Intake Silencer Delete?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Intake Silencer Delete? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys. I have seen numerous pros and cons of deleting the intake silencer or "snorkus". Coming from N/A cars ...

Intake Silencer Delete?

Hey guys. I have seen numerous pros and cons of deleting the intake silencer or "snorkus". Coming from N/A cars my whole life I still absolutely love hearing my turbo spool, so this seemed like a very appealing mod for me, but when it comes to a 2003 with high miles, if bolts are required it is never really a easy mod, (breaking, rust, etc.) I have a catback system and a blow off valve, is the delete really worth my time or would getting an aftermarket intake do the same thing plus a little performance? I know theres a lot about them all over but i wanted to ask about my specific setup. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I've avoided the snorkus delete... it always seemed like a pointless mod to me. A cold air intake (CAI) has the same effect (increased spool-up noise). You should know that the stock intakes on these cars are actually really good. As far as HP gains - you won't really see anything with a CAI... and most intakes need to be tuned for (the Cobb SF being a notable exception).

As a side note - most around here would advise that you ditch that BOV for a stock or aftermarket BPV.
    2002 OBP WRX - Stage II - "Black Betty"
    1987 Subaru GL Wagon - Stock - "Mr. Ratburn" - SOLD

Agreed about the BOV. Runs you rich a bit (not sure how damaging) but to each their own
    Stinkeye member 520

even the cobb sf cold air intake should be tuned for. That will be the easiest way to get what your looking for. i love the sound mine makes on my 13

Quote Originally Posted by Epictofer View Post
    even the cobb sf cold air intake should be tuned for. That will be the easiest way to get what your looking for. i love the sound mine makes on my 13

Quote Originally Posted by Epictofer View Post
    Cobb sf is not a cold air intake

this is the first sentance in the description on cobbs webpage.

This C.A.R.B. approved intake (2010+ pending) and integrated airbox looks great and has the combined benefits of a short ram intake and a cold air intake without any of the negatives.

E: So, yes it is essentially a cold air/ ram air intake

http://www.cobbtuning.com/Subaru-SF-...t-p/715300.htm

the delete is just a noise maker...same as an intake on the GD generation. You won't see any performance gains over the stock airbox until you're looking at higher horsepower builds.

So save money and do the delete...or get an intake.

FWIW...I had a Cobb SF, no box (and yes, its an SRI, not a CAI)...and I drowned my engine because of it. Totaled my 05 STI.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.