Cobb AP Stage 1 + Cobb intake Vs Cobb AP Stage 2 + Cobb downpipe (stock air intake)
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Cobb AP Stage 1 + Cobb intake Vs Cobb AP Stage 2 + Cobb downpipe (stock air intake) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just like the post title says I am trying to decide between the two options: Cobb AP Stage 1 + ...

Cobb AP Stage 1 + Cobb intake Vs Cobb AP Stage 2 + Cobb downpipe (stock air intake)

Just like the post title says I am trying to decide between the two options: Cobb AP Stage 1 + Cobb intake is $900. To go stage 2 with the stock intake would be $650 for AP and $600 for Cobbs downpipe, so $1250. The price difference is somewhat significant but does anyone know how the performance would differ between my options and has anyone had this same decision to make?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have the SPT cat back exhaust installed currently I forgot to mention

I Support ClubWRX
    Hi there Jboulay!!!

Welcome to the forum!!!

While I am relatively still a newb...I have learned a lot and my knowledge grows little by little.

I went from completely stock to Stage 2 with the COBB AP V3 and the associated OTS Stage 2 map.

That being said, I obviously cant give you the answer for the comparison question you are asking. However, since you are considering the AP and either the intake or the downpipe...I would recommend you pass on the intake and get yourself a catted downpipe. Of course...you CAN get a catless downpipe...but you may encounter boost issues with that setup. Don't quote me though. I also have no idea what kind of car you have. year? model? any other mods?

I absolutely LOVE stage 2. I am sure I would have liked Stage 1 as well..but stage 2 sounds and feels great!!! Like a whole new car.

The stock air intake can supply your engine with what it needs until you are making serious amounts of whp. (like 400whp or less). If you plan on making more than that, consider the intake. I bought the intake for the sound...but really...I could have saved the money on the intake.

In addition, which cat back you got makes little to no difference. With a high flow catted (or catless if you wish) downpipe...your boxer will rumble just about any two (or one if you wish) cans you put on back there. SPT, Invidia, COBB, Nameless etc. Its all about a good quality downpipe, the right tune and a pair of mufflers that make your ears happy.

Personally, I bought a COBB Catted Downpipe with an Invidia N1 Street muffler dual exit. The ONLY thing I would have changed is the downpipe. COBB downpipes have a taper to 2.5". That is a bit sucky!!!

However, since you are running an SPT catback already, I believe a COBB Catted downpipe will fit your SPT catback just right. I think SPT Catback is a 2.5" system right?

Anyways...I am rambling on and on. Get the AP. Get a downpipe that you believe suits your needs best...and flash a Stage 2 Map that suits those parts...get the DAM to 1....and terrorize every mitsu or Honda you see FTW!!!!

Cheers,

Blammo
    2009 WRX Sedan running on TOYO Observe G-02 Plus 205/50-17 (snowy)
    COBB AP Stage 2 SF 91 LWG - Hella Supertones - Kartboy ST Shifter - Kartboy Front and Rear Endlinks - COBB Catted DP - Invidia N1 Street Ti Duals - COBB Turbo Heat Shield - COBB SF Air Intake w/ Box - Morimoto TSX-R HID Retrofit w/LED Halo - DEFI Racer Red 52mm Gauges(A-pillar) - Exedy Stage 1 Clutch w/ Exedy Lightweight Flywheel - Killer B Oil Pick-Up w/ Baffle - Perrin Transmission Mount - BC Racing BR Series Coilovers

The Guy On The Couch TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Jboulay View Post
    Just like the post title says I am trying to decide between the two options: Cobb AP Stage 1 + Cobb intake is $900. To go stage 2 with the stock intake would be $650 for AP and $600 for Cobbs downpipe, so $1250. The price difference is somewhat significant but does anyone know how the performance would differ between my options and has anyone had this same decision to make?
    Hi?
    I went that route at first. Stage2 is a big upgrade over stage1. You can run the stage2 maps with just the downpipe, I would recommend the Cobb SF intake especially if you have AP tuner. Like Blammo said get a catted downpipe, you don't want issues there. You can go to custom exhaust shop and have them cut off the tapered part and splice weld it together. It will sound nice with your SPT exhaust. I have the Invidia N1 catback and Cobb catted downpipe. Plus doing a DP first gives you a lot of options. You can keep building car up from there.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd go stage 2. I went stage 1 before stage 2 and it is no comparison. The intake can add gains at stage 2 on a GR, so it is a worthwhile mod down the road, but the DP and tune will make a bigger difference. For what it is worth, you can go stage 2 for much cheaper if you get a tactrix cable and use an open source tune. I do like the AP, so if you do go that route, at least contact a vendor on here (WTF Tuning, or Fasttuningproducts are one's I use often), and see if they can give you a deal. Typically they will give you a better deal than you can find online.

Thank you guys, it seems like you all agree that jumping toStage 2 is the best bang for the buck. Gonna check out some vendors and see if I can get the AP and downpipe cheaper than Cobbs website. Btw my I have a 14' wrx

Quote Originally Posted by TownLine500 View Post
    Hi?
    I went that route at first. Stage2 is a big upgrade over stage1. You can run the stage2 maps with just the downpipe, I would recommend the Cobb SF intake especially if you have AP tuner. Like Blammo said get a catted downpipe, you don't want issues there. You can go to custom exhaust shop and have them cut off the tapered part and splice weld it together. It will sound nice with your SPT exhaust. I have the Invidia N1 catback and Cobb catted downpipe. Plus doing a DP first gives you a lot of options. You can keep building car up from there.
    I was planning on installing the DP myself. Do I have to do any welding? I thought I can just bolt it on

Cobb AP Stage 1 + Cobb intake Vs Cobb AP Stage 2 + Cobb downpipe (stock air i...

Yea it bolts on I did mine in the garage if your using the oem heat shield you'll have to cut it to make it fit and be sure to line up the dp with the hanger bolt tab on the right side of the dp if not it will make a thumping noise when you turn and gets annoying

The Guy On The Couch TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Jboulay View Post
    I was planning on installing the DP myself. Do I have to do any welding? I thought I can just bolt it on
    You only need to weld if you cut off the 2.5 taper.
    I didn't like it so I cut it off and made a 3 inch adapter.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

Keep in mind that you don't necessarily have to have a Cobb downpipe. They are at the higher end of the spectrum of prices...when they all do pretty much the same thing.

Look to Invidia or something like that if you want to save some coin. Also look used...that's a GREAT way to save a chunk of dough (search forum classifieds!).
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

**update**
    AP v3 and Cobb Downpipe ordered last night!!!
    2014 WRB WRX
    SPT Catback Exhaust, Cobb Shift Knob, AP v3 and Cobb Downpipe ordered and on the way

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.