filled up with 88 gas

This is a discussion on filled up with 88 gas within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; when idling at a light on the way home i kind of heard a thumping or maybe even a knocking. ...

filled up with 88 gas

when idling at a light on the way home i kind of heard a thumping or maybe even a knocking. what should I do at this point? granted vehicle was kept below 3.5k rpm

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Run down the tank of gas while staying out of boost. Put at least 91 in next time and all other times.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Run down the tank of gas while staying out of boost. Put at least 91 in next time and all other times.
    THIS. It even says on the gas door to run premium fuel only. (i.e. 91 or 93 octane) If you have never owned a vehicle like this then you should have read the manual which also very clearly states what fuel to use. The ONLY time I would run anything lower than 93 (what im tuned for) is if it was an emergency situation where i needed gas and there was no 93 around. In that case, put in the highest octane available there, and just enough to make it to the next gas station where they have the fuel you need, and as 11blackSTi said, stay out of boost while running it.
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread

got it. thanks.. I had someone else put the gas for me and I told them 91 or higher and when I looked at the receipt later on I saw that it was 88.

Bill Freakin Murray TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    As funny as this may sound. Pump your own fuel wherever possible, that way you are always sure what grade the gas is. Unless you live in Oregon where I've heard pumping your own gas is illegal.
    And if you do go to full serve station, watch the attendant to make sure they are using 91 or 93 octane.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

Correct, we are not allowed to pump our own gas, though most attendants allow me to with my bike. I ALWAYS watch them to make sure they use premium, often wonder though how careful they are when removing the nozzle. I go to the same station, they all know my car so I can only trust... FWIW, I would not even let my wife take my car to get it filled!
    Drive like hell, you will get there faster!

Warranty friendly mods for now-
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ml#post3579257

Toss in a bottle or two of octane booster, it may help some while continuing to stay out of boost.
    '02 Midnight Black Pearl WRX wagon, 5-speed 207k miles
    factory short throw, triple gauge pod, premium sound
    Mishimoto radiator, drilled and slotted rotors

If the car is stock, it will run done on 88, if tuned, follow advice above and stay out of booth until you can run dow n the fuel and fill up with proper fuel