Mods with efficiency in mind
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Mods with efficiency in mind within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I would like some insight from others who may have gone this route or similar. First off let me say ...

Mods with efficiency in mind

I would like some insight from others who may have gone this route or similar. First off let me say that I'm not concerned with big power output. I plan on sticking with my stock turbo, or maybe a vf34 at most. Not looking to go higher then 17ish psi. My goals are to make my car as efficient as possible. Being able to get the power to the wheels is far more important to me as is torque over peak hp. So with that, here are some ideas I've been throwing around. These are listed in the order I plan to do them. ? next to it means I'm not sure if it's relevant to my goals.

GS up pipe (on the way)
    Cobb AP (on the way)
    GS x pipe
    PnP exhaust manifold (will do myself)
    Trying to get these done at same time so I don't have to take it apart again later.

Catted DP
    PnP turbo w/ceramic coat ( will also run heat shield)
    STi cat back
    EBCS

STi TMIC w/GS Y pipe
    PnP intake manifold w/ceramic coating
    8mm Phenolic spacers
    TGV delete? Or at least getting them coated
    STi injectors?
    Fuel pump?
    Large core radiator?
    PnP throttle body?

Beyond this the majority of work will be to the drivetrain and suspension to get the power to the wheels. I will eventually be using protunes set for maximizing torque. It will be a DD and auto x with the occasional track day.

Any advice on this? Remember my goal is efficiency and torque not max hp.
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    What kind of car do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    What kind of car do you have?
    Sorry thought people would look at my info. 05 Saab 9-2x Aero.

Okay.. unless you're upgrading the turbo I wouldn't bother with injectors or fuel pump. And unless you're overheating, I wouldn't mess with the radiator.

Looks like you're on the right track. Other things I would add are light weight wheels, and a CF drive shaft. I would do the TGV delete, but I wouldn't bother getting them coated, unless you just want to for looks. Catless exhaust would be more efficient than catted.. PnP throttle body helps improve throttle response, and is easy to do (I'm actually selling my old ported intake manifold and throttle body). You could also look into having the turbo ported.. and EWG is always going to be more efficient than the IWG on your turbo.

Man that is almost my dream list all at once. Keep us posted on results!
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

Mainframe,
    Yes PnP turbo is listed. Planning on doing that at the same time I do the DP. If the TGV delete is worth it then I'd get the ceramic at the same time since only an extra $30. The way I figure it is anything that will help keep intake temps down is a plus, though I'm not a fan of wrapping. Had it destroy a header on a Nissan I owned a while ago.

I have a whole list of other things I am planning and didn't mention because this thread is power related, but some of them are:
    OZ Allegarita wheels 17x8
    Aluminum front control arms
    CF drive shaft
    STi tranny
    Primitive Racing flywheel
    Exedy OEM STi clutch
    All bushings
    Mann Engineering Type-25 inverted coilovers
    Perrin 22mm sway bars (already have end links from my last subaru)
    And still trying to figure out seats since the Saab seats suck. Thinking STi but not sure yet. There are other odds and ends that will done as well, but this is the meat and potatoes of the entire build.

Why do you want to switch to the STi transmission?
    David - '05 WRX

Quote Originally Posted by Obeisance View Post

valid question.. that will work against your efficiency goals, since it's heavier

Closer ratio for auto x and longevity with higher torque

Quote Originally Posted by snow_bound26 View Post
    Closer ratio for auto x and longevity with higher torque

Wouldn't you want the longer ratio for auto-x though? A lot of people I know will run the whole course in 2nd gear.. can't do that with the six speed.

Have you considered any unorthodox lightweighting modifications like a Li battery or a thermoelectric generator (to replace the alternator)? I hope to experiment with weight reduction sometime in the future since my car feels overweight.
    David - '05 WRX

Wouldn't you want the longer ratio for auto-x though? A lot of people I know will run the whole course in 2nd gear.. can't do that with the six speed.
    It's been a while since I've done any auto x, but the last car I used was a 95 240sx. I found myself running on the rev limiter too often in 2nd and it bogged in some corners in 3rd. I had drive a friends Integra GSR at one event and was able to stay in 3rd most of the time. We both had similar power on our cars, but his tranny had a close ratio gear set which I liked better. I only drove a US STi once and don't really remember much other then bouncing off the limiter every time I mashed it to the floor. I'm not really leaning toward a US model, but would prefer a v7 JDM STi tranny since it's also good on track days as well.

Have you considered any unorthodox lightweighting modifications like a Li battery or a thermoelectric generator (to replace the alternator)? I hope to experiment with weight reduction sometime in the future since my car feels overweight.
    I haven't looked too much into lightening yet. It is in the plans though. I just want to do it in a way that won't affect the DD comforts such as too much noise. If something is truly reliable then I will look into it, but I need proof that it will work as good before I do it. Nothing on my mod list is set in stone until I order it. I've only had this car for 3 weeks and this seems like a solid foundation to build upon as I further my research and time behind the wheel

How fast do you think you're going to be going on the auto-x course? With the five speed in my car it doesn't redline until 87mph in 2nd gear.. although it's pretty heavily modded.

With the five speed in my car it doesn't redline until 87mph in 2nd gear.. although it's pretty heavily modded.
    How modded is your tranny? Or what are you redlining at? I'll check again to make sure, but I'm pretty sure my stock redline and tranny top out at 55ish.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.