Stage 2 Build Component Recommendation, please advise
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Stage 2 Build Component Recommendation, please advise within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I got a quote for a Stage 2 build on my 2015 STI. I'm trying to decide if the full ...

Stage 2 Build Component Recommendation, please advise

I got a quote for a Stage 2 build on my 2015 STI. I'm trying to decide if the full exhaust is necessary, because I have gotten different opinions from 2 tuners, and also from researching here and NASIOC. Since it's the 2015, there isn't as much research yet regarding my questions, and gain estimates are very...unreliable. I think I read all the helpful suggestion threads here.

Here's what the shop recommended:
    Accessport
    Cobb Intake
    Grimmspeed electronic boost control
    Invidia Catless Downpipe 3inch
    Perrin exhaust

It will be dyno tuned afterward.

1. Is the full exhaust necessary? It's another $1200 that I would rather not spend if all it will do is give more noise. I'd rather spend the money elsewhere. The Catless downpipe on its own should make plenty of loud.
    2. No fuel pump upgrade?
    3. Anything else to suggest?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Not sure if you are on IWSTi, but lots of folks there have tuned, and you could get some quick feedback, sans the Nasioc attitude of some. Of course we all have our own opinions, but I believe that forum could definately assist. Good luck man, and start a build thread!
    Drive like hell, you will get there faster!

Warranty friendly mods for now-
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ml#post3579257

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by joeypants View Post
    I got a quote for a Stage 2 build on my 2015 STI. I'm trying to decide if the full exhaust is necessary, because I have gotten different opinions from 2 tuners, and also from researching here and NASIOC. Since it's the 2015, there isn't as much research yet regarding my questions, and gain estimates are very...unreliable. I think I read all the helpful suggestion threads here.

Accessport
    Cobb Intake
    Perrin exhaust

1. Is the full exhaust necessary? It's another $1200 that I would rather not spend if all it will do is give more noise. I'd rather spend the money elsewhere. The Catless downpipe on its own should make plenty of loud.
    2. No fuel pump upgrade?

So for starters power gains actually can be very accurately estimated as the 2015 STi still has the same block in it as it did in previous years. So you would see similar gains to a 2014 or 2013 STi at your basic stage two.

Now in terms of the mods, my first question is what are your goals? Do you plan on staying at this level of a tune for quite a while or do you plan to build bigger and better in the near future? If the answer to that question is "No, I do not plan on building any more to the engine for a while" than an electronic boost control solenoid is not necessary at all.

Second is the cat back exhaust. No it is not at all necessary, it's just a noise maker and if you want it to sound really good then by all means buy the exhaust. But It will not change anything to only get the downpipe and not the cat back. Keep in mind, a cat back exhaust is a mod that does not need to be tuned for. This means that at any point in the future you decide you want a louder exhaust, all you'll need to do is buy whatever you want and slap it on. No tune necessary.

At this low of a modding stage a fuel pump is not necessary. Now this is my opinion. Some will tell you to get a fuel pump for precautionary measures and it is a great building block for future mods. The reason for that is some stage two protunes push the limits of the stock fuel pump. I am on a stage 2 protune with an intake and full turbo back exhaust and that is all. No fuel pump, no EBCS or anything else and all is well. This one is entirely up to you though. However, at this point it will not help or hinder anything in terms of your plans.

Otherwise, I really have nothing to suggest. Unless of course, you are planning to go bigger and better in the very near future.

EDIT: I forgot to add this, In most cases it is pretty wise to follow the advice of the person that will actually be tuning your car. Because in the end, it is them that will be making the ROM changes. We are just here to help and advise in the best way possible.
    Last edited by McBill; 08-19-2014 at 06:07 AM.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

Well that's a lot of great advice. I was not thinking of going any further because I think the next stages will open me up to more maintenance and monitoring and I am not knowledgeable about engines.
    I doubt I would ever change the turbo. With my last WRX I did catback exhaust and accessport only, but I was more limited by money at the time.
    The shop insisted on the boost controller because right now the cobb maps are not ideal. That makes sense since they released the accessport, then stopped selling it, and now started selling it again. For a $38,000 investment I would prefer it gets properly tuned on a dyno.
    I was all ready to say no full exhaust needed, and then your edit is bringing back the doubt.

I Support ClubWRX
    Well that's a lot of great advice. I was not thinking of going any further because I think the next stages will open me up to more maintenance and monitoring and I am not knowledgeable about engines.
    I doubt I would ever change the turbo. With my last WRX I did catback exhaust and accessport only, but I was more limited by money at the time.
    The shop insisted on the boost controller because right now the cobb maps are not ideal. That makes sense since they released the accessport, then stopped selling it, and now started selling it again. For a $38,000 investment I would prefer it gets properly tuned on a dyno.
    I was all ready to say no full exhaust needed, and then your edit is bringing back the doubt.
    Honestly though, the cat back makes absolutely no difference to the tuner. You can talk to him about it too, ask him if it's necessary or not. Let me also add that I don't blame you for not wanting an OTS map from Cobb. With that said, even without an EBCS, a protune will give you much better gains than that of a OTS map and in the end is much better. So you're on the right track.

Talk to your tuner about why he want's you to go with an EBCS as opposed to keeping the stock one. If he gives you a legitimate reason as to why he thinks having an aftermarket EBCS is better than the stock one than I think it would be wise to follow his advice.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

I Support ClubWRX

Accessport
    Cobb Intake
    Perrin exhaust

2. No fuel pump upgrade?

The full exhaust is not necessary. Just an FYI that the CBE can be had for less than $1200 if you do decide to get it (contact some of the vendors on here and you would be surprised how much you can save). That is full on retail prices you are quoting. No need to upgrade the fuel pump, as you won't see any benefits of a higher flowing fuel pump with the stock fuel injectors. EBCS is not necessary, but the tuner might be more comfortable working with the GS unit as opposed to the stock one. One thing to be careful of with a catless down pipe is the fact that you could see boost creep. This is a mechanical issue that cannot be tuned out...the best way to avoid it would be to have an external waste gate set up (catted downpipes are much less prone to present boost creep too). But you don't know if you will have boost creep for sure until you have it. If you are sure you won't be going past stage 2 for the near future, and you aren't hung up on having an aftermarket catback, then forego that and look into braking/handling/bushing upgrades. The shifter bushings, some mounts (like pitch stop, engine mounts, transmission mount, steering rack, rear diff bushings are all good), and most certainly a better quality tire will be far superior "performance" upgrades.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.