Need Cat Exhaust to Pass Emissions
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Need Cat Exhaust to Pass Emissions within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I drive a 2003 WRX sedan that has an aftermarket turbo-back exhaust that was installed by the previous owner. I ...

Need Cat Exhaust to Pass Emissions

I drive a 2003 WRX sedan that has an aftermarket turbo-back exhaust that was installed by the previous owner. I failed emissions since the exhaust doesn't have any cat converters on it (I live in Utah). I need to purchase an exhaust that I can use to swap out so it will pass emissions. I found this exhaust on ebay, and I wanted to hear all of your guys' suggestions before I buy it. Do you think it will work, or is there another route I should go?

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX Exhaust System Rust Free | eBay

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I don't see the downpipe in their pictures.. and that's probably the only part you would actually need.

I have a used stock dp from a 2004 WRX. I can't ensure you that it will pass emissions, but I am willing to sell it to you if you are interested. PM if you are interested.
    That awkward moment when you realize that an energy drink company has a better space program than your country...

What are your requirements for passing emissions? Is it just a visual inspection? Do they do a sniffer test? Do they test the car under load? What is the acceptable NOx levels you have to achieve to be passed?

For what it's worth, both of the links you've posted seem over priced to me. I would think you should be able to get your hands on a used OEM downpipe for your car for $50 or less.

For Utah I'm not 100% sure what the regulations are for emissions, but I'm a bit more confused now that I look at the report from this year and last year. Last year it passed after I put a stock exhaust on from the turbo back with cats. The report says this for the OBD II Readiness Monitors: Misfire N/A, Fuel Sys Ready, Comp. Ready, Catalyst N/A, Heated Cat N/A, Evap Sys N/A, Air System N/A, A/C Refig. N/A, O2 Sensor Ready, O2 Heater Ready, EGR Sys. N/A, KOEO PASS, KOER PASS.
    This year I left on the exhaust WITHOUT cats, and the report came back exactly the same, except everything on the report that said N/A last year now says NOT SUPPORTED. I'm not sure where to go from here...

I'm having a hard time finding cat'ed up or down pipes. What do you guys think about the two below?

Exhaust Classifieds for Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming | ksl.com
    Exhaust Classifieds for Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming | ksl.com

I would not put a catted uppipe back on the car. That will only effect cold start emissions, which I highly doubt are being tested.

So when you went to get inspected they never said anything about why you failed? And you don't even know how the car is tested? Now I'm confused, lol. Do you have someone else take your car for inspections or something? Every time I have had a vehicle inspected I'm standing right there with them as they do the inspection, and if there is ever a problem passing they will tell me what it is and exactly what I need to do to make it pass..

How it passed visual is beyond me, since I know there are not cats on my car. I talked to the guy that did my test, and he said basically I need my computer to read "ready" or whatever the good-to-go status is for my emissions sensors. I think when my car was tuned they disabled all those sensors.

I took my car to a guy to basically update my computer to read "ready" on those sensors, but he said it's tuned with Carberry and that I'll have to basically create a whole new tune from the ground up. so lost haha

Hmm.. I know you can force readiness easy enough using ECUFlash.

I guess it's possible that option isn't available with the Carberry rom, I've never looked into it. Either way, that means replacing the exhaust isn't going to do anything to help you pass emissions.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.