Mods with efficiency in mind - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 23 of 23

This is a discussion on Mods with efficiency in mind within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have the JDM five speed STi gear set (v5 I believe), and 8500rpm redline. This is what I used ...

  1. #16
    OMG WTF MainFrame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    8,712
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I have the JDM five speed STi gear set (v5 I believe), and 8500rpm redline.



    This is what I used to calculate.. Oakos Automotive - Subaru Impreza WRX Performance Parts : WRX MPH & RPM Calculator




    For what it's worth, I remember doing 65mph in 2nd gear back when I first got my WRX in 2002.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #17
    ClubWRX.net Vendor WTF Tuning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    51
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by snow_bound26
    I would like some insight from others who may have gone this route or similar. First off let me say that I'm not concerned with big power output. I plan on sticking with my stock turbo, or maybe a vf34 at most. Not looking to go higher then 17ish psi.
    Where does the 17PSI number come from? Is that just some arbitrary value? Are you going to be self-tuning the vehicle or will someone do it for you?

    Quote Originally Posted by snow_bound26
    GS up pipe (on the way)
    Cobb AP (on the way)
    GS x pipe
    PnP exhaust manifold (will do myself)
    Trying to get these done at same time so I don't have to take it apart again later.
    An EL manifold will be better than ported manifolds and a crosspipe. Something with small-diameter primaries (e.g., Perrin) would be what you would want. You'll get better spool, and should be able to run a little more ignition advance with a tubular EL manifold vs cast OE one.

    Quote Originally Posted by snow_bound26
    Catted DP
    PnP turbo w/ceramic coat ( will also run heat shield)
    STi cat back
    EBCS
    Catless will yield more power and better response than catted, especially with a cat close to the turbo (e.g., Invidia). Skip ceramic coating the turbo; buy a turbo blanket instead. The STI catback doesn't really do much for you, so don't pay too much. Invidia Q300 adds a subtle amount of volume, looks stock (so NY police are less likely to hit you for that BS "modified exhaust" statute), full 3", and is pretty reasonably priced (for an aftermarket catback).

    Quote Originally Posted by snow_bound26
    STi TMIC w/GS Y pipe
    PnP intake manifold w/ceramic coating
    8mm Phenolic spacers
    TGV delete? Or at least getting them coated
    STi injectors?
    Fuel pump?
    Large core radiator?
    PnP throttle body?
    STI TMIC isn't really an upgrade for your car; unless you're getting it free, I wouldn't bother. Look into aftermarket (e.g., ProcessWest or ETS) or don't bother.

    Don't bother with a ported intake manifold. Focus that money on the tubular exhaust manifold or aftermarket TMIC instead.

    8mm spacers will be tough with a TMIC. You'll want something more along the lines of 3mm (8mm are more for FMIC setups).

    If you're going to bother with the install of TGVs, you want the flappers deleted. It's a PITA install.

    Pump/injectors I wouldn't bother with; focus that money on the tubular exhaust manifold or aftermarket TMIC instead. If you do go with injectors, you'll need top-feed ones (only '07+ STI injectors are TF). If you go aftermarket, go Injector Dynamics. Since they are all the same price, ID1000s are what you want (they're easy to tune, and will be easier to sell down the road as the market will be bigger).

    Until your radiator becomes a problem (e.g., cooling capacity or the plastic tanks break), don't address it.

    PnP TB...up to you. If you have the means to DIY port it, I would do it. I personally wouldn't pay for it to be done.

  4. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Lake Placid, NY
    Posts
    26
    "Where does the 17PSI number come from? Is that just some arbitrary value? Are you going to be self-tuning the vehicle or will someone do it for you?"

    The 17 psi come for research I've done regarding safe boost levels with the stock td04 in order to remain reliable. I have spoke to a local tuner who specializes with Subaru's about eventually doing a protune and he was estimating 17-18 psi as an eventual target. Based upon my personal knowledge I was figuring in the 16-17 range. I am not married to numbers. We will evaluate when the time comes and do what is best for the car so that it remains reliable. I also don't want to push this turbo too far. He said that going above 19 psi on a stock turbo great increases the chance of blowing the turbo. As I said, this will also be a DD. I am also not concerned with going over 300hp/300ft lb. I would prefer torque to be closer to 300 then hp. I really want to concentrate on the low to mid range capabilities of this car.

  5. #19
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,862
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by snow_bound26
    The 17 psi come for research I've done regarding safe boost levels with the stock td04 in order to remain reliable. I have spoke to a local tuner who specializes with Subaru's about eventually doing a protune and he was estimating 17-18 psi as an eventual target. Based upon my personal knowledge I was figuring in the 16-17 range. I am not married to numbers. We will evaluate when the time comes and do what is best for the car so that it remains reliable. I also don't want to push this turbo too far. He said that going above 19 psi on a stock turbo great increases the chance of blowing the turbo. As I said, this will also be a DD. I am also not concerned with going over 300hp/300ft lb. I would prefer torque to be closer to 300 then hp. I really want to concentrate on the low to mid range capabilities of this car.
    I know the shop you're referring to. On a stock TMIC, I would agree with that assessment. However, go with an aftermarket TMIC like I suggested earlier, and the 17-18PSI isn't as "set in stone".

