Heat shielding
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

This is a discussion on Heat shielding within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi!: I was looking to see if anyone has any experience with DEI reflectagold. I'm thinking of lining my GS ...

  1. #1
    The Guy On The Couch TownLine500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,903
    I Support ClubWRX

    Heat shielding

    Hi!:
    I was looking to see if anyone has any experience with DEI reflectagold.
    I'm thinking of lining my GS heat shield with it. And maybe the part of the DP in the engine bay.
    Has anyone done this before? This stuff says its good to 800 degrees. Does the down pipe even get that hot under normal driving conditions? Any input would be appreciated.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

    2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

    My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    The Guy On The Couch TownLine500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,903
    I Support ClubWRX
    Hi!
    Has anyone had any experience with DEI reflectagold?
    Looking for opinions, any input will be helpful.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

    2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

    My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

  4. #3
    ClubWRX.net Vendor WTF Tuning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    51
    I Support ClubWRX
    It would be worthwhile to put on the TMIC, but on the downpipe, you want exhaust wrap.

    Instead of wasting any time with the heatshield, get a turbo blanket.

  5. #4
    Moderator   Sasquatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Southeastern PA
    Posts
    31,260
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WTF Tuning View Post
    It would be worthwhile to put on the TMIC, but on the downpipe, you want exhaust wrap.

    Instead of wasting any time with the heatshield, get a turbo blanket.
    Agreed. The gold stuff is limited to what it can do under the hood. I did a DIY turbo blanket that seems to be working very well.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

  6. #5
    The Guy On The Couch TownLine500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,903
    I Support ClubWRX
    I have a ptp turbo blanket. I have seen pictures with the Cobb or Grimpeed heat shield lined with DEI reflectagold. I'm wondering if gold liner with turbo blanket and heat shield might be over kill. Or may even cause coolant over heat? It looked good in pictures but I'm not so sure now. I also thought of lining the Cobb air box on the outside facing engine, I have also see quite a few pictures of them lined. And Sasquatch do you have a heat shield over your turbo blanket? If so what make or brand?
    STINK EYE MOB #500

    2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

    My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

  7. #6
    Moderator   Sasquatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Southeastern PA
    Posts
    31,260
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TownLine500 View Post
    Sasquatch do you have a heat shield over your turbo blanket? If so what make or brand?
    Yes, it is a custom fit / cut wrap using a Thermotec kit. I have a post or two on it - I'll see if I can dig them up. The heat shield is by Cobb - very similar to the GrimmSpeed. I'm thinking the gold stuff might prevent the heat shield from doing its job, namely absorbing and dissipating heat. Zax is our resident guru on the subject ...

    Here it is: Fuel pump, injectors, TGV deletes and TD04 19T

    This became a very lively discussion thread chock full of good info that went way beyond the install.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

  8. #7
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,863
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TownLine500
    I have a ptp turbo blanket. I have seen pictures with the Cobb or Grimpeed heat shield lined with DEI reflectagold. I'm wondering if gold liner with turbo blanket and heat shield might be over kill. Or may even cause coolant over heat? It looked good in pictures but I'm not so sure now. I also thought of lining the Cobb air box on the outside facing engine, I have also see quite a few pictures of them lined. And Sasquatch do you have a heat shield over your turbo blanket? If so what make or brand?
    I wouldn't bother with a heat shield, then...it's really not doing much of anything at that point, if you have the blanket on there. At least, I wouldn't purchase an aftermarket unit; if anything just use the stocker if you want to "double up", but it really only makes it one more thing you have to remove/replace every time you have to work in there.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

  9. #8
    The Guy On The Couch TownLine500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,903
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Yes, it is a custom fit / cut wrap using a Thermotec kit. I have a post or two on it - I'll see if I can dig them up. The heat shield is by Cobb - very similar to the GrimmSpeed. I'm thinking the gold stuff might prevent the heat shield from doing its job, namely absorbing and dissipating heat. Zax is our resident guru on the subject ...

    Here it is: Fuel pump, injectors, TGV deletes and TD04 19T

    This became a very lively discussion thread chock full of good info that went way beyond the install.


    Thanks for the info thread. It was very informative and even answered several other questions that I had. A question for you. Did the combination of turbo blanket and heat shield combined, ever cause your coolant to over heat on hot days? Or did the coolant just get a bit warmer? And also how long did you run that setup for?
    STINK EYE MOB #500

    2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

    My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

  10. #9
    The Guy On The Couch TownLine500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,903
    I Support ClubWRX
    Changed my avatar picture to my old car. Look familiar Sasquatch?
    STINK EYE MOB #500

    2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

    My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

  11. #10
    The Guy On The Couch TownLine500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,903
    I Support ClubWRX
    Update.
    I ended up with GrimSpeed heat shield over my ptp turbo blanket. Looks sharp. I lined the outside of Cobb air box with reflectagold. Left top plate black. You can barely see the gold and seems to be providing good heat dispersal. Plus it looks SWEET!!
    STINK EYE MOB #500

    2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

    My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

  12. #11
    Moderator   Sasquatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Southeastern PA
    Posts
    31,260
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TownLine500 View Post
    Thanks for the info thread. It was very informative and even answered several other questions that I had. A question for you. Did the combination of turbo blanket and heat shield combined, ever cause your coolant to over heat on hot days? Or did the coolant just get a bit warmer? And also how long did you run that setup for?
    Still have that setup. Never a problem with coolant getting too hot. I doubt a wrap could cause that.

    Quote Originally Posted by TownLine500 View Post
    Changed my avatar picture to my old car. Look familiar Sasquatch?
    Ah yep, 'cept I left the side skirts black. Matches the tires nicely.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •