VF39 VS 16GXT

This is a discussion on VF39 VS 16GXT within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a vf39 sitting in my living room I'm considering selling it for a 16gxt is it worth it? ...

VF39 VS 16GXT

I have a vf39 sitting in my living room I'm considering selling it for a 16gxt is it worth it? A VF39 would be a budget build and I could run corn on a VF39 but I really dunno if it'd be worth it to do a 16gxt money wise. Wouldn't I get comparable results running corn on a VF39? Obviously the 16GXT is the overall better turbo right? how much CFM is the VF39 vs the 16GXT? I dunno wanna do a VF39 if its not worth it the reason I picked it up is cuz it would be a lot cheaper to run this VF39 by like $600.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

My dyno graph with a 16gxt is in the first post. Along with my mods, i cant really give insight to the vf39 other than i drove my friends wrx with one and it didnt really feel much faster than my stg2. Also im tuned on ACN91 (piss) octane so boost could have been higher but i was getting some knock. I'm sure with the gas in colorado you will get much better power band than me.

Edit: haha i forgot the link Zach's Hellafunctional 05 WRX
    2005 WRX (Silver) SoCal Subie
    Blobeye Syndicate #1093
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...al-05-wrx.html - Build Thread
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/34009765@N06/ - For whatever pics i take.
    Mikie13-Spend money on hookers and blow. That's a better intake.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    vf39 has a 36 lb/min compressor wheel, with a relatively small hot side. The 16g-XT has a 41 lb/min compressor wheel with a considerably larger turbine housing (especially if you get the 8cm housing). Both are journal bearing turbos.. other than the size difference, the 16g-XT has a billet aluminum compressor wheel with extended tips, resulting in a lighter wheel with more surface area than the standard cast aluminum wheel that is used in the vf39.

IHI vf39

Compressor Wheel Exducer: 60mm
    Compressor Wheel Inducer: 46.5mm
    Turbine Wheel Exducer: 53mm
    Trim: 82
    IHI P18 turbine housing

Blouch 16g-XT

Compressor Wheel Exducer: 64.3mm
    Compressor Wheel Inducer: 48.3mm
    Turbine Wheel Exducer: 49mm
    Trim: 77.95
    Blouch 7cm or 8cm (optional) turbine housing

The question is, do you want a quicker spooling turbo where power will drop off quickly past 5500rpm, or do you want a turbo that will make more power and hold it till 7000rpm? IS it worth it? I think only you can answer that question.