Intercooler questions
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Intercooler questions within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Im looking to upgrade my turbo soon, i already have a turbo back exhaust and n accessport tune. Are there ...

Intercooler questions

Im looking to upgrade my turbo soon, i already have a turbo back exhaust and n accessport tune. Are there any top mount intercoolers that i could get if i got a Blouch TD05H-18GXT-R turbo? Also plan on doing an intake and uppipe before that too.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    And you have what vehicle?
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

05 wrx

I Support ClubWRX
    Any aftermarket TMIC will work.

Sent from my magic banana...
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Thank you. Also, if im looking to get 270-300 hp as a final product after the turbo and tmic what else should i be looking for? Injectors, fuel pump? And how bad would i need to build the tranny?

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Process West and the ETS TMIC are two of the best.. I wouldn't waste your money on eBay knock off parts, or a STi TMIC for that matter.

With a turbo upgrade you will certainly need new injectors and fuel pump, as well as a better intercooler, catless uppipe, and turbo back exhaust. Other parts that would be beneficial would be things like a 3-port EBCS, equal length headers, and an external waste gate.

Your transmission depends entirely on how you drive the car. You could blow the transmission up at stock power levels if you drive it hard.. the more power the engine makes, the more careful you will need to be with the transmission to keep it working.

I was actually looking at the mishimoto tmic. I like that you can get it in black, and what about unequal length headers? I was interested in borla and actually planned on getting them down the road but didnt make it a major priority because people say it isnt that much of an increase in power or sound, the two best things lol. I just want to invest my time and money wisely so i dont ruin anything. I thought i would need to build the tranny when i got to stage two because i see a lot of people saying the wrx tranny is "glass".

And what cc injectors would you recommend? I was thinking between 650 and 850

I Support ClubWRX
    You don't need headers for stage 2. I'd go with the minimal hardware necessary first, plus a good engine map suitable for that specific hardware and also suitable for your available fuel. See if you like the car.

Let's say for the sake of argument that the "tranny is glass" and assume we're talking about gearboxes being fragile, not humans (I dislike the word "tranny" much more than the term "glass" to describe it). What does that change? Rebuilding it, replacing it with something better, or strengthening it with better internals don't make financial sense because you could easily reach 50% or more of the value of the entire car.

So, the gearbox is what it is. Your best option is to not break it. Your second best option, if you do break it, is to get another one just like it, used, and to not break that one. Etc.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Unequal length headers are a waste of money IMO. I would either get equal length, or none at all. And I would prefer not to have a black TMIC.. that will only make heat soak issues worse.

My recommendation for injectors is ID1000s.

MTM
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Unequal length headers are a waste of money IMO. I would either get equal length, or none at all. And I would prefer not to have a black TMIC.. that will only make heat soak issues worse.

My recommendation for injectors is ID1000s.
    This is not true. (Black TMIC)

Especially some of the ones that come with heat dissipation coatings.

DONT MAKE ME DROP SOME KNOWLEDGE ON YOU YO!

Ill be offering heat dissipation coatings soon im hoping as soon as I get the ceramic coatings done. but I digress...
    Last edited by MTM; 07-11-2014 at 03:39 PM.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by MTM View Post
    This is not true.

Especially some of the ones that come with heat dissipation coatings.

DONT MAKE ME DROP SOME KNOWLEDGE ON YOU YO!

Ill be offering heat dissipation coatings soon im hoping as soon as I get the ceramic coatings done. but I digress...
    No, it's true. Unequal length header is an utter waste of time.

If you're replacing the part with a (presumably) improved part, why would you choose the part that sucks more?

EDIT:
    Wait, are you talking about the TMIC coating or the ELH?

If you are talking about the coating, Robin is also correct. Black anodize WILL dissipate heat quicker, but will also absorb heat quicker i.e. more prone to heat soak. There was a recent Mighty Car Mods that discussed black coating. I completely disagree with the conclusion.

Black coating = faster heat dissipation (radiative), faster heat absorption, lower heat transfer due to convection
    Silver coating = slower heat dissipation (radiative), slower heat absorption, higher heat transfer due to convection

When the car is moving, you are primarily transferring heat via convection. When you are sitting still, generally the turbocharger is not compressing air. Therefore, the black TMIC mostly acts as a charge HEATER while sitting at a stoplight and less like a charge COOLER when moving. The only exception to this rule is if you are constantly soaking the intercooler then sitting for long periods of time.
    Last edited by zax; 07-11-2014 at 03:24 PM.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    No, it's true. Unequal length header is an utter waste of time.

If you're replacing the part with a (presumably) improved part, why would you choose the part that sucks more?
    I think he is referring to the black tmic. I agree with you on the uel!
    Drive like hell, you will get there faster!

Warranty friendly mods for now-
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ml#post3579257

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by Goose42 View Post
    I think he is referring to the black tmic. I agree with you on the uel!
    Yeah I noticed and edited the post
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

MTM
    Cerakote Coatings: C-187Q Transfer Grey (Air Cure)

Ill find links that actually support me later if you really want me to. Notice I said thats not true about black but then said especially with heat dissipation coatings... liiiiike what I just linked. They have researched it and Ill have to find the data sheets and stuff. But yeah its about color somewhat but its also about the material you are using. The example I used it gray, and not black.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast