Questions regarding FMIC

This is a discussion on Questions regarding FMIC within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Okay, so today I was given a FMIC for 0... I know, VERY cheap. I was told it was a ...

Questions regarding FMIC

Okay, so today I was given a FMIC for $100... I know, VERY cheap. I was told it was a TurboXS, though the seller was unsure and so am I, still, it's in great shape for the price! Now whether or not I'm keeping this for my WRX (whenever I go bigger turbo) or reselling it, is irrelevant, for the price, I had to jump on it. My questions are more related to what I actually have here.

As you can see in the picture. I have the IC, the piping, the hoses and a smaller coolant reservoir. Now aside from hose clamps and mounting brackets for IC and the coolant reservoir, what am I missing?

I'm assuming I'll need an adapter for a stock BPV to mount to the intercooler piping. I see the hole for a BPV or BOV, but I don't see a way to mount one without some sort of adapter. Any knowledge on this?

My second question is in regard to what I'm assuming is a hose for the IC piping to Throttle body. The hose seems to be bigger on 1 end than the other. The weird part is that the hose on one end is only like 1/4" bigger than the other end. Can I just use a standard throttle body hose? (I believe they're 3" right?) The reason I'm asking is because this hose looks like **** and It's a hard rubber which I can predict will crack eventually. I'd prefer a silicone rubber similar to what the rest of the hoses are made out of. But I'm not sure if a standard Throttle body hose will work. Any input on this?

So those are my questions so far. Any input on what I have / need here would be appreciated!
    Last edited by MisterNBG; 08-05-2014 at 08:51 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Okay regarding the last bit with the rubber hose being smaller on one end than the other. TurboXS piping is 2.5" and the Throttle body is 3" So when I said 1/4", it's actually 1/2", Not far off right? lol. So I'll do what any sane person would do and replace that POS, old, crappy, rubber hose with a rubber silicone 2.5" to 3" adapter. They're extremely cheap and will be much more reliable than standard rubber!

Now with this, comes an additional question. Vacuum hoses which as you expected, didn't come with this IC.
    I guess my question is, what length and size hosing should I buy? I see on Rallysportdirect they have 3mm, 4mm, 5mm & 6mm x 3m vacuum hosing. I tried Googling this and see 6mm and 4mm being thrown around a lot. Anyone on here know for sure the size of the Vacuum hoses?

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    The flared ends on that pipe doesn't look like my old TurboXS FMIC pipe. A look inside the core might be able to tell if it's a real TurboXS core, or knock off.

For the BOV, there is a hose, that attaches to a flange, then the BOV is mounted to the flange.

I'm not sure what you need vacuum lines for, so it's hard to give a recommendation on that.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    I'm not sure what you need vacuum lines for, so it's hard to give a recommendation on that.
    Well now that I look inside the small hole on the IC piping (pictured above). It's actually threaded with a block off plate at the bottom??? So is it meant to be ... or.. wtf is it?

I guess I won't be needing vacuum hoses then... Unless I'll need a new one for the BPV. Does the OEM vacuum hose reach? is it worth upgrading?

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    That threaded hole pictured is for the mounting bracket to bolt into.. there should be a L bracket that attaches to the top of the intake manifold. Although I didn't have one originally.. picked one up from TurboXS.. and a month later it broke. Never replaced it.

I have an aftermarket vacuum hose for my BOV.. not sure if the stock one would fit or not. It would probably be close.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    I have an aftermarket vacuum hose for my BOV.. not sure if the stock one would fit or not. It would probably be close.
    I just asked a dude on RallySportDirect and he said just go with a 3mm. I figured I'd buy one just in case if I need a longer hose.

EDIT:
    The seller of this intercooler just gave me left over parts they had. It was nice of them to give them to me! All hose clamps, some sort of washer with bracket? and a plug thing?

Here's the plug thing. When I shake it, I can here a little ball or something in there and seems like there's a spring inside? Is thins for a vacuum line? or for the Reservoir? I'm a little confused on this.

Last but not least. Where can I find an adapter for the BPV? Or what's it actually called?

Looks like a cx racing intercooler if i had to guess. ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by silvercookie View Post
    Wouldn't be surprised, I had a feeling with that kind of price. Still looking for the adapter flange for the stock bpv to mount up to.

Would this work?
    02-07 WRX G4 Type H Kit - TurboXS

I would probably need a 90 degree 1.25" hose, hose clamps and possibly longer vacuum hoses.

I'm going for this setup, I'm just not sure if this is the right adapter or not.

Quote Originally Posted by silvercookie View Post
    Did some more looking around, it's not a CXracing intercooler, their's has different mounting points on the top and their pipes a slightly different.

I Support ClubWRX
    Wow man that is Great deal!!!
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium

Torqued Performance Stage 2, Invidia Catless Divorced Wastegate Downpipe, Perrin Heat Shield, Cobb Knob, Kartboy Short Shifter, Kartboy Front & Rear Shifter Bushings, STRi 52mm Amber Boost Gauge, SMY ClusterMaker Pod, Subaru OEM Black WRX Ornaments

So, you're running a 20G or bigger turbo?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    So, you're running a 20G or bigger turbo?
    I'm not installing it on my car, but if I plan on selling it, I want to make sure I have ALL the parts, ya dig?

Off topic though, I would like to get an 18G down the road...