Process West TMIC install issues...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Process West TMIC install issues... within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So today I spent way too much time messing with my new PW TMIC. Some of the bolts you have ...

Process West TMIC install issues...

So today I spent way too much time messing with my new PW TMIC. Some of the bolts you have to remove are a giant pain in the back side. After fighting with it for awhile, I got it installed, or so I thought. The first round of testing it out the car was idling around 2k, which freaked me out a bit. When I would accelerate it felt normal without putting the pedal down, but when I attempted to boost the car started choking, kinda like it does when you hit redline and don't shift. Also, every time I would slow to a stop in first the RPMs would dip and the car would die. After I got home I realized the BPV wasn't tightened down all the way, so I fixed that small issue. The car does not die any more, and still drives fine under normal driving conditions, however it still will not boost properly. I was thinking maybe the turbo inlet house or the supplied gasket were loose, but they look to be on correctly. If anyone has some advice on what I should be looking at, I would seriously appreciate it!!!

I drive a 2013 WRX Sedan in case you need that information, also have the Cobb AP Stage 2+ OTS map, and no other engine modifications.

- Zach

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hmmmm, sounds like you have a boost leak somewhere not allowing you to build boost. Go around and check all of the connections you messed with, the hoses to the throttle body, the hose to the turbo. Triple check every connection you tampered with and make sure everything is tight and sealed up. If that doesnt fix it, the next thing to do would be a boost/vacuum leak test.
    Last edited by WRX-maniac; 08-07-2014 at 04:29 AM.
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by WRX-maniac View Post
    Hmmmm, sounds like you have a boost leak somewhere not allowing you to build boost. Go around and check all of the connections you messed with, the hoses to the throttle body, the host to the turbo. Triple check every connection you tampered with and make sure everything is tight and sealed up. If that doesnt fix it, the next thing to do would be a boost leak test.
    Right on, thanks for the tip. When the sun comes up I'll check all those connections again, hopefully that fixes it! Thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by Subie For Me View Post
    Right on, thanks for the tip. When the sun comes up I'll check all those connections again, hopefully that fixes it! Thanks for the tip!
    No problem! When I went stage 2 I removed the tmic to get easier access to the downpipe bolts/nuts. When I put the intercooler back on I forgot to tighten down one of the bolts on the flange going from the intercooler to the turbo. It was only a few centimeters of a gap but the boost leak was so bad that my car would spit and sputter and hesitate badly when trying to build boost. After going around and tightening everything and double checking everything, the problem was fixed. So my bet would be that is your issue. Good luck and let us know what you find!

Another thing to know is that to properly utilize your new intercooler and for it to work correctly, you will need a tune for it! Although not being tuned for the intercooler would not cause the issues you are having.
    Stink-Eye Mob #301

Also, here is a link to help you with a boost leak test. Some good info if you end up having to go that route.

HOW TO TEST A SUBARU by turboboostleaktesters.com
    Stink-Eye Mob #301

WRX-maniac, you may be the hero of the day! I checked out all the connections, and realized one of the hoses was not nearly as secure as I originally thought it was. I am hoping that will fix the issue. I did a few logs this morning before I attempted to fix it, I haven't looked at them yet but I did notice that the car would do the choking sputter at about 9lbs of boost.

In other news, I managed to drop not one, but TWO different small tools (a 10mm socket and a small flat head bit) into my engine bay, they never hit the ground, and I have absolutely no idea where they are sitting now. So I am kinda nervous to start the car up. Any tips on that? Should I just give the old magnet on a stick method a shot? lol

Thanks again for all your help! Its a real life (and bank account) saver!

Well, I decided to man up and drive down to the store to get a long magnet so I can find my lost tools. I assume they fell out on the way, because I could not find them to save my life.

In other news, the car now boosts like a champ again. So the hose connection was the issue there, however while I was driving I threw a CEL and the cruise control light started blinking. Obviously I'm kinda in panic mode at this point, since this is the only car we have at the moment. The AP code reader shows a PFFFE code, which is basically a general misfire code, but does not specify what component is misfiring. Everything I have read so far makes me think its the injectors, however I do not have access to a real code reader right now.

I think my next step is to put the stock intercooler back in, pray that it fixes the misfire/idle issues I'm having, order a few more parts (ie. Injectors, EBCS) and wait to install it until I can get into a tuner shop for a pro-tune.

Opinions? Advice? I'll be extremely grateful!

Hmmmmm...... Well I wouldnt be too worried YET. The accessport isnt the best for OBDII readings. Take the car somewhere or go get a real tool to scan the code and see what it really is. If you must drive it, stay out of boost and be very easy on it. A few things you might want to do, first off do a compression test. Just to be sure that the cylinders are healthy. It could also be the tune. Adding the intercooler without a tune shouldnt cause a misfire. It just merely isnt being utilized with a tune for it. So it the tune could be the issue here causing your car to run lean/rich and causing misfires. If i were you...... I would start with a compression test, report back with the numbers and I can tell you if they look good or not for your car. If the compression checks out, look into a different map. The cobb maps have been known to wipe out motors before. Some cars just dont take well to their OTS maps. If this is the case, try Torqued Performance. He is very good, its only 80 bucks for the map, and you can send him back datalogs for him to make fine adjustments for free. Hope this helps!
    Last edited by WRX-maniac; 08-07-2014 at 10:25 PM.
    Stink-Eye Mob #301

I Support ClubWRX
    I second the Torqued Performance map. Eric is extremely fast to reply with a new revision after you send him logs. I think they are better than the cobb maps because they are tuned to your personal altitude/car/etc. Just remember that he is going to be out of the office from August 14th to August 19th so adjust accordingly!
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium

Torqued Performance Stage 2, Invidia Catless Divorced Wastegate Downpipe, Perrin Heat Shield, Cobb Knob, Kartboy Short Shifter, Kartboy Front & Rear Shifter Bushings, STRi 52mm Amber Boost Gauge, SMY ClusterMaker Pod, Subaru OEM Black WRX Ornaments

That's good to hear! Everything I have heard about TP has been good, and as far as OTS maps go they seem to be a Subaru favorite. I'm just waiting for my EBCS to get here and I'm gonna install the TP Stage 3 map.

As far as the TMIC goes, I got the car back to normal, it turns out the vac line from the manifold to the bpv was pulled off the manifold causing the car to freak out, once I hooked that back up the entire car started doing better.

Quote Originally Posted by Subie For Me View Post
    I'm just waiting for my EBCS to get here and I'm gonna install the TP Stage 3 map.
    You better do your homework before you start running Stage 3 maps.
    I have the AP and research tells me that Stage 3 is turbo and injector upgrade map, which you listed you've done no mods.
    "99% of it is what you make of it. So if your life sucks, YOU suck"-Suicidal Tendencies
    DirtTrackDigest.com-Your Dirt Motorsports connection!
    Proud member of The Bugeye Mafia #175
    & Sonic Yellow Fanatic Coalition #7
    See my Bugeye here

Quote Originally Posted by DirtModJunkie View Post
    You better do your homework before you start running Stage 3 maps.
    I have the AP and research tells me that Stage 3 is turbo and injector upgrade map, which you listed you've done no mods.
    The "Stage 3" you are referring to is what Cobb lists on their website, correct? Because Cobb does not provide a Stage 3 OTS Map, in fact, I don't believe there is a "Stage 3" map from anyone that is recognized by the Subie community as a legit Stage 3. You are correct that Stage 3 is considered the bigger upgrades such as the turbo, but that sure as heck would not be an OTS tune, it would require a ProTune, same for injectors (which I just bought from WRX-maniac).

The map that I purchased is the Torqued Performance "Stage 3" map. The only difference between that and the cobb stage 2 is that Eric include the Grimmspeed EBCS and an upgraded intercooler in the tune, it does not cover things such as injectors or turbo upgrades, that again would require a custom tune. Thanks for being concerned for me though!

On another note, my car just gave me 2 new codes. P0037 and P0141, which both have to do with the rear O2 sensor. From what I have read, this often means the heating element of the O2 sensor has gone bad, or that it isn't plugged in correctly, however the sensor is useless in my case, right? Since the primary purpose of the rear O2 sensor is to monitor exhaust gasses for emissions testing type stuff? I have a catless DP, so obviously I couldn't pass an emissions test, luckily Hawaii has absolutely ZERO emissions standards. Don't be jealous though... They make up for it with a crazy safety inspection annually, and all sorts of crazy-ness to certify any suspension modifications that may have been done to a vehicle.

Sounds like the plans for your build have been researched and thought about according your post above. As for the 2 codes you got, they pop up alot for someone running a catless DP. If the o2 sensor is fine then your tuner should be able to delete those codes for you so that they stop popping up. And Im glad you got those injectors! They got there pretty quick considering they went from the east coast all the way to Hawaii!
    Stink-Eye Mob #301

Quote Originally Posted by WRX-maniac View Post
    Sounds like the plans for your build have been researched and thought about according your post above. As for the 2 codes you got, they pop up alot for someone running a catless DP. If the o2 sensor is fine then your tuner should be able to delete those codes for you so that they stop popping up. And Im glad you got those injectors! They got there pretty quick considering they went from the east coast all the way to Hawaii!
    Do you think that it would really matter if it was a bad O2? I could honestly just disconnect it, have the codes deleted and call it a day from what I understand, at least until I get stationed somewhere that requires emissions testing. I could be totally wrong though!

And yeah they sure did! They look great BTW, I appreciate how quick you were about getting them sent.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.