Question regarding Downpipe and SPT Exhaust (2013 WRX)

This is a discussion on Question regarding Downpipe and SPT Exhaust (2013 WRX) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I just ordered my Nvidia Catless Downpipe for my 2013 WRX with SPT Catback Exhaust. I'm finding conflicting answers ...

I Support ClubWRX

Question regarding Downpipe and SPT Exhaust (2013 WRX)

So I just ordered my Nvidia Catless Downpipe for my 2013 WRX with SPT Catback Exhaust. I'm finding conflicting answers on this, but do I need an adapter to connect the downpipe to the SPT exhaust? Some say yes, some say no. Can I use the gasket supplied with the downpipe or do I need an adapter? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I don't own an Invidia downpipe, but I have an SPT catback. It's intended to mate to a stock-type 2.5" downpipe with a donut gasket, so I'm pretty sure that you'd need the 3" to stock adapter.

Or a 3" catback.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
    I don't own an Invidia downpipe, but I have an SPT catback. It's intended to mate to a stock-type 2.5" downpipe with a donut gasket, so I'm pretty sure that you'd need the 3" to stock adapter.

Or a 3" catback.
    All of this is correct. you will NEED to adapt the catback to the downpipe. I recently installed a turbo back and needed to adapt as well...but reverse. I have a 2.5" downpipe adapted to Invidia N1 3" catback.

I will say though, catless systems on our cars will most likely give you boost creeping issues. I am not saying for sure..but watch your logs and boost pressures.

The adapter I ended up getting was by Grimmspeed. There may be others but the grimmspeeds are popular. RSD website among others has them readily available.

Enjoy the stage 2!!
    - Nav Mittal

2009 WRX Sedan running on CONTINENTAL ExtremeContact DW 225/45-17
    COBB AP Stage 2 SF 93+ - Hella Supertones - Kartboy ST Shifter - Kartboy Front and Rear Endlinks - COBB Catted DP - Invidia N1 Street Ti Duals - COBB Turbo Heat Shield - COBB SF Air Intake w/ Box - Morimoto TSX-R HID Retrofit w/LED Halo - DEFI Racer Red 52mm Gauges(A-pillar)

Bill Freakin Murray TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Blammo View Post
    All of this is correct. you will NEED to adapt the catback to the downpipe. I recently installed a turbo back and needed to adapt as well...but reverse. I have a 2.5" downpipe adapted to Invidia N1 3" catback.

I will say though, catless systems on our cars will most likely give you boost creeping issues. I am not saying for sure..but watch your logs and boost pressures.

The adapter I ended up getting was by Grimmspeed. There may be others but the grimmspeeds are popular. RSD website among others has them readily available.

Enjoy the stage 2!!
    If you have access to someone who works in an exhaust shop, you can cut and weld so there is no tapered adapter. That's what I did. You live in Ma? Lous Custom Exhaust. There all over the state. I would not go cat less. It can cause boost creep and other headaches you don't want. What I would recommend cutting out the tapered part (no adapter) weld in small high flow cat then it won't trip check engines but still datalog to monitor boost or get it Protuned. I have a place in Worchester that I go to for tune pm me if you want there name. Or there is a lot of people on this site that can help you tune as well. There are some really great guys on this site who are very passionate about WRX.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

I installed an Invidia catless downpipe on my 14 a couple months ago. It had a flat 3" 2 bolt flange, that bolted to the stock location 2 bolt ball flex flange using the flat gasket Invidia provided.

I ran it for a week with no leaks. I installed a 3" cat, with 3 bolt flanges, eliminating the bottle neck of the factory flange for a true 3" system turbo to tip. I did this to prevent boost creep, and if I get pulled over, I can show I'm running a cat.
    14 sedan Limited: AEM intake, Tomioka IC hose, Cobb AP V3, Invidia down pipe with 3" cat, custom 3" mandrel bent single exhaust, Aem air fuel gauge,Cobb knob,Perrin Pitch Stop mount, SPT front strut tower brace, K-Sport coilovers@1.5" drop.

07 Duramax LBZ- 26psi,intake, TBE, Diablosport programmer, Edge Insight with EGT, EGR block off, BD exhaust manifold, PPE fuel valve.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 100plus2Vegas View Post
    I installed an Invidia catless downpipe on my 14 a couple months ago. It had a flat 3" 2 bolt flange, that bolted to the stock location 2 bolt ball flex flange using the flat gasket Invidia provided.

I ran it for a week with no leaks. I installed a 3" cat, with 3 bolt flanges, eliminating the bottle neck of the factory flange for a true 3" system turbo to tip. I did this to prevent boost creep, and if I get pulled over, I can show I'm running a cat.
    You are right my friend. That is the best way to ensure car is not throwing bank one cat error. It will also cut the boost creep, but still datalog. You want to monitor the boost levels so you don't have an issue. The spliced in cat also allows the car to pass inspection in most states.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks a lot for the answers guys. I am a little worried about boost creep, but I'm hoping the stock SPT catback will help prevent it (?). I don't intend on changing the SPT exhaust out for an aftermarket catback because I love the sound of the SPT and I can't justify spending a ton of money on a quad tip exhaust for minimal power gains and a better sound.
    I ordered the grimmspeed 3" to 2.5" adapter today. I'm still not totally sure I need it, but I bought it so I'll use it. My understand (correct me if I'm wrong) is that it doesn't matter the sizes of the two pipes, but the actual connectors that connect them. Has the SPT exhaust changed at all over the years? I know people with 2011+ WRX's have had success connecting the 3" Invidia Downpipe to the SPT exhaust, but I don't know the extent of that success.
    I do trust you guys though and if you say I need the adapter then I'll use the adapter. I'm just interested in researching this a little bit more to maybe learn a couple things.

You guys are great

~Josh

I Support ClubWRX
    You can keep SPT Exhaust. Instead of the tapered adaptor. Cut the downpipe a little bit and get a high flow cat. Trust me my friend is having all kinds of problem with his 2013 Hatch exhaust. Get a HIGH FLOW CAT. It's wide open non restrictive flow. The downpipe will get trimmed and the end of SPT Where adaptor would go. Keep in mind that is not a legal exhaust. Pm me what town you live in, I can recommend some people to do install for you.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TownLine500 View Post
    You can keep SPT Exhaust. Instead of the tapered adaptor. Cut the downpipe a little bit and get a high flow cat. Trust me my friend is having all kinds of problem with his 2013 Hatch exhaust. Get a HIGH FLOW CAT. It's wide open non restrictive flow. The downpipe will get trimmed and the end of SPT Where adaptor would go. Keep in mind that is not a legal exhaust. Pm me what town you live in, I can recommend some people to do install for you.
    Thank you for your help man. I know it's not a legal exhaust but I know there are certain places where I can pass inspection. How much do you think it would cost? I don't need the exact price just a rough estimate. Again, thanks a lot man. Your help is truly appreciated. I know it's been said before but DAMN this pace is so bunch better than NASIOC!!!
    Last edited by SubaruWRXJosh; 08-02-2014 at 10:19 PM.