Loud whoosing sound, and car stalls... HELP!!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Loud whoosing sound, and car stalls... HELP!! within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Recently i bought an 02 wrx in rough condition, I rolled the dice because I've always wanted a Subaru. So ...

Loud whoosing sound, and car stalls... HELP!!

Recently i bought an 02 wrx in rough condition, I rolled the dice because I've always wanted a Subaru. So far I have installed an Invidia up pipe about 2 weeks ago, and fixed the coolant issue (was overheating). The previous owner tried to tell me Subie's run 5psi of boost stock as thats all the car would run. The car will now peak at about 8psi, but sometimes(rarely) the car will shut off WOT in 4th gear, and once in 3rd. No CEL lights, nothing. I will attach pics of the solenoid setup as the old owner has the bottom port plugged with a screw, and the wastegate and compressor nipple connected. NOW today I noticed in 4th and 5th gear a loud whooshing sound is present on passanger side when building and on boost. No vacuum leaks all my lines are good. I will attach pics of how the intake is running right now( I have k&n typhoon ordered). Any help with either problem would be appreciated. Thank you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0343.JPG   DSC_0344.JPG   DSC_0345.JPG  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    First of all, I WOULD NOT be going WOT until it is all fixed and properly tuned. Honestly, I wouldn't even drive it in that condition. ej motors don't hold up well to overheating.. usually all it takes is one time to warp the heads, then you need to tear it all down and have the heads/block decked at the very least.

The way the vacuum lines are routed right now will run spring pressure at the wastegate. As far as the whoosing sound, I would suspect a massive boost leak, probably at the intercooler to throttle body coupler. Though it could also be a pre-turbo exhaust leak. You say there are no vacuum leaks, was this tested with a boost leak tester or smoke machine?

As far as the intake.. you might actually be better off with it like that than with the K&N Typhoon. The MAF scaling will be pretty off with the Typhoon, and I may be wrong, but I believe that intake is one of the worst as far as turbulance around the MAF sensor giving screwy readings.

I fixed the cooling issue; bad thermostat and it has ran great since then. I used soap and water on all connections and hoses, I did find a small leak on up pipe to turbo connection but re-tightened everything, made sure gasket was lined up, and there were no more leaks, and spooled great and I had no noise. Now today i get the very loud sound. I will check Y pipe and all intercooler connections and reply back

Will the typhoon cause the car to run rough or lean?
    Thanks!

If you're not pressurizing the system then soap and water isn't going to tell you much.

The Typhoon could cause both of those problems unless you tune for it correctly. Although the 02-03 models weren't as picky about intake changes as later year models..

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd also try to figure out why the previous owner was running off of wastegate spring pressure only. My guess is they had a manual boost controller, but it sold it off for some extra cash before selling the car to you. I try to find an OEM boost control solenoid, and setup a datalogger like the OpenPort2.0 to see what's going on.

Is the car tuned? What is the full mod list?
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Mainframe- I sprayed lines & connections on a cold start so they wouldn't evaporate from heat, then applied throttle and found air from uppipe connection.

Rambo- Everything is bone stock except for uppipe, exhaust, BOV and ebay intercooler. I would also guess he had a MBC, but he gave me a 3 port grimmspeed solenoid with the car, still in box and wrap, untouched. The car isn't tuned currently but as soon as I have the time and get everything straightened out, I plan to install grimmspeed BCS and get a tune.

Quote Originally Posted by 02_Subie View Post
    Mainframe- I sprayed lines & connections on a cold start so they wouldn't evaporate from heat, then applied throttle and found air from uppipe connection.

But without the system pressurized there won't be any air trying to escape.. therefore soap and water won't do anything to show you a boost leak. You have to hook a boost leak tester to the turbo inlet and fill it with compressed air.

Ahhh i get you now.. I figured since it found my pre turbo leak it would do the same with vac lines. But as you stated it needs to be compressed
    For the time being, I removed intercooler, lines, ect and made sure everything was secure. If it continues, I will test with the leak tester. I just hope it's nothing concerning the turbo.. the car and turbo have 89xxx miles on them

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.