Addition pre tune suggestions?

This is a discussion on Addition pre tune suggestions? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey fellas, its been a long while since Ive been active on here, from what ive seen a few of ...

Addition pre tune suggestions?

Hey fellas, its been a long while since Ive been active on here, from what ive seen a few of the people I saw a lot of are gone

Anyways, I am in the process of jumping from stage 2 (cobb sf intake with box, invidia catted dp, invidia q300 and ap) on my 2013 WRX, to a more robust stage 3. On order/waiting to be installed are;
    Perrin turbo inlet
    Grimmspeed Ebcs
    Process West tmic
    Tomei equal length headers
    DW65 fuel pump
    ID1000 injectors
    Grimmspeed AOS

I have recently done my 30k tune up about 550 miles ago, and have had a leak down test done. I will be aiming at low 300s on pump (crappy acn91) and around 370ish on e85. What Im wondering is, is there anything else that you guys suggest doing or getting first before im tuned? Any small things im forgetting that are prone to fail or make life just that much easier that people often overlook?

My tune date should be around last week of August at 5150 racing by the infamous Jon Drenas.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

only thing I can think of is to upgrade your stock plastic BPV with an aftermarket one. Forge is the most common BPV out there and very nicely made. Other than that, looks like you are on the right track!
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread

Whoooops! Good looking out, and as a matter of fact, I currently have a forge bpv on my car. It totally slipped my mind. Thanks again!

I Support ClubWRX
    Look into some DEI "titanium" (LR) heat wrap for the headers and down pipe. Will help keeping under hood temps down and heat in the headers/down pipe.

Also, I know you are kind of looking for engine performance here, but do you have any mounts/bushings in your car? I would highly recommend it if you don't. Now that you will be putting out more power/torque they will make a huge difference (i.e. engine mounts, transmission mount, pitch stop, steering rack, diff bushings, etc).

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    It wouldn't be a bad time to switch to EWG..

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Look into some DEI "titanium" (LR) heat wrap for the headers and down pipe. Will help keeping under hood temps down and heat in the headers/down pipe.

Also, I know you are kind of looking for engine performance here, but do you have any mounts/bushings in your car? I would highly recommend it if you don't. Now that you will be putting out more power/torque they will make a huge difference (i.e. engine mounts, transmission mount, pitch stop, steering rack, diff bushings, etc).
    There is wrap that the headers come with, I do not know what its made out of but I will look into a better wrap, I also saw a turbo wrap how to by unibomber on nasioc I may try.
    And yeah I ordered a pitch stop, I should actually pick up motor mounts too. I have shift bushings, I did that the very first week I had my car actually. I do plan on ordering a trans mount also. I have never considered steering rack or any of the other bushings, but thanks for the suggestion and I will def research into them.

On that note, I have upgraded my brake lines to steel braided, but what else would anyone suggest safety wise? Rotor/pad brands? I really cant afford a bb kit or anything yet, I did like the stoptech upgrade though. Ill ask this in the proper thread.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    It wouldn't be a bad time to switch to EWG..
    I asked the tuner and they said that with a proper tune/ebcs I should be good. I do not have creep/overboost issues currently, but its a very good possibility ill run into something now. How do I know what size to get? Everyone I know gets the 44mm, but what is the difference between 38 and 44?

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Either size should work fine.. and EWG isn't just about preventing creep. It lowers back pressure on the turbine tremendously, allowing it to flow more air (greater top end) without having to sacrifice spool like you would going with a bigger turbine housing.

Most people think bigger turbo needs bigger wastegate, but that's not necessarily true. It has to do with the size of the turbo and the pressure levels you're wanting to run. For example, a vf39 and a 35r both running 21psi.. the size of the turbine and housing on the 35r wouldn't need to bypass as much exhaust gasses as the smaller vf turbo to keep the compressor speed at the desired level. Usually a bigger turbo won't need as large of a wastegate to run the same pressure as a smaller turbo.

38mm would be plenty big on your stock turbo, unless you're trying to run really high boost levels on an engine that moves a lot of air. Although I don't think 44mm would hurt anything either. They will sound differently though.. I believe the 38mm gate should be a little louder and harsher sounding than 44mm, since the gas is escaping the pipe at a higher velocity.