    For an "efficient stock turbo" Auto-X setup, my recommendation...
    EL tubular manifold
    EWG uppipe (less EGBP)
    Catless TBE (plenty of us pass NY inspection without cats)
    Manual boost controller (no EBCS can match the response of a good MBC); can be paired with EBCS to combat potential issues like no boost cut / part-throttle full-boost
    Intake (while not big power gain, it will improve turbo efficiency)
    Turbo inlet / MAF hose (remove the plastic accordion pieces)
    Aftermarket TMIC

    TGVs are nice, but considering the pain of an install, I wouldn't bother with them, personally. I also wouldn't bother with PnPing the turbo. Focus the money from those towards the list above or mounts/bushings (since it's likely most of the OE ones are pretty beat by this point).
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

  6. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Lake Placid, NY
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    TGVs are nice, but considering the pain of an install, I wouldn't bother with them, personally. I also wouldn't bother with PnPing the turbo. Focus the money from those towards the list above or mounts/bushings (since it's likely most of the OE ones are pretty beat by this point).
    I am going to do a PnP on the intake manifold and get it coated as well. I know some people say it's not worth it, but I am going to do most things that will help with intake temps, so while I'm in there I'm just gonna do the TGVs. If it's got to come apart, then I'd rather only do it once.

    One reason I want to stay with a catted DP is because I drive across the country twice a year (work seasonally in SLC) so I do want to keep highway drone to a minimum. I have been in a few catless WRXs and found catless does increase rasp a bit which I don't like. Yes I want efficient, but let's be reasonable, if complete efficiency is all that matters then I wouldn't be driving a turbo. A good n/a is more efficient in my experience.

    As for the tmic, I have been looking into meth/water injection and am wondering if that is better bang for the buck then going with a larger core? It seems the additional benefit of reducing detonation is also nice to have.

    As stated in a different post on this thread, I will be replacing all bushings, going to aluminum LCAs, coilovers, larger sways, and some chassis bracing.

    As for the shop, have you had or know anyone who has had any experience with Moon Performance? They are the only tuner in the area, but the shop that works along side them left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Brought my girlfriends car in for a simple inspection and they returned it with an $1800 quote. Went to a shop next to where I work (who I usually deal with), showed him the quote and asked for a second opinion. $57 later the car was inspected and everything was good. Just needed a couple bulbs replaced.

    On another note, I have been looking at turbo inlets and was wondering if the Samco is worth the extra money over the Perrin inlet? I've been reading great reviews on both.
    Last edited by snow_bound26; 07-21-2014 at 07:35 PM.

  7. #21
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,862
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by snow_bound26
    I am going to do a PnP on the intake manifold and get it coated as well. I know some people say it's not worth it, but I am going to do most things that will help with intake temps, so while I'm in there I'm just gonna do the TGVs. If it's got to come apart, then I'd rather only do it once.
    The other items I listed are more important in terms of efficiency than either the TGVs or the IM (coating or not). TGVs and IM will do little to affect IATs. A better TMIC or chemical intercooling (E85 or water/meth) will be far better money spent if that's your goal.

    The only reason you bother doing TGVs is when you are in there for something else and are removing items already, or you're bored. You never do IM without doing TGVs.

    Quote Originally Posted by snow_bound26
    As for the tmic, I have been looking into meth/water injection and am wondering if that is better bang for the buck then going with a larger core? It seems the additional benefit of reducing detonation is also nice to have.
    Depends on how heavily dependent on the injection system you setup the ECU parameters to be. You can tune the car more aggressively with methanol vs aftermarket TMIC.

    Quote Originally Posted by snow_bound26
    As for the shop, have you had or know anyone who has had any experience with Moon Performance?
    I've put my car on their dyno, but have not been tuned by them. I don't know anyone who's been tuned by Moon since Seth was fired years ago.

    Quote Originally Posted by snow_bound26
    On another note, I have been looking at turbo inlets and was wondering if the Samco is worth the extra money over the Perrin inlet? I've been reading great reviews on both.
    Before other inlets were reinforced, yes. Now, not so much.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

  8. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Lake Placid, NY
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    The other items I listed are more important in terms of efficiency than either the TGVs or the IM (coating or not). TGVs and IM will do little to affect IATs. A better TMIC or chemical intercooling (E85 or water/meth) will be far better money spent if that's your goal.

    The only reason you bother doing TGVs is when you are in there for something else and are removing items already, or you're bored. You never do IM without doing TGVs.
    I never said anything about not doing other things first or placing an order of importance. I am going to be in there for phenolic spacers which I do consider important and is fairly high on my list (probably in the spring), so I will be doing the IM and TGVs at the same time.

    I have a plan to get done before I leave for UT and this includes:
    Up pipe
    PnP exhaust manifold since I can do it myself
    X pipe
    DP
    Catback - though not as important right now. If I find something for the right price then I'll go for it, but otherwise it will wait til spring.

    During the winter I am planning on suspension bits and chassis reinforcement.

    For the time being I want to run Cobb stage 2 and get a feel for it and decide what direction to go with a pro tune next year. Taking time to drive the car for a while will allow me to feel its characteristics and then go from there. I know it was said to just to ELH, but I'm not sure I want to give up the rumble and I can always sell the PnP'd manifold with x-pipe later on.

  9. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Lake Placid, NY
    Posts
    26
    Has anyone here used the TXS DP? I like the idea of being able to swap out the mid pipe for DD or track days.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •