Cobb down pipe
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Cobb down pipe within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Purchased Cobb down pipe, one suggested by rally sport direct, same time I purchased Invidia N1 catback exhaust. Exhaust has ...

Cobb down pipe

Purchased Cobb down pipe, one suggested by rally sport direct, same time I purchased Invidia N1 catback exhaust. Exhaust has been installed
    Haven't done any other mods yet, but will be putting top mount inter cooler and cold air intake soon.
    Question is.....any disadvantage to installing down pipe on car now? Any advantage?

Thank you in advance

2014 DGM WRX premium sedan

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Not sure the advantages or disadvantages but make sure you tune it before you install the dp if you haven't already.

Quote Originally Posted by fireguy220 View Post
    Not sure the advantages or disadvantages but make sure you tune it before you install the dp if you haven't already.
    Yeah been on line with rs direct. Accessport or pro tune?
    Thinking should go with pro tune

I'd go with an Cobb ap v3 easy functionality and very user friendly. I'm not to sure about the pro tune though.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Run amok View Post
    Purchased Cobb down pipe, one suggested by rally sport direct, same time I purchased Invidia N1 catback exhaust. Exhaust has been installed
    Haven't done any other mods yet, but will be putting top mount inter cooler and cold air intake soon.
    Question is.....any disadvantage to installing down pipe on car now? Any advantage?

Thank you in advance

2014 DGM WRX premium sedan
    There is a disadvantage to installing the DP now. That is that it would be very bad for your car, as you have no way of tuning for it. Your car needs a tuning solution, whether that be a cobb access port, or a tactrix cable. You will need one or the other regardless of if you use off the shelf tunes, or get a pro-tune/e-tune. The tactrix is cheaper, and you can do open source tuning using the cable (you need a laptop too). The AP is a handheld easily used device, that is convenient, and doubles as a gauge. I would suggest researching both and deciding what route you want to go. To be honest, a pro tune at this point is not really worth the money unless you want to stop at stage 2, which in that case, the pro-tune is the way to go. A pro-tune is always better than an off the shelf map as it is designed specifically for your car. But if you are planning on further mods, which is sounds like you are, then I would recommend waiting until you get at a point where you "outgrow" the off the shelf maps, and at that point get the pro-tune.

Regardless of which tuning route you go (I mean cobb AP or tactrix/opensource), you should perform data-logging to ensure your tune or "Map" is functioning the way it should. There are people here that can help you look at that.

Downpipe and tune need to be at the same time. Also get a cobb or aem intake if your going the AP route because those are the only intake's that work with the AP maps.

The Guy On The Couch TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I personally use a Cobb AP. I have the ots maps and 2 custom protune maps. It is great to be able to datalog tune and act as a gauge. It's also small and ultra portable vs laptop. I do a good amount of data logging and monitoring to make sure my car is happy. I've had 2 WRXs and 2 Cobb tuners, I've had great experiences with them and I'll continue to use them. Just my 2cents.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

Quote Originally Posted by TownLine500 View Post
    I personally use a Cobb AP. I have the ots maps and 2 custom protune maps. It is great to be able to datalog tune and act as a gauge. It's also small and ultra portable vs laptop. I do a good amount of data logging and monitoring to make sure my car is happy. I've had 2 WRXs and 2 Cobb tuners, I've had great experiences with them and I'll continue to use them. Just my 2cents.
    Thanks all. Sounds like I might want to do Accessport and after done all mods maybe pro tune. Appreciate all input

you're not driving around on the stock tune with a full turboback are you?!
    2013 wrx sedan(saving up for a 2015 STI)

Previous faist cars: '05 Mustang GT '02 RSX-S, '91 SR20 240sx, '85 300zx turbo

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.