo on my 2004 WRX.

My current mods are -
    Stage 2 Cobb OTS Map (AP v3)
    100% Catless, 3 inch Turboback
    Catless Up pipe
    Cobb Short Ram SF Intake
    Walbro 255Lh Fuel Pump
    Turbo inlet Hose
    Stock BPV

Now I already know that I'll need bigger injectors and a better intercooler. My questions are more geared to mods related to the turbo itself.

I am looking at an EWG (external waste gate) and an EBCS (Electronic Boost Control Solenoid).

I'm leaning towards the 18g turbo be am still looking at some of the cheaper VF turbos. Haven't decided yet.

So besides a tune, what will I need for the EWG and EBCS to work for my set up? Obviously a new up pipe with a cut out for the EWG.

Would an EBCS be beneficial for a WRX with an upgraded turbo?

Here are all the parts I'm considering:
    COBB Tuning 3-Port Boost Control Solenoid Subaru WRX / STI 2002-2007 / Forester XT 2004-2008 712750 at RallySportDirect.com
    Blouch TD05H-18GXT Billet Turbo 8cm^2 Subaru Models (inc. 2002-2007 WRX / 2004-2015 STI) TD05H-18GXT8CM^2 at RallySportDirect.com
    Tial MV-S Wastegate 38mm Blue w/ All Springs MVSB at RallySportDirect.com
    GrimmSpeed 38/40mm V-Band External Wastegate Uppipe Subaru Models (inc. 2002-2014 WRX / 2004-2015 STI) 059001 at RallySportDirect.com
    DeatschWerks Fuel Injectors Top Feed 650cc Subaru Models (inc. 2002-2014 WRX / 2007-2015 STI) 21S-01-0650-4 at RallySportDirect.com
    And then a better intercooler... Still haven't decided which.

But i think this is as far as I want to take this WRX... I just want to make sure it has everything it needs. Thanks for the help in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

So the list is golden? Nothing I should know about before going in?

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I would go with ID1000cc injectors.. other than that, it should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    I would go with ID1000cc injectors.. other than that, it should be fine.
    Why? Can you explain a bit more why I'd need 1000cc's?

I have 650cc with my 18g
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

How does it run? What numbers did you make @ what psi? Are the 650cc too small?

Nothing wrong with 1000. I prefer those simply because it leaves some room for future mods you may want. Especially if you want to do e85 conversion
    Stinkeye member 520

ID1000s are the most preferred injector to tune with. It's not necessarily that 650cc won't be enough, obviously 1000cc injectors will leave you with more head room. I just absolutely would NOT use DontWerkz used injectors, whatever the case. They're junk. If you have an aversion to 1000cc injectors for whatever reason, then you would be fine using ID725s.

Okay, yeah I've read this on multiple threads already. That the ID1000s are nice injectors. But judging by your "DontWerkz" claim, I'm assuming Deatschwerkz are junk?

So would these be suitable?
    Injector Dynamics Fuel Injectors Top Feed 1000cc Subaru Models (inc. 2002-2014 WRX / 2007-2015 STI) 1000.48.11.WRX.4 at RallySportDirect.com

I'm now reading about a PnP adapter kit for the injectors? Can anyone explain this to me?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterNBG View Post
    I'm now reading about a PnP adapter kit for the injectors? Can anyone explain this to me?
    The ID 1000cc injectors do not use a Denso type connector to fit Subaru.

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Inje...USCAR-to-Denso
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by MisterNBG View Post
    Okay, yeah I've read this on multiple threads already. That the ID1000s are nice injectors. But judging by your "DontWerkz" claim, I'm assuming Deatschwerkz are junk?

So would these be suitable?
    Injector Dynamics Fuel Injectors Top Feed 1000cc Subaru Models (inc. 2002-2014 WRX / 2007-2015 STI) 1000.48.11.WRX.4 at RallySportDirect.com

Some of the DW injectors work, some do not. They're used cores, so it's hit or miss. My issue isn't so much with their poor quality control, but with their lack of customer service, and the fact that the take returned non-functional injectors and send them right out to the next sucker knowing damn well they don't work. I spent two years struggling to get a working set of DW1300s from them which they refused to give me a refund for. Out of the four sets of 1300s they sent me none of them had four working injectors to a set. They kept insisting on sending me replacement sets, which would never work (and would take them several months to process my return each time, stating they were backed up from all the returns they were constantly getting).. finally I raised enough hell for them to refund my money. Then they took 14 months after receiving the last set of ****ty injectors to actually send me the money. During that time period I personally knew five other people running the same injectors, and every one of them had catastrophic injector failure. Two of them blew $12k race motors due to the injectors sticking shut.

Those ID1000s you linked should work great.. although you can get them cheaper elsewhere.
    Last edited by MainFrame; 08-25-2014 at 10:54 AM.

The Guy On The Couch TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Yikes! I dis not realize how poorly constructed Deatshc Works were so poor quality. I'm looking into the ID1000..
    Or ID 850cc.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

DeatschWerks doesn't make injectors, they take old injectors and modify them. Most people don't seem to have too many issues with the lower flow rate ones (<1000cc).. but their horrible service and knowing that they continue to push sales for injectors they already know don't work is enough for me to never deal with them again.

Injector Dynamics on the other hand, stands behind their products 100%. They do a lot of research, development, and testing in house before releasing an injector to the public. A couple years ago ID had a line of 1600cc injectors which ONE person was having issues with. They worked with the customer to figure out what was going wrong. Turned out, when the injectors were subjected to extremely high fuel temperatures the flow rates changed too much. ID then sent out notice to all customers who had purchased the injectors offering full refund, and they immediately pulled the 1600cc injectors from the shelves.. meanwhile, DW is still peddling their 1300cc injectors to the unsuspecting public. Injectors which are universally known not to work.

Damn Dude... I'm not even going to have a DeatschWerks product open in my browswer let alone near my car with that rep. I'll shell out the extra bucks for ID1000s then.

I guess my main concern is... Why 1000ccs? I have a 2004 WRX, in my opinion, the turbo I was looking at is a little overkill (for me at least) I'm only hoping to get around 300whp. Do I really need those injectors? I don't plan on E85 or anything past my whp goal. If I want more, I'll do an STi swap or motor rebuild for ease of mind. But for now, it just seems that those injectors aren't necessary for my goals. Then again I'm not 100% sure of all the ups and downs to smaller injectors.

I don't want the injectors to be my power 'bottleneck' but I also don't want to pay for bigger injectors I'll never need, ya dig?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.