Little or no boost :/
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Little or no boost :/ within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok, bought a 2006 Subaru sti with a td06 turbo, and I cannot figure out why it won't boost. I'm ...

Question Little or no boost :/

Ok, bought a 2006 Subaru sti with a td06 turbo, and I cannot figure out why it won't boost. I'm extremely new to the Subaru scene, so go easy on me. I'll try to answer questions to the best of my knowledge.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well the first thing we need to know is what all is done to the car. The td06 is a 20G turbo, and has to have supporting mods to be used correctly. Mods done to the car should be something like this:

-Full exhaust
    -Bigger fuel pump
    -Bigger injectors
    -Probably a electronic boost control solenoid
    -Definately should have been protuned, if not the car is a ticking time bomb with that turbo if not properly tuned for.

So give us some history on the car and what you KNOW has been done to it. If you are unsure, post up pics of engine bay, under the car, behind the car, and find out what, if any, engine management is being used.
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread

Has full Godspeed exhaust not for sure About the fuel pump or injectors if I'm not mistaken the previous owner changed one or the other on the fuel pump or injectors. Not for sure about the electronic boost control solenoid and I'm pretty sure it was protuned, he just said it was tuned.

If it was JUST tuned then it should be building boost. Double check everything. At the very least you need to have a downpipe and should have an aftermarket manifold and uppipe. A 255lph fuel pump, and 850-1000cc injectors if running pump gas. Contact the previous owner. See if they can give you an exact list of what all has been done to the car. Also, get the name of the opposed shop that did the tune. Call them and ask them about the car. I doubt a good shop would let a car roll out that wasnt running properly. Unfortunatley, things like this happen all the time. Someone buys one of these cars, and mods it not knowing what in the heck they are doing. Realize the car is done for, and sell it before it blows up to make a buck. I wish you all the best and hopefully you arent another person that got ripped off. Follow the steps given, find out EVERYTHING you can about the car. Then report your findings back to us.
    Stink-Eye Mob #301

Well, it was my cousin that I bought it from and he said that he spent over 30k modding it, I'll see if I can't get some pictures up, I do know it had some Megen racing headers on it but I had to replace them right after I got it, they were cracked pretty bad. I think it was a stock header that I put on it with an aftermarket up pipe. But not too for sure. He said it was boosting fine about 2-3 weeks before he sold it to me, then he went to drive it up to the bank and he said it wouldn't boost. I probably should have thought about it before I bought it, but we learn from our mistakes lol.

Well dont get to down in the dumps yet man. It could be something simple too. Such as a boost leak somewhere. That would prevent you from bulding boost. My suggestion to you is to stay out of boost until you get the car fixed. Good luck!
    Stink-Eye Mob #301

What's the best way to find a boost leak? Could the turbo of went out? Is there any warning sign for a turbo going bad or is it a spur of the moment thing?

Heres a link that explains how to perform a boost leak test.

HOW TO TEST A SUBARU by turboboostleaktesters.com
    Stink-Eye Mob #301

Ok thanks for the link man and I appreciate your help. I'll try to contact my cousin and get a more accurate list of what all he has done to the car tomorrow so hopefully we can figure something out this weekend.

No problem. I hope you get it straightened out. Something else to think about, if your cousin had an aftermarket manifold on when it was tuned, then you replaced it with a stock unit. It could potentially cause problems bc the car is tuned for the other manifold. Something to think about. If no boost leaks are found. Might need to be re-tuned.
    Stink-Eye Mob #301

Alright. Any suggestions on a decent manifold?

Invidia or tomei are great ones! But you need to find out if the one that was on there during the tune was a equal length or an unequal length. If you are going to buy a new one and get another tune, more power is to be had with an equal length manifold over an unequal.
    Stink-Eye Mob #301

Alright. Thank you very much

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407538111.729618.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	187.0 KB 
ID:	160505Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407538127.460513.jpg 
Size:	212.0 KB 
ID:	160513Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407538136.044600.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	187.2 KB 
ID:	160521Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407538156.362881.jpg 
Size:	227.6 KB 
ID:	160529Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407538168.447130.jpg 
Size:	199.7 KB 
ID:	160537Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407538176.396797.jpg 
Size:	227.7 KB 
ID:	160545Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407538183.916214.jpg 
Size:	192.7 KB 
ID:	160553

Here are some pictures. If you can think of anything else you want to see let me know and I'll do my best

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast